Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2831970)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dessert 2011 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series

Series website Here

Proferred in some sections in the motorsport media as the 3rd V8Supercar category, despite no official connection with that organisation, the Kumho Tyres (nee Shannons) series offers a home for V8Supercars amongst others that are out of homologation.

It seems to have some good cars in it, ones with strong provenance, with the 2003 development series winner running up until recently, plus other ex-main game chassis.

Lets start the chat... it will probably help the chassis number tragics where the old cars have ended up...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Feb 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2831971)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jose Fernandez to run 2 cars

A home for BM001 and BM003 presumably
Old 17 Feb 2011, 04:17 (Ref:2832487)   #3
mr hdt
Rookie

mr hdt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill be starting this year in pe037.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2838318)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Looks like the lineup is very strong, perhaps better than in Fujitsu, presuming they all show. Story Here

Old 1 Mar 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2838323)   #5
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring on Wakefield!!!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2838403)   #6
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
321ignitionmag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The amount of good news circulating about the Kumho V8 Touring Car Series is quite incredible. Last year it started to look strong, but I don't think anyone expected this and already there's talk of new cars towards the end of this season and certainly for next year.

I think full credit should go to the organisers who have stuck with the series, especially when 12 months ago round one saw four cars..
Old 2 Mar 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2838835)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't the Andrew Manson purchased chassis being described by Mr Manson in MeNews as "It's got a lot of potential... It should be a gun car when its finished (engine installed)" the same chassis campaigned by Marcus Marshall/Britek and previously affectionately known as "The Britek Barge"?

seems a strange way of describing the vehicle!
Old 2 Mar 2011, 02:43 (Ref:2838843)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
isn't the Andrew Manson purchased chassis being described by Mr Manson in MeNews as "It's got a lot of potential... It should be a gun car when its finished (engine installed)" the same chassis campaigned by Marcus Marshall/Britek and previously affectionately known as "The Britek Barge"?

seems a strange way of describing the vehicle!
Presumably it is also running a genuine FPR engine (maybe the ex-FRSR one on my105 for so long), so if put back to FPR specs.. could be a surprise..

Best car in that field is probably Mr Smerdon's SBR BA..
Old 2 Mar 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2838880)   #9
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Manson BA..

Correct me if I'm wrong, and it was certainly Andrew's belief, but this could be the only V8 Touring Car that hasn't done the hard yards in the Development Series.. Andrew's no slouch either having won a variety of tarmac rallies in an ex-Ordynski EVO8 a few years back, so he could shake the regulars a bit..

Missing round one won't help though, especially when guys like Terry Wyhoon are prepping already and have a mountain of experience - they start testing this week too for anyone interested, Friday - Winton..
Old 2 Mar 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2838919)   #10
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FPR built Fernandez BA and Graham Stewart's ex Tomas Mezera VT both have no development series form as I understand, the latter last raced at Adelaide way back in April 2001.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2838962)   #11
johnnyp25
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
johnnyp25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smerdons car has not entered Fujitsu unless Jason Bright slipped up when the Fujitsu lime green war painted BF went out in the wrong session.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2838968)   #12
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp25 View Post
Smerdons car has not entered Fujitsu unless Jason Bright slipped up when the Fujitsu lime green war painted BF went out in the wrong session.
Very good point, that came straight from SBR still with Courtney livery.. wasn't sure about Fernandez car, will double check that with the legend himself, and thanks for the update on the Mezera car - with so many white VT/VX Commodores floating around recently (Wyhoon/Neville & Wallis) I wasn't sure, again will be checking as many facts as possible..
Old 2 Mar 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2838983)   #13
johnnyp25
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
johnnyp25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Wallis car is ex Murphy Racing, Nevilles car is sold to Sheppard for this years Kuhmo
Old 2 Mar 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2838996)   #14
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Reindler raced it in 2 development series rounds in 09 in Fujitsu colours.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2839000)   #15
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Adam Wallis car is ex Murphy Racing
Thought Wallis purchased TWR046 that Murphy raced at both Kmart and PWR.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2839036)   #16
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's correct. I think it's still in VZ trim so Adam will be running in the Fujitsu series.

Does anyone know the pedigree of the Matt Hansen VY? The entry list says the background is HRT but which chassis! I didn't think there were any left in VY trim. Presunably, this is a replacement for the AU (was this the original ex Caterpillar car?).

And is Jim Pollicina's ex Tasman VY the ex Lansvale car run by Scott Loadsman until he acquired the ex PMM chassis?

Finally, I think the Delfsma car is ex Craig Bastian, not ex PWR. It's the chassis built up by Bastian in 2003 and lightly raced, until being acquired a few years ago by the Sherrins.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2839038)   #17
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60 View Post
That's correct. I think it's still in VZ trim so Adam will be running in the Fujitsu series.

Does anyone know the pedigree of the Matt Hansen VY? The entry list says the background is HRT but which chassis! I didn't think there were any left in VY trim. Presunably, this is a replacement for the AU (was this the original ex Caterpillar car?).

And is Jim Pollicina's ex Tasman VY the ex Lansvale car run by Scott Loadsman until he acquired the ex PMM chassis?

Finally, I think the Delfsma car is ex Craig Bastian, not ex PWR. It's the chassis built up by Bastian in 2003 and lightly raced, until being acquired a few years ago by the Sherrins.
With you on the Delfsma car, it was quoted as being ex-Bastian in a release for the V8TC's last year. Am checking that with Chris. As for Hansen's VY, it should be HRT054?? (details on the computer at work so going from memory - dangerous), purchased I believe from McNally..

As for Pollicina's car, Wally Storey built I think, so could be ex-Lansvale, again, another one I'm waiting on confirmation for - all will be revealed in the next issue of 321Ignition in time for the opening Kumho Tyres round at Wakefield..
Old 2 Mar 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2839327)   #18
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Matt Hansen's VY is HRT054 the last TWR built VZ, raced for the past couple of years by Geoff Emery. Hansen's AU was PHR014, the Prancing Horse Racing built car latterly raced in WA by Nathan Vince.

Jim Pollicina's VY is TM03, the last Tasman built VZ raced by Sam Walter for a few seasons in the dev series and last year in the V8TC.

With a number of cars built as VZs being entered as VYs I presume the changes largely consist of a reskin but not too many mechanical changes.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2839340)   #19
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Thanks Anthony, I was right to guess going from memory was fraught with danger, but I was close.. As for mechanical spec - no sequentials (mostly they were fitted to the BFs like Smerdons car anyway), and the ECU Iis based on the MoTeC M48 limiting the engine to 7000rpm - outside of that they're essentially standard spec V8SC. And of course, Kumho slicks which Terry Wyhoon is very positive about pointing out that last year at Sandown, they were just over a second off the top guys in the Development Series at the same venue a couple of weeks later..

It's a great series and I for one can't wait to see fields of 18-20 cars!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2839580)   #20
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Matt Hansen's VY is HRT054 the last TWR built VZ, raced for the past couple of years by Geoff Emery. Hansen's AU was PHR014, the Prancing Horse Racing built car latterly raced in WA by Nathan Vince.

Jim Pollicina's VY is TM03, the last Tasman built VZ raced by Sam Walter for a few seasons in the dev series and last year in the V8TC.

With a number of cars built as VZs being entered as VYs I presume the changes largely consist of a reskin but not too many mechanical changes.
Thanks Anthony.

I think the ex Walter car would have an ARC (Acott) chassis number, as the TMS numbers started with the last 2 VE chassis the team built.

The Hansen AU has a red cage. I'm sure the PHR car had a silver/grey cage. When did it get a re-paint?
Old 4 Mar 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2840335)   #21
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
For anyone that's close by to Winton next Friday (llth March), Terry Wyhoon and the Image Racing team will be shaking down their 2011 mounts, will provide details from there. There's still plenty happening with the Kumho Tyres V8TC for this year, with 20 teams expected to the opening round at Wakefield on April 2-3.. can't wait!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2855749)   #22
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Well we're finally here, the opening round of the 2011 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series hits Wakefield Park for opening practice on Friday morning (April 1). At this stage there are 20 cars entered, which could make the V8 Touring Cars the biggest field of the Nationals with the recent announcement of the withdrawal of a couple of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge regulars.

Having only just spoken with Wakefield Park themselves, it also seems likely there may be one of two others use the practice day as a gauge for future involvement in the series, which makes perfect sense. Why run around at the rear of the Fujitsu Series field when you could be running around in the same equipment towards the front of the field in the Kumho Tyres Series.

We'll regularly update the Nationals website over the course of the weekend, along with the series Facebook and Twitter sites to keep everyone posted.

Currently the field consists of;

1. Tony EVANGELOU (BA Falcon)
5. Matthew HANSEN (VY Commodore)
6. Nathan GARIOCH (BA Falcon)
7. Jim POLLICINA (VY Commodore)
8. Steve INGWERSEN (VT Commodore)
11. Sean FARDELL (VX Commodore)
12. Stuart INWOOD (AU Falcon)
21. Chris DELFSMA (AU Falcon)
23. Justin GARIOCH (BA Falcon)
25. Michael HECTOR (BA Falcon)
26. John VERGOTIS (AU Falcon)
27. Shaun FENNELL (VX Commodore)
31. Derrick HOCKING (VY Commodore)
33. Steven VOIGHT (VY Commodore)
39. Chris SMERDON (BA Falcon)
49. Terry WYHOON (BA Falcon)
50. Mark SHEPPARD (BA Falcon)
62. Scott LOADSMAN (VY Commodore)
81. Michael BARTSCH (AU Falcon)
98. Aaron TEBB (VY Commodore)

The full event program is downloadable off the Nationals website, follow the link; http://www.thenationals.com.au/shann...11-round-1.php

The new Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car website is operational, but sadly not updateable until next week so updates will appear on the Nationals website.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2855758)   #23
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi There 321;

What happened to:

14 Jason George
18 Leigh Moran
22 Dean Kovacevic
32 Graham Stewart
48 Andrew Manson &
68 Shane Beikoff

Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2855825)   #24
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
Hi There 321;

What happened to:

14 Jason George
18 Leigh Moran
22 Dean Kovacevic
32 Graham Stewart
48 Andrew Manson &
68 Shane Beikoff

Honestly Nick I can't answer all those, but in short;

• Jason George I believe will be at Mallala
• Leigh Moran's car is still being put together after last year's accident at Winton and he will be back later in the season
• Kovacevic and Ambrosio will be back for Mallala - business I think is keeping them away
• Graham Stewart is another 'm not 100% sure of
• Andrew Manson is still putting the FPR powerplant in the car and wouldn't have made Wakefield
• the Beikoff's are apparently busy with work and may not even contest a round

Series Director Rob Curkpatrick was telling me today he's still fielding calls and there's even some Development Series guys looking to test at Wakefield to get miles, and if they find themselves competitive, who knows..

It's going to be a very exciting weekend.

Apologies no more detail on George and Stewart have been finalising the latest issue of 321Ignition (out at Wakefield this weekend) which includes a piece on the V8 Touring Cars and some of the history of the cars, something which will be an ongoing process over the course of the season, with some able assistance from young Mr Noonan..
Old 30 Mar 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2856134)   #25
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will make the trip on Saturday. Forecast is good.