Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Jan 2022, 05:49 (Ref:4092037)   #2596
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Yes and all the best for a Safe Healthy Happy and Successful 2022 to you Graeme, plus of course Mrs 911HC.
Look forward to your future posts on the rebuild (very impressed with progress and work to date) and the ongoing meeting updates.

With the wonders of modern live streaming I shall be at Loton Shelsley and Prescott watching from the other side of the globe!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 1 Jan 2022, 07:58 (Ref:4092045)   #2597
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy New Year to you, Graham, and to your little demon too! Cheers!
Old 1 Jan 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4092080)   #2598
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Happy new year Graham, look forward to hearing what you're gonna get up to this year
Old 2 Jan 2022, 16:55 (Ref:4092215)   #2599
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a pass-out for this afternoon, so decided to check the squish 'height', crown height, and the rest of the ring gaps.

To the first, mounted the piston to the rod with #1 barrel and an old copper base gasket, then added 3 pea sized pellets of BlueTac on the sides of the piston dome and the very top with a smnall piece of cling film over the top so when crushed the bluTac would not stick to the piston.
Advanced the crank well over TDC.
Added the #1 head and torqued the lot to final spec, 26 lbft.
Rotated the crank until you feel the blutac being squashed and then over tdc for about 30 degrees.

Remove the head and measure the crushed BluTac with verniers.
Repeat for the RH side.

Results were 1.72mm and 1.76mm (doubt you can call the last digit accurate) Squish. So, about 70 thou. and the top was about 3mm!
I'm happy with that.

Thirdly, placed the top ring in all the other barrels and all need opening up from a gap of 12 thou to 15 thou, none larger.
JE spec is 17 thou min, the second ring is 4 to 8 thou wider.

Awaiting Peter's gap grinder before I can get serious.

Next step is to build up both sides dry and set the cam timing. (what joy) and then advance the inlet 80 thou via the rocker screw and rotate so carefully the crank 720 degrees to feel for interference.

If clear, drop the inlet back and do the same with the exhausts but to 100 thou and keep my fingers crossed....

Old 3 Jan 2022, 17:34 (Ref:4092355)   #2600
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Managed some hours getting the engine to a dry build, ready for cam timing and valve interference test.
This too k ages, partly due to my stupidity.

I ordered the cams and forgot to tell them to delete the rear drive pots on the back of the cams as James had warned me. Forgot.

So, spent some time sawing the stubs off and levelling the back, bit nerve wracking on a pair of £1300 cam shafts, but all done. Cast iron is nice to cut!
Checked the fit of the woodruff key in the cams and found them too tight so out with the needle files and some carful thinning of the keys and all was well.

Built the cylinders up missing out #2 and #5 as not needed for this task.
Assembled each side with the engine on it's side so gravity was always keeping the chains in place and slowly got it all together, just the rockers in #1 and #4 heads to fit and I'm ready for endless fun with the DTI gauge.

However, for a bit of relaxation, helping a fellow DDK'r take his engine out of his 911 tomorrow.

Old 3 Jan 2022, 17:34 (Ref:4092356)   #2601
911thillclimber
Veteran

Managed some hours getting the engine to a dry build, ready for cam timing and valve interference test.
This too k ages, partly due to my stupidity.

I ordered the cams and forgot to tell them to delete the rear drive pots on the back of the cams as James had warned me. Forgot.

So, spent some time sawing the stubs off and levelling the back, bit nerve wracking on a pair of ?1300 cam shafts, but all done. Cast iron is nice to cut!
Checked the fit of the woodruff key in the cams and found them too tight so out with the needle files and some carful thinning of the keys and all was well.

Built the cylinders up missing out #2 and #5 as not needed for this task.
Assembled each side with the engine on it's side so gravity was always keeping the chains in place and slowly got it all together, just the rockers in #1 and #4 heads to fit and I'm ready for endless fun with the DTI gauge.

However, for a bit of relaxation, helping a fellow DDK'r take his engine out of his 911 tomorrow.

Old 5 Jan 2022, 17:53 (Ref:4092604)   #2602
911thillclimber
Veteran

Spent several hours on the dry assembly to conclude it.

Got the cam timing of the GE60 to 5mm (range is 4.8 to 5.2) on both sides.
The LHS came on 5mm first setting!
The RHS came on 4.7mm and took several iterations to get to 5mm.

So far, so good, then the evil bit, checking the valve to piston gaps...

Started with the LHS inlet and clearance is 2.5mm (min is 1.5mm allowed) and thus lots of room.
RHS inlet was 2.35mm
LHS Exhaust was 3.25mm (2mm minimum allowed)
RHS Exhaust was 3.25mm

Phew, all ok and room to spare.

Will check it all over gain tomorrow and then tear the lot down.

Have the loan of a DDK ring gap grinder, so gapping all 12 rings next which will be a joy.

Just one pic covers 3 hours.

Old 7 Jan 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4092754)   #2603
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After all this fantastic job and all the costy parts involved, will you dare to go flat out?
Old 7 Jan 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4092798)   #2604
911thillclimber
Veteran

Doubt it! Getting too old for this Young Man's Sport...

Spent hours this afternoon doing the rings which are going well with a few niggles but found a real problem (of course).

Positives of the Day:
Gapped the rings using Peter's grinder which works a treat. This grinder is a luxury compared to needle files. You made me smile Peter!
One piston at a time matched to the barrel. Done 4 , 2 to go. All gaps were too tight, so managed to tweak then bang on.
Top ring has to be 17 thou, second ring 6 though wider, so 23 thou.
Generally the top ring as supplied was 12 to 15 thou and the second 18 max.

The real sod is getting the oil control ring set in, what a game but my skill is getting better with practice and no swearing. Patience is not my middle name but you just have to take your time.

Negative of the Day:
The C clips to retain the wrist pins are HUGE compared to the Porsche items. So thick and REALLY difficult to get into the piston grove.
My home made (from soft duralumin) was ovalized by the resistance to fit the clip. I did get one in place but silly effort.

Asked the piston supplier if the clips were correct and they are. He wished me luck.

There is no way you an fit these clips when assembling the engine using fingers and a screwdriver. I know I can fit 6 beforehand but they are murder with the piston in a vice!

Going to remake my Stompski knock-off tool in steel and see if that works. I doubt the Stompski tool would grapple with these clips.

The bad weather continues here, so should get Saturday to finish the cylinders and a bit more. Doubt my steel will arrive.
Will also contact the rolling road man to see how he feels about th Clewett ignition system, the simple (cheap) one.
It should at least bolt on and work, right?

Old 11 Jan 2022, 16:50 (Ref:4093320)   #2605
911thillclimber
Veteran

A full 6 hours in the garage today, and much done.

The 6 piston clips were irritating me, so assembly of the pistons/barrels/clips etc weighed heavy on my mind through last night.

Still, all went well!!!

I tuned my Stomski knock off tool and all 6 nasty clips went click into place. Amazing to say the least.
The trick is to machine the outer sleeve to 5 thou smaller than the wrist pin, machine the inside dia as thin as you dare go and still have some wall thickness, I got down to 15 thou.
Press painfully these thick wire clips in, tilt at an angle and get the open ends into the piston groove, mostly done blind, adds so much to the fun.

All in and the cylinder down and clamped in place.

The ring compressor is unbelievably good, never will I use anything else.
Oil ring gaps at 12 noon, second ring gap at 9.00 and the top at 3 o'clock.

Buoyed by this lot, carried on.

Heads on after a final clean of the mating surfaces yet again, all loosed on, barrel nuts greased with assembly lube from ARP and loosed down. Cam carrier prepped, oil tubes in and torqued down a treat followed by the head torques.
Cams install ok and rotate a treat on both sides.

Slowly all the holes are filling up!

Out walking tomorrow for some Shropshire air and hope to shim the cams and even time them on Thursday.
Rocker shaft seals arrived today.
Ordering the Clewett ignition tomorrow.

Old 14 Jan 2022, 17:19 (Ref:4093759)   #2606
911thillclimber
Veteran

More hours poured into this engine, but good progress!

The chain sprockets needed aligning esp with new cams, and the alignment was miles out with shims where they were last time.
Frustratingly awkward to get all the dimensions accurately measured and sorted. Had to make a shim for the one side as I used all the others up. Having a lathe is a god send.

All done and with in the factory tolerance.

Then to the cam timing which again is a fiddle and lots of iterations to get to the 5mm timing dimension.
Then came doing the cam bolts to 84 lbft which is easier said than done
The cam restraining tool I made worked a dream and I just about had the pull to click on 84. Awkward with the engine balanced on the stand.

All done, so moved on to the chain tensioners and found the engine was missing some spacers to stop the idlers floating along their pivot shafts.
So, turned to the lathe and machined a pair and all is well, side play of 8 thou.

To feel better, added the cam covers!

So pleased to have all that behind me now, simple stuff next, but dreading all those RSR seals.