Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Sep 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4073615)   #26
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see, BTC Racing were going to run SEAT Leons in 2009 and when CVR pulled out, Adam Jones was rumoured to be returning under the Team Air Cool banner.

If Arena/Team Aon had raced in '08 with the Focus', rumour had it Tom Chilton would be partnered by his brother Max, graduating from the T-Cars series.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4073659)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
WSR were hoping to run a third car in 06. James Pickford was linked to the seat
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4073667)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Also GTI Engineering were planning to run a VW Golf in 89
Old 13 Sep 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4073689)   #29
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
WSR were hoping to run a third car in 06. James Pickford was linked to the seat
He was also linked to the 3rd Team Halfords Integra until Gareth Howell appeared in the last four rounds.

Howell was also linked to a 3rd Halfords Civic in '04 but that depended on the outcome of Arena trying to bring back Morrison.

Scott Racing intended to run Tim Scott in an unspecified bio-diesel car (BMW?) in 2007.

Yvan Muller was one of the drivers linked to the 3rd SEAT Leon in '07 until Tom Coronel got the nod.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4073693)   #30
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Yvan Muller was one of the drivers linked to the 3rd SEAT Leon in '07 until Tom Coronel got the nod.
Fat chance of Muller helping Plato! Tarquini was also considered for the SEAT/seat.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 19:07 (Ref:4073707)   #31
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Fat chance of Muller helping Plato! Tarquini was also considered for the SEAT/seat.
I know but that's what Autosport said at the time, including how unlikely that was, I remember reading it. I think Tarquini was mentioned as the alternative.

Tempus intended to run two Chevy Lacetti's in '09 but only Vaulkhard's entry appeared and that was later taken over by Bamboo Engineering.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4073800)   #32
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Bamboo were going to return with the Lacettis, before opting to go WTCC. IF Motorsport were going to run an Abarth, but the car did not meet the regulations

Bamboo were going to return, but didn’t. Forster also were going to continue with the Beemers

RML got as far as building an NGTC Cruze, before pulling out. Tech-Speed were going to do the final few meetings with their S2000 Cruze, with Joe Girling driving. STR did consider doing the series alongside their WTCC campaign. Geoff Steel Racing also planned to return. TH Motorsport were going to run a Skoda for Matt Hamilton. Also Rob Hedley and Ash Shuttlewood were going to race Vectras, for I think TCR, before the cars were sold to ES Racing

Chris Stockton was going to race his hatchback Cruze, but never appeared until the following season. Also AMD were planning to run an NGTC Vectra alongside their S2000 VW

There was the Renault Megane that was built, but never raced

Rob Austin appeared during the midseason test with his HMS Alfa and the car was never seen again
Hang on a min, wasn't Hedley supposed to drive the 2nd Thorney Motorsport Insignia?

Also, wasn't AMD intending to run an NGTC Astra in 2013? They also mentioned the possibility of running a Super 2000 Focus.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4073822)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

Hedley was originally was going to drive a Vectra, but yes he was entered in a second Thorney car after that

And yes I did mean Astra. Dunno why I said Vectra, brain fart
Old 14 Sep 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4073826)   #34
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Hedley was originally was going to drive a Vectra, but yes he was entered in a second Thorney car after that

And yes I did mean Astra. Dunno why I said Vectra, brain fart
Must admit, the further one delves into these things, the more confusing they get.

Thorney originally looked into entering in 2009 or 2010. Their intention was to run a pair of Astra Sport Hatches in '09 with TO-C as lead driver until he replaced Morrison at Team Aon. Can't remember who his team-mate would have been.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4073856)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There was the Renault Megane that was built, but never raced
I thought the Megane was a mock up (road car with NGTC panels) rather than a fully fledged race car?

Also there was the NGTC Skoda Ocatvia that never got further than the some mock up images (TH Motorsport?).
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:05 (Ref:4073858)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I thought the Megane was a mock up (road car with NGTC panels) rather than a fully fledged race car?

Also there was the NGTC Skoda Ocatvia that never got further than the some mock up images (TH Motorsport?).

Russell Morgan, father of Alex, I think was in charge of the Renault

I did mention the TH Motorsport Skoda above
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4073861)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Russell Morgan, father of Alex, I think was in charge of the Renault
That sounds about right - I think the idea was that having seen the mockup people would flock to buy the real thing. We all know how that turned out.

Quote:
I did mention the TH Motorsport Skoda above
Ah - missed that one
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:27 (Ref:4073876)   #38
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
https://www.autosport.com/general/news/gordon-spice-obituary-sportscar-and-btcc-champion-dies-at-81/6667647/ - Was the Plymouth intended for the 1974 BSCC? (R.I.P Gordon Spice)

The 2nd Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 was originally going to be driven by Mark Hazell in 2012 but he dropped out on the eve of the season. Wasn't that car originally earmarked for Chris Swanwick after he did the last two meetings of 2011?

Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh; 14 Sep 2021 at 15:35.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:32 (Ref:4073879)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

I know Barrie Williams was entered in a second Beemer alongside Sytner for the 85 British GP meeting. And Buncombe was entered in the second Mitsubishi alongside Brodie

Dowsett was rumoured to run a Toyota turbo in 1990
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4073882)   #40
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Eugene O'Brien was due to return in a Yap Motorsport Honda Accord after contesting the 1996 RAC Tourist Trophy.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4073952)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know Barrie Williams was entered in a second Beemer alongside Sytner for the 85 British GP meeting. And Buncombe was entered in the second Mitsubishi alongside Brodie

Dowsett was rumoured to run a Toyota turbo in 1990
Vern Schuppan was in the other Colt in '85. Possibly the TT though. Barry Sheene rings a bell for '86 too.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 23:05 (Ref:4073953)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Admitedly i have very little interest in BTCC of the last 20+ years so have mostly no idea about what most of you are talking about!

For me one of the great what ifs is if TWR/ARG didn't withdraw and continued into '85 and onwards with the Rovers and Metros. That would likely have seen BMW GB continue and perhaps Colt and Toyota run 2 cars to compete wity Rouse's Merkurs.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4074024)   #43
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
For those who ARE interested, David Martell and David Gibson entered the 2nd Thruxton race in 1987 but then withdrew to contest the supporting Renault 5 Trophy, proposed BTCC entries that didn't happen because they favoured the support series!

Clyde Valley Racing originally hired Phiroze Bilimoria to partner Dan Eaves before replacing him with Adam Jones on the eve of the 2009 Season.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 12:51 (Ref:4074073)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

When Matt Allison left Robertshaw midway through 2008, I think there was talk of Johnny Herbert taking his seat
Old 15 Sep 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4074077)   #45
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
When Matt Allison left Robertshaw midway through 2008, I think there was talk of Johnny Herbert taking his seat
Herbert? Well I'm not disputing that. I remember Euan Hankey tested the Robertshaw Chevy.

Obviously we've already mentioned Encke Sport, the drivers would have been Nick Beaumont, Danny Buxton or Ed Tilley.

Mark Smith's In-Front Motorsport Alfa Romeo gained a new sponsor in Jessops and got as far as the Autosport International Motor Show but didn't return.

Colin White was linked with running Pinkney's Integra and Malcolm Klein likewise with Richard Marsh's Peugeot.

Isn't this the year Jason Hughes intended to replace his MG with an Integra?

Robertshaw Racing originally intended to run a 2nd Integra alongside Alan Taylor's entry before acquiring the Chevys.

Ben Collins was linked to A-Tech before the infamous attempt to sell off the Alfas to Team 48.

Darrell Wilson's entry was rumoured to appear under the PT Motorsport banner after the Team 48 debacle.

Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh; 15 Sep 2021 at 13:55.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4074080)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

Yes Hughes was going to replace his MG with an ex-Pinkney Integra. When that fell through, Pinkney planned to run the Integra at Donington with Motorbase
Old 15 Sep 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4074095)   #47
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Yes Hughes was going to replace his MG with an ex-Pinkney Integra. When that fell through, Pinkney planned to run the Integra at Donington with Motorbase
Thought so.

I remember the old Forum on the BTCC website had a topic dedicated to the 2000 Season and how the number of entries that year could have been bigger. I think it mentioned Aiello being linked to Honda just so he'd get to defend his title.

Also mentioned I think were a semi-works Nissan effort and a possible return for Nettan Lindgren.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4074219)   #48
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK

The Autosport BTCC preview mentioned a possible return of the HTML Peugeots in the Production Class.

Luke Hines tested one of Gary Ayles' Alfas before signing for Barwell.

Plato was due to return in one of Gary Ayles' Astras as Gavin Pyper's team-mate but that fell through.

Hyla Breese was due to do a full season with John Batchelor's team.

I already mentioned Beacon Motorsport looking to acquire the ex-Atomic Kitten MGs.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 15:15 (Ref:4074226)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Wasn't Harrison going to drive the HTML Peugeot if they came back?
Old 16 Sep 2021, 16:34 (Ref:4074239)   #50
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Wasn't Harrison going to drive the HTML Peugeot if they came back?
I think so and possibly Moen too.

I'm going to start including tests that never went anywhere since James Thompson tested for at least three teams (including Tempus) in 2009 before replacing Shedden at Team Dynamics.

Tags
btcc, unraced