Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Jun 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3984299)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EV News, Developments and Releases

EVs - whether you love or loathe them, they're here and it only looks like their popularity will increase over the coming years.

This thread is intended to be a place where developments, news and releases in the world of EVs can be posted and discussed, in the context of them being a Road Car.

All of the surrounding matters such as climate change, hoaxes, agendas, propaganda, power grids, green credentials, emissions, government criticism etc..... have been (and probably will continue to be) debated and argued over in the Historic Racing & Motorsport History forum thread here.

I hope this thread can remain clear of that, and can stick to just EVs and their place alongside ICE vehicles. There is no agenda to promote EVs as being better than other cars, or that they solve a problem. Each type of car has its merits, and failings, but for now - they all have a place.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3984300)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tesla Cybertruck in Demand as Pre-Orders Top 650K

'"We estimate that pre-order levels are staggering coming out of the gates since announced last year and currently stand north of 650,000 based on our estimate with momentum," [Dan] Ives said. Ford Motor Company, the leader in the pick-up truck market, sells roughly 1 million F-150 pickups per year.'

With that level of orders (if the figure is reliable) then how common will the Cybertruck be on the roads. It's looks are definitely something that has drawn comment, but with them becoming more commonplace will the impact start to diminish?
Old 28 Jun 2020, 09:17 (Ref:3984301)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Kia expands e-Niro line-up with new sub-£30k variant

'Kia has expanded the UK line-up of the e-Niro electric SUV with two new models, including a sub-£30,000 entry-level variant with a smaller battery that offers a range of up to 180 miles and a sub-£30,000 price tag.'

It's described as an entry-level car, which looks like a good option for short commutes into town and the school run?
Old 28 Jun 2020, 09:20 (Ref:3984302)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
New electric BMW 3 Series spied testing

'BMW is understood to be developing an electric version of the 3 Series to sit alongside the 523bhp i4 EV by 2023 - and an early prototype has been spied testing.'

Old 29 Jun 2020, 08:13 (Ref:3984433)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Volkswagen ID 3 R: electric hot hatch tipped for 2024 launch

'The electric hot hatch is the brainchild of the German firm’s R performance division. It’s intended to reinforce the links between the successful ID R record-breaking prototype and Volkswagen’s crucial new ID road car range.

Volkswagen development chief Frank Welsch said the ID 3 R is “something we’re looking at”. He added: “I like the idea, but we have to decide if the market is ready to accept such a model.”'

Whilst this is just a potential model at the moment, maybe this highlights one of the trends that may appear soon with EVs.
Hot hatches are typically aimed at the younger driver, and the characteristics of an EV's performance might suit a typical driver looking for that type of car. Coupled with possible changes in ownership and usage models of cars in the future, and hot hatch EVs seem like a good fit?
Old 29 Jun 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3984436)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
New 2020 Vauxhall Mokka-e revealed

'Best not confused with its ancient predecessor, the all-new Mokka-e is derived from PSA’s new CMP platform and electric powertrain that have already been utilised on the new Peugeot e-208, e-2008, DS3 Crossback and aforementioned Corsa-e. But while the Corsa was rushed into production due to an awkward life cycle clash between it and other CMP models, the Mokka-e has been given time to be formed into a more representative example of what Vauxhall hopes is the model which will reinvent the struggling manufacturer.'
Old 29 Jun 2020, 10:55 (Ref:3984465)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
With that level of orders (if the figure is reliable) then how common will the Cybertruck be on the roads. It's looks are definitely something that has drawn comment, but with them becoming more commonplace will the impact start to diminish?
The looks are certainly "distinctive" - what's more pressing I'd have thought is that the design as presented at launch wouldn't be road legal (there was something about the lights at least - can't remember if there was anything else). So the production version will have to look different. Is there any indication of when production models will be available?
Old 29 Jun 2020, 12:09 (Ref:3984477)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The looks are certainly "distinctive" - what's more pressing I'd have thought is that the design as presented at launch wouldn't be road legal (there was something about the lights at least - can't remember if there was anything else). So the production version will have to look different. Is there any indication of when production models will be available?
I'm not sure on specific dates.

An article here discusses some of the changes that may be required to meet requirements. These include:
Headlights,
sideview mirrors,
windscreen wipers,
body paint,
tyres,
rounded edges.

They put forward a render that proposes how it may be developed to meet regulations.

That being said - if you were one of the people who already had an order in, how much would be willing to see changed in the design?
Old 29 Jun 2020, 12:32 (Ref:3984481)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm not sure on specific dates.

An article here discusses some of the changes that may be required to meet requirements. These include:
Headlights,
sideview mirrors,
windscreen wipers,
body paint,
tyres,
rounded edges.

They put forward a render that proposes how it may be developed to meet regulations.

That being said - if you were one of the people who already had an order in, how much would be willing to see changed in the design?
These are the questions really aren't they? How long will people wait before thinking - sod it, I actually need a truck/car now not in X months time give me my deposit back? How many people will look at the road legal version and think "nah" that's not what I ordered, give me my deposit back? (I suspect less of the second group - presumably most people putting a deposit down on one of these are Tesla groupies).

In some ways Tesla are way ahead of everyone else - in others (like delivering actual vehicles in a timely manner) they're a bit off still aren't they? I think Tesla are generally a positive influence on the market as whole though - they're forcing other manufacturers to actually think rather than just churn out the same stuff they always do.
Old 29 Jun 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3984528)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
New electric BMW 3 Series spied testing

'BMW is understood to be developing an electric version of the 3 Series to sit alongside the 523bhp i4 EV by 2023 - and an early prototype has been spied testing.'

Not an important point but I'm surprised to see BMW testing this new prototype here in the UK (the second picture is clearly in the UK), I would have expected them to do this closer to home?
Old 29 Jun 2020, 16:27 (Ref:3984531)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Not an important point but I'm surprised to see BMW testing this new prototype here in the UK (the second picture is clearly in the UK), I would have expected them to do this closer to home?
Good spot. I hadn't noticed that before, but I wonder if a British firm is involved with some of the technology closely, so the vehicle was tested near them?

I'm wondering if the partnership with JLR and the battery production at Hams Hall is behind the test being in the UK?

Last edited by crmalcolm; 29 Jun 2020 at 16:35.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3984605)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The 3-Series testing mentioned the i4 that it will sit alongside. Well the i4 is going to get the much-loved BMW 'enhanced' grille.

'Tesla Model 3 rival is based on the 4 Series Gran Coupe, has 523bhp and offers a 373-mile range'

Old 30 Jun 2020, 07:38 (Ref:3984607)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In some ways Tesla are way ahead of everyone else - in others (like delivering actual vehicles in a timely manner) they're a bit off still aren't they? I think Tesla are generally a positive influence on the market as whole though - they're forcing other manufacturers to actually think rather than just churn out the same stuff they always do.
If the Tesla Cybertruck is just a bit too far in terms of styling, the Nikola Badger is a bit more conventional.

'The company, based in Arizona, recently revealed that its fuel-cell pick-up truck will be called the Badger. Pre-orders for the model open today (29 June), and it will be officially unveiled at the company's annual Nikola World event on 4 December, to which customers pre-ordering a Badger will be invited.
Nikola founder Trevor Milton claims showgoers will "get to see a real operating truck, not a fake show truck" that will have "stamped metal panels" and a "functioning interior". It's assumed that these declarations are an oblique reference to the Tesla Cybertruck, which was unveiled last year.'
Old 30 Jun 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3984628)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For those waiting to see a Mach-E in the flesh, a preproduction model has been spotted on the roads in Michigan.

Old 30 Jun 2020, 09:11 (Ref:3984643)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Good spot. I hadn't noticed that before, but I wonder if a British firm is involved with some of the technology closely, so the vehicle was tested near them?

I'm wondering if the partnership with JLR and the battery production at Hams Hall is behind the test being in the UK?
I don't know but another thing is that in the top picture, the sign of the drivers door (presumably it is RHD) does read 'Electric Test Vehicle' so presumably a British project or s strong UK involvement. Interesting...
Old 30 Jun 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3984685)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
For those waiting to see a Mach-E in the flesh, a preproduction model has been spotted on the roads in Michigan.

Interesting - they seem to be going in the opposite direction to BMW on grill design

It's not as hideous as I'd feared but really that Mustang badge does not belong on that. Looks a bit like the Jaguar I-Pace.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 12:03 (Ref:3984689)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's not as hideous as I'd feared but really that Mustang badge does not belong on that.
I expected the badge to be a bit controversial. Although for one of their early EVs, it's understandable to have a cross-over SUV model.

Apparently, those who are not keen on the badge will just refer to it as a Mach-E - whereas those are not 'offended' are expected to call it a Mustang Mach-E.
Old 1 Jul 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3984869)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Citroen confirms details of its SUV-inspired new C4, which is charged with reviving the hatchback segment.

'Citroën says the new C4, which will be offered with an electric ë-C4 version from launch, will “put compact hatchbacks back on the map” through an SUV influenced design and a focus on comfort.'

Old 1 Jul 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3984872)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
New entry-level RWD Porsche Taycan launches in China

'Badged simply ‘Taycan’, the newcomer is the fourth available version of Stuttgart’s Tesla Model S rival so far, joining the 4S, Turbo and Turbo S. It’s destined exclusively for the Chinese market for the time being, but could come to Europe as Porsche caters to growing demand for electric models.'

The badge has been successful in the past with many 'entry level' models being purchased by inspirational owners - I wonder if the same will be true when it comes to EVs?
Old 2 Jul 2020, 07:02 (Ref:3985039)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For those who are looking at EVs with a historic flavour, AC Cars are releasing an EV version of the Cobra.

'Joining the recent trend of electrifying classic models for the new age, the AC Cobra Series 1 electric is claimed to be visually identical to the 1962 original. Just 58 will be made (a reference to the number of years since the original's launch) at a price of £138,000 plus on the road fees. Reservations can be made with a fully refundable £2500 fee. '
Old 2 Jul 2020, 07:04 (Ref:3985040)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Audi are preparing the release of more sport orientated models in the near future.

'Audi’s expanding electric car range has gained its first performance models, with the E-tron S and E-tron S Sportback detailed ahead of UK orders opening later this summer.

Priced from £87,000 for the standard SUV and £88,700 for the Sportback, the two range-topping variants are claimed to be the first volume-production cars to use three electric motors. Two are mounted on the rear axle and one sits at the front.

The result is 496bhp and a stout 718lb ft of torque, although these peak figures are available for only 8sec boost periods. The cars dispatch 0-62mph in 4.5sec and have a 130mph top speed. '

Old 2 Jul 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3985042)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Some other varieties coming to the market in the near future.

Cadillac will be releasing their Lyriq model in August.

If pick-ups are more your thing, the Lordstown Endurance might be of interest?

Or perhaps more mainstream, one of the pioneers of EVs, with the LEAF having been one of the first EVs regularly seen on the roads. The Nissan Ariya is expected soon.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 18:12 (Ref:3985155)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Lordstown truck looks like the Rivian with less useable space.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3985228)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Facelifted Mini could gain plug-in hybrid Cooper S variant

'The 'E-FZG' sticker in the front windscreen means the mule's powertrain is composed of both combustion and electric elements, and given Mini has yet to introduce hybrid or mild-hybrid options to its line-up, it's likely to be a variation of the larger Countryman Cooper S E All4's plug-in powerplant.'

This seems to be another entry into the 'hot-hatch' field of EVS and PHEVs, appealing to a certain market who may be eager to adopt the technology.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 07:37 (Ref:3986139)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Audi A9 E-tron: electric luxury saloon due in 2024

'Audi is aiming to put itself at the head of the electric luxury car ranks with a new flagship model being developed by an in-house working group called Artemis.

Described as “a highly efficient electric car that is scheduled to be on the road as early as 2024”, the advanced Audi is an extension of the Aicon project showcased at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show.'