Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Feb 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1839398)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allen, definitely a 'no, no' but for VBH, I'd probably switch on. Actually met her once; a real sweetheart, and definitely a petrolhead!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 03:44 (Ref:1840902)   #52
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
I don't see VBH in Top Gear's current format
I know what I'd like to see her in....
Old 28 Feb 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1853383)   #53
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fifth Gear/Top Gear etc

howdy all,

Haven't seen Fifth Gear since before Xmas, has it gone under or is there a delay of production that will start up again later. Up until recently I have enjoyed the more serious look at how a car handles (meaning on track and with less of the hooliganism of Top Gear,not that I don't get entertained by the over-the-top aspects of Top Gear, but you know what I mean).

It is interesting however to note how in the visual dept, mucho mucho more money is spent on Top Gear, with very up to date little visual playing around, that does make FG look dated. Now, I'm willing to look past the fancy stuff and appreciate the more down to earth aspect of the show compared to Meester Clarkson et al (although I do get a kick from the outlandish things TG pulls, usually anyway) but lately, the chemistry (or lack thereof) between the geeky non-car guy and dear VBH just doesn't cut it for me, and while they think they are being funny in the cafe, it unfortunately works against the show for me.

I don't mind Plato, along with Needel, I appreciate their real racer point of view of things (although Clarkson generally is self depreciating in that regard) but it does really seem that they either don't have the budgets to snag the cameramen/directors to stand up to TG, and the stuff like the two older geezers wearing Tiff shirts has worn thin for me.

thoughts?
Old 28 Feb 2007, 05:55 (Ref:1853482)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll move this to Armchair before Craig throws a hissy fit.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1853599)   #55
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
djb, you might be interested in this thread about Top Gear / Fifth Gear
Old 28 Feb 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1853833)   #56
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well, we wouldn't want any tantrums going on would we ;-)

thanks Suze for the referral, will look more when I have time this evening, took a quick peek just now and it seems others have the same pt of view as myself.

until next time
Old 5 Mar 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1859151)   #57
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like fifth Gear but Top Gear is 100 times better
Old 7 Mar 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1860482)   #58
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like 5th gear better I think is more a racers show than the punter style Top Gear and Clarkson comes across like a mmmmm child sometimes
Old 7 Mar 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1860629)   #59
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't used to mind 5th gear, but last series was poor. I think they felt they had to try and fit in wacky stunts to compete with Top Gear (like when VBH attempted to water ski being pulled by a bike - eh?). I didn't get on with that new Lovejoy bloke either. I never had a problem with Plato actually, but he was on much less this series. The only bits this series I liked were Toadfish, sorry, Tom Ford's reports. He reviews new cars properly, like they used to on the 'old style' Top Gear.

Actually who remembers 'Driven' with Jason Barlow, Mike Brewer, and Penny Mallory? That was quite good, better than 5th gear is now anyway.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1860787)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ugh....Jason Barlow. All I remember is his nonsensical trendy T-shirts. A different number and colour combination every episode. And those trendy glasses.

Trendies are hateful.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1860865)   #61
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And what Barlow has done to CAR magazine doesn't bear repeating. of the highest order.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1865136)   #62
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
Actually who remembers 'Driven' with Jason Barlow, Mike Brewer, and Penny Mallory? That was quite good, better than 5th gear is now anyway.
Yeah that wasn't bad actually, it got better when Plato took over from Barlow though IMO.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1870009)   #63
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another fan of Top Gear here, much more entertaining, I just don't think the more in depth with the technical stuff can be made to be good to watch on tv, more suited to a magazine IMO. I'm a mechanic and right into reading about tech stuff....but on TV, nope. Also not a fan of VBH, overrated IMO.

Top Gear is perfect, that is all

I did hear something about Clarkson leaving though?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:20 (Ref:1870015)   #64
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You might want to try this thread as the show being axed / Clarkson's comments have been discussed there.