Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:13 (Ref:3856039)   #1
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2019 Calendar - big news

Quote:
Supercars has revealed a major shake up for its 2019 calendar which has seen Sydney Motorsport Park dropped and Perth’s Barbagallo Raceway awarded a night race.

The championship has taken the wraps off its new 15 round schedule that features several changes and movements and one less round compared to this season.

Supercars teams have been pushing to reduce the calendar and ease the operational flow for next year while the series has actively attempted to find better weather windows for certain events.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/10/11...2019-shake-up/

Some pretty interesting changes there.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3856040)   #2
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! That's odd.

A Sandown curtain-raiser to Bathurst after Bathurst...

Tailem Bend 500 anyone?

And they must really hate Eastern Creek after baying about how successful it was.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:22 (Ref:3856041)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone trying to book flights and accommodation around this calendar (like me...) is a looney.

It will change 100 times before it's finalised.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:37 (Ref:3856043)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Sad to see the loss of Sandown 500 as curtain raiser to bathurst after so long (Over 40 years). I think it will take the tarnish off Sandown.

It used to be where the teams unveiled and tested their co drivers and new cars and tricks before the big one. Now its just another race.

How have the crowd and TV numbers held up over the last few years? IF they have been falling markedly I can understand the want to move the event well away from the Footy finals in Footy mad Victoria.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:39 (Ref:3856044)   #5
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like seeing the GC600 become a single 500km race.

Will feel strange not having a 'curtain raiser' for Bathurst.

Don't like the loss of the Sydney 300 - that was a good race - and really hope they don't replace it with a bunch of short sprints.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3856046)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bring back Homebush!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Oct 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3856058)   #7
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bizarre having Bathurst as the first 2 driver race.Either The Bend should be an enduro or it should swap dates with Sandown.
Very little chance of getting the NSW government to pay for any sports facilities with the stadium fiasco a fair chance of costing them government and the horse racing promotion deservedly blowing up in their faces.There is not the unmet demand at the facility to make it viable for the ARDC to pay for it.
With regards to the Moto GP clash there is a move from the riders to demand an earlier start time because the colder track temperatures increase danger.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3856066)   #8
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the reasons they said they moved Sundown from September to November was to have a better chance of decent weather. So they've made NZ the September event, where the weather will be almost guaranteed to be cold and wet. Masterstroke right there @SupercarsshouldchecktheweatherinNZinwinter

Maybe they are thinking they can save shipping costs because they'll only need to bring wet tyres and can leave the slicks in Oz?
Old 11 Oct 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3856093)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perth night race seems weird given the time differences on the east coast.

Sandown after Bathurst is another one I'm struggling to get my head around. Why?

But dumping Eastern Creek after it gained some traction with it's two day meeting with a night race seems stupid and incomprehensible. For the nations third largest sporting code to not hold a round in the country's largest city is peculiar. Backlash on social media is pretty resounding.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3856096)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, that's the stupidest thing I've read all day.

*Sydney Motorsport Park was a huge success, why drop it? Feels like Supercars just don't like SMP/Eastern Creek.
*Barbagello for a night race!? If they race at night time (say 7pm local time) that's about 10pm on the east coast where the majority of the audience is. Most of said audience would either be in bed or out partying. Seems ridiculous. Either Darwin or Queensland Raceway would be much better.
*Sandown 500 for the penultimate round/event!? With the Championship pushing a retro themed event to honour the traditions of Australian motorsport, seems crazy to move it from it's usual date and lead up to Bathurst feel. Plus teams use this not only as it's own event but as a dry run for Bathurst.

That being said, even though I never liked the fact that the Gold Coast race became a two-driver per car event, interesting to see that they've changed it into a 500km single race. (Although I think it would be cool to see it revert back to a SuperStreet style event and sharing it this time with Formula E with one race during the day and the other race during the night. The track looks nice under lights.

Kinda don't want to say this but Supercars has finally lost it's plot.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3856159)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Perth night race seems weird given the time differences on the east coast.

Sandown after Bathurst is another one I'm struggling to get my head around. Why?

But dumping Eastern Creek after it gained some traction with it's two day meeting with a night race seems stupid and incomprehensible. For the nations third largest sporting code to not hold a round in the country's largest city is peculiar. Backlash on social media is pretty resounding.
Supercars management has had issues with EC management for years, same as they have had issues with Qld raceway management
Old 11 Oct 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3856162)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Supercars management has had issues with EC management for years, same as they have had issues with Qld raceway management
Their battles with the ARDC dated back to Super Touring days.Since 2014 the round has nothing to do with the ARDC except they supply officials.The track is given to them gratis by the state government.Supercars run the meeting themselves.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3856174)   #13
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandown was substituted out with an enduro race at QR in the early 2000's; so a precident has already been set with that.

Is the 2020 summer series still set to go?
That'll be an even bigger shake-up to the calendar.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3856175)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Sandown was substituted out with an enduro race at QR in the early 2000's; so a precident has already been set with that.
And Phillip Island for a couple of years too.

Last edited by chavez; 11 Oct 2018 at 21:48. Reason: Sppelling
Old 11 Oct 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3856177)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post

Is the 2020 summer series still set to go?
That'll be an even bigger shake-up to the calendar.

My feeling is that this calendar is a half way house heading towards the summer series.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 01:25 (Ref:3856181)   #16
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
That being said, even though I never liked the fact that the Gold Coast race became a two-driver per car event, interesting to see that they've changed it into a 500km single race. (Although I think it would be cool to see it revert back to a SuperStreet style event and sharing it this time with Formula E with one race during the day and the other race during the night. The track looks nice under lights.
Formula E won't share the billing with any petrol/gas/fuel based category. They are there to promote themselves, not anyone else, so that idea is out the window.

However, i'm up for the GC to become a night. Having been there a couple of times when they ran the utes and Carrera Cup late, that makes the most sense to me. Upgrade the road lighting, add in some extra and you've got the best damn rock and race set up any promoter could want. I'd run the race on the Saturday night, but that would mean having practice on Thursday.

This is start of summer serious transition i hate to say it....
Old 12 Oct 2018, 01:37 (Ref:3856184)   #17
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always felt a bit cold towards Eastern Creek / SMP and have never been able to work it out.

Was far happier travelling to Oran Park or Amaroo; Bathurst it is in 2019
Old 16 Oct 2018, 04:45 (Ref:3857074)   #18
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Sydney, the old Homebush circuit was king for me. Had public transport links, even to the Northern Beaches. Just a shame the event didn't work out (no idea why, the infrastructure was brilliant). Oran Park and Amaroo both difficult to get to by public transport back in the day, as is SMP now.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3857085)   #19
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
For Sydney, the old Homebush circuit was king for me. Had public transport links, even to the Northern Beaches. Just a shame the event didn't work out (no idea why, the infrastructure was brilliant). Oran Park and Amaroo both difficult to get to by public transport back in the day, as is SMP now.
Who has caught public transport to Sandown?

I did it once in the eighties when I was in high school, but wondering if anyone does so now.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3857087)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Who has caught public transport to Sandown?

I did it once in the eighties when I was in high school, but wondering if anyone does so now.
It depends on where you are coming from I guess.
However I know there is a regular direct train service from the city or Richmond to Sandown Park Station, which takes half an hour. (Sandown is on the Cranbourne / Pakenham line.)

However I have never gone to Sandown other than by car.

Edit: You can enter where you want to travel from to Sandown or wherever into www.rome2rio.com and it will give you the best method, be it train or bus, along with cost , duration and route.

Last edited by E.B; 16 Oct 2018 at 08:17. Reason: Added rome2rio.com link and info.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3857694)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have two friends who attended Sandown this year. Their entire public transport costs from Tullamarine to their accommodation and accommodation to the track return for the three days was about AUS$80 for the pair of them
Old 23 Oct 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3858572)   #22
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So in the time between the B12 hour and the B1000 in 2019 there's no real motorsport of note in NSW, and no round of either Supercars or GT3s in Australia's largest city whatsoever.

Interesting times.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3858575)   #23
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So in the time between the B12 hour and the B1000 in 2019 there's no real motorsport of note in NSW, and no round of either Supercars or GT3s in Australia's largest city whatsoever.

Interesting times.

Bathurst 6 hour 21 April
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/

Muscle car masters Sept 1

But i see your point
Old 23 Oct 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3858582)   #24
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
MCM has been a shadow of where it has been in the past, unfortunately.

I forgot about the 6 hour, a meeting I've enjoyed in the past.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3858594)   #25
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Interesting times.
Yes there is -the state Motor Race Championships with a number of rounds at both WP and SMSP.
Too many people forget that the biggest fields and closest racing is generally at these type of meetings and the same applies all around the nation.

Supercars will be back in 2020 with night racing again as has been widely publicised. The alternative GT comp appears to be building numbers and should provide good entertainment.
The Easter meeting(including the Prod Touring 6hour) @ Bathurst will provide great support category acing with huge fields and that good old motor sport feel.

Have you made the trip to the Bathurst Challenge,another entertaining and fun event with the first couple of days allocated to the quick cars with a heavy representation of 12 hour and super quick front runners from most categories ?.