Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:06 (Ref:828648)   #1
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mcrae not doing so well in dakar

Seems mcrae went on in dakar in what he was doing the most in 2003: getting beaten.

Is it time for ole colin to call it a day and retire?
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:12 (Ref:828657)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's not doing to bad IMO. Up to 6th I believe. I think a top 3 result could happen.

Anyway he's swithching to the Prodrive 550 in the new LMES and LM apparently.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:54 (Ref:828690)   #3
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah,i agree Jag,not bad going first time out.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:17 (Ref:828716)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Christ mania, it's his first attempt! I think he's doing quite brilliantly to be honest!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:42 (Ref:828737)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that he currently 6th only 14' 17" behind the leader, which is not much at all.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 21:17 (Ref:828773)   #6
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paris-Dakar is not "just a rally". Holding 5th place in one's first attempt is actually very good - so far. A lot of "big names" tried dakar and found out that is was "different". The slightest mistake can ruin it all. Still a couple of weeks to go. Anything can happen, although I'm sure it will be one of the Mitsubishis winning again.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 21:52 (Ref:828825)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's early days yet. Anything can happen and probably will. I'm going to cheer for de Mavius myself, but I hope Colin does well.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:51 (Ref:828910)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do I. As the others have said, it's very early in the rally. So far he has done very well for a newcomer to this sort of event, IMO.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:27 (Ref:829936)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McRae is 3rd overall now after his 7 1/2 min penalty from yesterday was scrapped. It turned out he hadn't sped through that town after all, there was something wrong with the measuring equipment.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 13:08 (Ref:830435)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: mcrae not doing so well in dakar

Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
Seems mcrae went on in dakar in what he was doing the most in 2003: getting beaten.

Erm. After stage 6 he's 3rd overall only 15 minutes down on the leader. Yeah that's awful - he should pack it in right now!
Old 7 Jan 2004, 16:08 (Ref:830656)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a three week race, its only a third over...this is when you make the first set of pitstops in an F1 race, or the end of leg one in WRC lets not jump to conclusions
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:39 (Ref:830742)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mansellmania: Is this your first Dakar?
According to your opinion I think the answer is yes.

I am not a fan of McRae but he's doing very well in his first Dakar.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:830963)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spot on. Bearing in mind that Biasion is out, and Kleinshmidt and Vatenen both lost major time, and Colin's stayed out of trouble and running fast. How far in front would he have to be to be considered doing well?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 00:09 (Ref:831074)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is his first Dakar. He has limited experience of anything like it. Frankly I'd be impressed if he came 20th!

And he is 3rd at the moment Good thread!

If he crashes tomorrow it ill be a success!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 00:14 (Ref:831081)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He got stuck in a sand dune today.

That never happened to him in Wales...
Old 8 Jan 2004, 08:06 (Ref:831270)   #16
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happened to Gronholm last year though and Burns the year before
Old 8 Jan 2004, 09:07 (Ref:831298)   #17
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having run support for Patrick Tambay in '87 I can assure you that this is a whole different ball game - and the level of experience and professionalism at the top is unbelievable. Nissan are in the 2nd year of a 4 year programme and had Ari & De Villiers as their experienced runners with Colin as a last minute addition. I am not particularly a fan of his, but the man can drive and is still holding 3rd after the longest stage - lets hope he can just survive to day 18.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 09:27 (Ref:831309)   #18
Pitbabe
Racer

England
Grove, Oxfordshire
Pitbabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's doing really well for a newcomer to the Dakar. In an interview last night he said he had to totally rethink his attitude (after getting stuck in the sand), but that he's enjoying it so far. Still, it's very early days. I'm not a particular fan, but I hope he does well.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:831815)   #19
mansellmania
Racer

Well judging from the hype surrounding mcrae youd expect he'd walk this, this ordinary stuff for such a big WRC name.
At least beat his teammate bcs he looked a bit feeble this year being outraced in same cars by imo, lesser gods.
I have to admit he did pretty well.

I just read he damaged his tranny and is out of the rally.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:08 (Ref:831819)   #20
racingdad
Veteran

You really don't understand do you - there is no more similarity between this and WRC than there is between F1 and NASCAR
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:831848)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
You really don't understand do you - there is no more similarity between this and WRC than there is between F1 and NASCAR
I don't agree with you, there is simialrity between WRC and Dakar.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:47 (Ref:831859)   #22
racingdad
Veteran

Yes - they are both off road, both require navigation, er.... The nearest thing the WRC has to the Paris-Dakar is the old Safari rally - no other WRC event even comes close. Sorry, as I said as similar as Nascar & F1
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:59 (Ref:831870)   #23
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Yes - they are both off road, both require navigation, er.... The nearest thing the WRC has to the Paris-Dakar is the old Safari rally - no other WRC event even comes close. Sorry, as I said as similar as Nascar & F1
Ahum, i think the australian rally event is as hard if not harder than that dakar rally.
But as i said, i think colin did well, not great, but he did well.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 19:09 (Ref:831886)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Didn't win McRae win 2 times the Safari rally?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 19:34 (Ref:831903)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ahum, i think the australian rally event is as hard if not harder than that dakar rally.
They are not comparable. There are stages on the Dakar that are as long as the entire Australian Rally, which has repeated stages! So the way you drive them is very very different. Also the cars are very different. I agree with racingdad.
Quote:
But as i said, i think colin did well, not great, but he did well.
So you did, but why:
Quote: