Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 13 Jan 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1814270)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andrew Kitson drafted this piece in connection with the Memorial meeting at Snetterton last year, and featured above. I think that it is entirely appropriate that it should be reproduced here:-

William Archibald Scott Brown (Archie) was born in Paisley Scotland on 13th May 1927, to parents Bill and Jay. Jay had a severe bout of German measles which resulted in massive damage to the unborn child. When Archie was born, he had three undeveloped limbs. Only his left arm was normal. His legs were radically twisted and his club feet were tiny and not pointing where they should.

Despite his difficulties he managed to get through childhood quite well and had endless charm and determination, which he had inherited from his father. Bill had a nice stable of cars and built a 'special' for Archie, which he learned to drive in and developed his four wheel drift and other racing skills on the lanes around Paisley. He passed his exams and went to Cambridge University. However he did not last long there since, rather than reading his chosen economics or accounting, he spent more time reading motoring magazines!

Eventually he got a job as a travelling salesman, his patch being East Anglia. By now his parents had separated and Archie with his mother Jay set up home in Colchester before moving to Cambridge. He bought an MG TD and joined the Eastern Counties Car Club, having his first circuit race in 1951 at Fersfield near to the soon to be opened Snetterton. As a Cambridge resident he joined the Cambridge University Auto Club and started to do sprints at nearby Bottisham. It was here that Archie first met Cambridge engineer, Brian Lister, and engine tuning wizard, Don Moore, who both competed themselves with the University Auto Club. The seeds were sown for the special relationship that the three men were to share.

Archie had his first win at Snetterton on 26th April 1952, driving his MG TD. By now he had a reputation as a fast driver with incredible car control. In 1953 Brian Lister had the idea of building a sports racing car that would carry the family name. George Lister & Sons in Abbey Road Cambridge would build the car to Brian's design, Don Moore would prepare the MG engines and Archie would drive it. After many successes with the MG TD, Tojeiro-Jap and a Bugatti Type 35, Archie's first win with the Lister-MG was at Lister's adopted home circuit of Snetterton on 3rd April 1954.

In the following months the Lister-Bristol appeared, Archie again scoring many wins. The Lister-Maserati followed and in 1957, the famous Lister-Jaguar. Archie was to Lister as Jim Clark would later be to Lotus, it is difficult to think of one without the other. 1957 was Archie's year. He was at the top of his game and the Lister-Jaguar the car to beat. Numerous wins were recorded at Snetterton along with the other circuits around the country. He drove other cars too, among them a Grand Prix Connaught scoring
wins and outright lap records at both Snetterton and Brands Hatch in 1956. He also competed in his one and only F1 Grand Prix in 1956 with the Connaught at Silverstone. Sadly he had axle failure, but it is his sports car success he is remembered for.

In early 1958 the Lister team went 'on tour' to New Zealand to compete at three race meetings. Two victories and a second place were the reward before starting another busy season in the UK. Archie had his last victories at Snetterton on 30th March 1958 when he won two events, the unlimited sports car race and the Formula Libre event in the Lister-Jaguar.

A great battle between Archie and American Masten Gregory, both Lister-Jaguar mounted, enthralled the crowds in the Belgian Sports Car Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps on May 18th 1958. Archie whilst leading, lost control on a wet road on lap 6 and crashed, the car erupting in a fireball and Archie succumbed to massive burns in hospital. Tragically, he was only 31 years old.

In 1969 the Snetterton Motor Circuit Club erected a plaque to the memory of the circuit's favourite son, mounted on the wall of the scrutineering building.
The plaque reads;
'

W.A Scott Brown 1927-1958
He represented everything that was best in the sport:
71 firsts
34 seconds
12 thirds'

Andrew Kitson
Old 19 Jan 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1819511)   #27
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A typo in the above - the plaque was first erected in 1959, not 1969.
Rumours of a feature film being made (based on Archie) gather strength...here's hoping.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1831781)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the Cambridge paper yesterday:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...5851a54ae7.lpf
Old 19 Sep 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2543995)   #29
ianric
Rookie

ianric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again I saw Archie at Snetterton and at some hill climbs and sprints for the WECC when I was a small child. My Dad and Uncle were members, my Dad drove with his Jowett Javelin. He also rallied his Austin Somerset and was co-driver with his friend Ron who owned the ex-Peter Harper Sunbeam Alpine. My Dad was quite proud because Pat Moss had sat on his hat, pervy:]
Old 21 Nov 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4084730)   #30
Salsin
Rookie

Salsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of us of a certain age, ie. 70 plus, I think it is important to keep alive the memories of our boyhood heroes.
I was probably about 12 years old, with my father at a Snetterton meeting, when Archie signed my little autograph book.
I still have that signature and it is now incorporated into the mount of two framed pictures I have, one by Nicholas Watts and the other by Andrew Kitson.
Mike Dodman
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2592.JPG   IMG_2593.JPG  
Old 21 Nov 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4084822)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No doubt he showed that disabilities and deformities weren’t necessarily a handicap. And indeed the likes of Zanardi and Monger have further proven that