Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 14 Mar 2002, 07:27 (Ref:234821)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hypothetical situation, you are now President of NASCAR. What would you do?

At the Cup level:
1) I would get rid of one of the Pocono, Loudon and Martinsville races.
2) I would add at least one or two more road course races at Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, or Road America.
3) I would add one dirt track race.
4) I would make it a requirement that a driver has to run in at least 32 races in Busch Grand National or the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, and finish in the top 20 in points in order in either of those series to be eligible to compete in a Winston Cup oval race. Eligibility for Winston Cup road course events would be based on road course racing experience and subject to review. However, ALMS, Trans-Am and Grand Am drivers would eligible after one season of racing in their respective series.
5) I would eliminate the mandatory helmet rule for pitcrew members except the gasman. I would give the teams the right to require their crews to wear them however. Incidents like what happened on Rudd's team aren't commonplace and I feel that I would want the option to go helmetless. Helmets on motorcyles aren't required in every state and I feel that you are more likely of getting head injuries riding a bike than working on a pitcrew.

At the BGN level:

1) I would bring back the Watkins Glen road race.
2) I would add another road race to the schedule.
3) I would add dirt track race.
4) I would eliminate one of races on the schedule. I figure this out later.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 14 Mar 2002 at 15:27.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 09:31 (Ref:234857)   #2
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first thing I would do is add some of the rules you just mentioned, and make it a rule that once you go to Winston Cup, you can't race in Busch anymore. I look at this like High School and College. While you're in High School you can take some College courses, but once you graduate High School, you go on to College. Once you're there, you do not take High School classes in College.

While a driver is in the Busch Series, let them drive a few Winston Cup races to see if they have the stuff. But once they move up to the Winston Cup Series, they ought to leave Busch behind. They have no business there once they have proven they have what it takes for Winston Cup.

But by the same token, I wouldn't force anyone to move to Winston Cup. If they like racing in Busch, let them stay there. But once they went to Winston Cup, I wouldn't let them race in the Busch Series unless they dropped out of Winston Cup. In other words, I would make them make a choice of which series they are going to stay in.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 10:24 (Ref:234880)   #3
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would make at least 2 races in Australia at the Thunderdome in Melbourne (oval)
and Wanneroo raceway, Perth (road)
that would be nice

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 16 Mar 2002, 04:18 (Ref:236171)   #4
Flintstone Flyer
Rookie

Flintstone Flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my world

1. Raise the front spoilers 2 inches
2. Cut 3 inches off of the rear spoilers.
3. Get rid of the carbs and run fuel injection, there hasn't been a car built in 10 years with a carb.
4. Put a limit on tires just like BGN
5. Pay points for a pole, give it some meaning
6. F1 rule if a car isn't within 20% of the pole speed send them home.
7. Do away with provisionals

Last edited by Flintstone Flyer; 16 Mar 2002 at 04:21.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 08:44 (Ref:236234)   #5
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Big C, I agree with everything except the fuel injection, it would be too easy for the big bucks teams to cheat, Nascar doesn't have the technology to police it. JMO.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 13:29 (Ref:236441)   #6
Flintstone Flyer
Rookie

Flintstone Flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stan,
I don't think "the tech police" would worry too much about the cars being injected. With the changes in the aero package above they could produce 900+ HP but still it would come down to handling.

In reality that is the direction in the aero packages they need to go in stead of giving each make more and more front spoiler and bit by bit less rear spoiler they need to take away. Put the cars back in the drivers hands, not the wind tunnel.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 15:26 (Ref:236495)   #7
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Big C,
I couldn't agree with you more about the aero package.
I'm sure the racing would be much better.
As they say, "The cream will rise to the top".
Then we would see who the real talented drivers are.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 00:16 (Ref:237952)   #8
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with a number of the above. Something different I'll add is a teams championship like the WCC in Formula One. I would let owners count two cars per race towards this. It would be neat to see how Hendrick vs. Gibbs vs Yates etc stacked up, and with titles being decided early in these long seasons could add some extra interest to late races.

I would also start looking at the high bank/restrictor situation. Exciting and traditional races (not always in the positive sense), but too high a cost in damaged cars alone since 1988.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 01:35 (Ref:237990)   #9
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would stop changing the rules every few races to make the cars equal. If a manufacturer has done their homework and gained an advantage, the sanctioning body should not step in and change things to negate that advantage. The hard work should be rewarded.

If NASCAR wants all of the cars equal, then they should have a common body style and become a spec-series.

I would also make badly damaged cars retire; there is nothing more dangerous than a bent up, cut up, and taped up car running around at a slow speed trying to collect points. I would only pay points to the top fifteen finishers.