Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 25 Feb 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3959799)   #4776
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
I think 2020 is the last year of the existing contract for the race? If the promoters have to pay for road work to move utilities for an extended pit lane, I assume they would also want it to be accompanied by another 3 year contract, but then that may depend on a possible new grand scheme from the city and province for the site to have more permanent year-round attractions and a subway station.

So I took a look at the aerial photos from 2018 (the team didn't do any in 2019, long story). 23 entries that year and there is definitely no room at either the pit in or pit out end for more boxes. In 2019 there were 22 entries but there was another pit box under the bridge - so I assume that means they moved one or two away from one or both ends. Sure seems like that article mentioned earlier (Jay Frye saying 23 max) would be right.

By my count we're at 24 entries in Toronto this year... um.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3959813)   #4777
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
And if it is not renewed and they don't return? What next....Montreal, Mont Tremblant, Mosport?
Well, I don't think it's the present existence of the race in Toronto that's stopping there from being an IndyCar race anywhere else in Canada if it could otherwise be arranged.
If for some reason the Toronto promoter (Green Savoree, who also own Mid-Ohio and promote the St. Pete and Portland events) decided not to continue in Toronto, and IndyCar and presumably Honda still wanted there to be at least one IndyCar race in Canada, I assume it would have to involve them being able work out a completely new deal with someone else at some other venue, and there's no guarantee that would happen.

As far as I know, it's still been nothing but talk and vague general proposals about an "Ontario Place/Exhibition" subway station and a lot of potential new construction projects for the site, with no definite plans announced yet, and it could still be years away from happening.

Regarding the 23 pit boxes, the thought also occurs to me that by that point in the season there could some team that's having a disappointing year and whose sponsors have no particular connection to Toronto who may be willing to voluntarily skip the event to "regroup" or whatever phony excuse they can come up with, conveniently solving the problem.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3959852)   #4778
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso confirmed at spam for the 500
Old 25 Feb 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3959853)   #4779
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso back at Indy with SPAM, does that make them cheap american "Jamon Iberico" for the race?

https://racer.com/2020/02/25/alonso-...ow-mclaren-sp/
Old 25 Feb 2020, 19:52 (Ref:3959859)   #4780
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso confirms he will compete in this year's Indy 500 with SPAM.

Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3959865)   #4781
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Alonso back at Indy with SPAM, does that make them cheap american "Jamon Iberico" for the race?

I hope not. I hope the engine is wonderful enough to give him a chance of getting that win he deserves
Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3959868)   #4782
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM.

https://youtu.be/mBcY3W5WgNU
Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3959881)   #4783
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is also cool - public drivers' meetings this year(!).

https://racer.com/2020/02/24/penske-...vers-meetings/
Old 26 Feb 2020, 14:22 (Ref:3960010)   #4784
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
As far as I know, it's still been nothing but talk and vague general proposals about an "Ontario Place/Exhibition" subway station and a lot of potential new construction projects for the site, with no definite plans announced yet, and it could still be years away from happening.

Regarding the 23 pit boxes, the thought also occurs to me that by that point in the season there could some team that's having a disappointing year and whose sponsors have no particular connection to Toronto who may be willing to voluntarily skip the event to "regroup" or whatever phony excuse they can come up with, conveniently solving the problem.

Given that Union Station renovations have taken roughly 5 years longer than planned (and aren't done yet!), I'm not holding my breath for Ontario Place/Ex Place.

Good point re: team(s) electing to skip. Of course Hinchcliffe might secure a one-off for Toronto (to go with his announced three races elsewhere), but again I suppose he could take over someone else's seat rather than need an additional entry.

It's been a loooooooong off-season...
Old 26 Feb 2020, 21:03 (Ref:3960074)   #4785
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM.
I like Marshall Pruett's juvenile suggestion for their 3rd car at the Indy 500 -- (4:38 into this) -- Schmidt Peterson Arrow McLaren Fernando Alonso Racing Team -- SPAMFART.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 21:36 (Ref:3960079)   #4786
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I like Marshall Pruett's juvenile suggestion for their 3rd car at the Indy 500 -- (4:38 into this) -- Schmidt Peterson Arrow McLaren Fernando Alonso Racing Team -- SPAMFART.
. Unfortunately, I can't get the podcast to work.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3960080)   #4787
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Grid penalties are to return for unapproved engine changes.

https://racer.com/2020/02/26/indycar...set-to-return/
Old 27 Feb 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3960233)   #4788
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Citrone/Buhl will partner with RLL to run Pigot at Indy for May, GP and 500.

https://racer.com/2020/02/27/pigot-r...dy-gp-and-500/
Old 28 Feb 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3960380)   #4789
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Citrone/Buhl will partner with RLL to run Pigot at Indy for May, GP and 500.

https://racer.com/2020/02/27/pigot-r...dy-gp-and-500/

That was quick - I was expecting the Citrone Buhl thing to live in the land of rumours for a while.

Good to see Pigot in a seat, even if just for the two races.
Old 28 Feb 2020, 18:36 (Ref:3960424)   #4790
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well Canada finally gets something resembling coverage for 2020. The new SportsNet 360 IndyCar broadcast plan includes St. Petersburg, the Indy 500, Texas, Road America*(pictured), Richmond, Toronto, Iowa, Gateway, Portland, and Monterey.

https://racer.com/2020/02/28/more-in...ble-in-canada/
Old 1 Mar 2020, 23:43 (Ref:3960885)   #4791
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hinchcliffe to work as NBC pit reporter this year. Should be fun.

Link

Ted
Old 2 Mar 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3960977)   #4792
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am sure he will do a great job. He will add a lot with his insight.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3961007)   #4793
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
... Mosport ... safety upgrades needed, but probably the most likely option ... many great spectator areas.
I don't know if all of the current sponsors who fill the trackside suites at the Toronto IndyCar event would necessarily follow if the race left the city for a place in the middle of nowhere. And would Mosport be willing and able to do anything to attract urban/suburban spectators who I think must comprise some reasonably large part of the present crowd in Toronto, where "Anyone attending the event is advised to take public transit"?

Mosport wants people in RVs paying to camp there for the weekend. Anything that would facilitate spectators more easily arriving and leaving on the same day is probably seen by them as being counterproductive and something to be discouraged (or least not encouraged, whether they would publicly acknowledge it or not). I certainly don't ever recall them doing anything like this, and I think they might recoil in horror at the suggestion.
Rally named official bus rideshare partner of seven Speedway Motorsports, Inc. tracks

Last edited by HighParker; 2 Mar 2020 at 13:56.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3961382)   #4794
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
I don't know if all of the current sponsors who fill the trackside suites at the Toronto IndyCar event would necessarily follow if the race left the city for a place in the middle of nowhere. And would Mosport be willing and able to do anything to attract urban/suburban spectators who I think must comprise some reasonably large part of the present crowd in Toronto, where "Anyone attending the event is advised to take public transit"?

Mosport wants people in RVs paying to camp there for the weekend. Anything that would facilitate spectators more easily arriving and leaving on the same day is probably seen by them as being counterproductive and something to be discouraged (or least not encouraged, whether they would publicly acknowledge it or not). I certainly don't ever recall them doing anything like this, and I think they might recoil in horror at the suggestion.
Rally named official bus rideshare partner of seven Speedway Motorsports, Inc. tracks
Completely agree with all of this. The key to the Toronto Indy is that it's in an area well served by public transit.

(Now everybody can leap in and complain about diminishing attendance, etc. etc. etc.).

I really can't see the race ever moving. If the city chooses not to renew the contract one day, my guess is it will just die rather than move. Green Savoree already has three other events, after all. I would be very sad, though.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3961468)   #4795
S griffin
Veteran

It's supposed to be an enjoyable experience for the fans. That's why Toronto has been so successful. It can still be a great event whatever happens.

I can see the race staying for a while. I have a lot of faith in it. And there are plenty of other good ones on the calendar. So unless I have missed something, I have a feeling it will be here for a long long time
Old 4 Mar 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3961603)   #4796
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Jimmie Johnson is set to test with SPAM at Barber next month.

https://racer.com/2020/03/04/johnson...en-sp-indycar/
Old 4 Mar 2020, 21:58 (Ref:3961631)   #4797
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Jimmie Johnson is set to test with SPAM at Barber next month.

https://racer.com/2020/03/04/johnson...en-sp-indycar/
Crikey, Jimmie and Ferdy really are good mates!!
Old 5 Mar 2020, 00:27 (Ref:3961652)   #4798
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Nice, now the Aussies will be able to enjoy a a consistent level of coverage for this season through FOX Sports AUS! Thanks Scotty M.

I wonder though, does the coverage in this contract include New Zealand? Considering McLaughlin and Dixon are both from NZ, I figure it would be a no-brainer.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/03/05...uoulqvBpNTMJ_k
Old 6 Mar 2020, 02:13 (Ref:3961843)   #4799
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great if the race can continue in Toronto, but if it doesn't what problems are associated with Mosport? I know track safety was a concern, have run-off areas been extended and guardrails removed? As a competitor in the CanAm series it was one of the nicer places we raced - the only place I recall where we had a roof to work under. Hard for me to believe that Indycar at Mosport couldn't attract a decent crowd. It's closer to Toronto than Road America is to Milwaukee, and much of the crowd at RA travels from much farther away than Milwaukee.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3961922)   #4800
S griffin
Veteran

Mosport’s run off is a lot bigger than it used to be, but I don’t think it’s had any major motorsport meeting in recent times, so not sure how it would do now