Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Jan 2004, 19:52 (Ref:831915)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Didn't win McRae win 2 times the Safari rally?
Yes, but not until he'd raced it several times, and that was in cars he was familiar with. The challenge is completely different (and for a rookie, much harder) than any WRC event, past or present. Mansell couldn't win teh Indy 500, Andretti couldn't win Le Mans, Zanardi struggled in F1, and there's no automatic reason why Colin should find Paris-Dakar easy.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:34 (Ref:831956)   #27
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

So you did, but why:
Because i still think he should retire after getting beaten by vatanen and god knows who else.
Another retirement or mech trouble for unknown reasons also happend to much with him in 2003.

He did well in dakar, mario andretti did wel vs mansell.. i still say they need(ed) to retire both.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:20 (Ref:832069)   #28
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Obviously mansellmania knows best.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:47 (Ref:832094)   #29
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
Obviously mansellmania knows best.
Racingdad it is JUST my opinion.
If you dont agree, fine.
Please dont take it personal.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:53 (Ref:832098)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So is Colin lining up in MonteCarlo in a couple of weeks?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:832151)   #31
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be more than happy to see Colin on the start list for Monte Carlo, but I don't think it's likely now...
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:01 (Ref:832965)   #32
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mansell, how many times have you won the Dakar?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:24 (Ref:832977)   #33
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the first year you run the Dakar, if you finish in the top 25 you are a winner.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:47 (Ref:833203)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You could almost say any year.

There are few sports left like this, but there is still a sense of "It is the taking part that matters"
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:18 (Ref:834024)   #35
wilky
Rookie

wilky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can any of you lot drive or what? don't you realise he's **** hot at driving and always will be! i'm defending his corner, will never give up on mcrash!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:26 (Ref:834026)   #36
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he's out of the Dakar for this year, unfortunately. He made a great effort and it was the car that defeated him, not anything he did wrong. Well Done McCrash and see you again next year!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:55 (Ref:834038)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rear diff failed unfortunately... sad to see the Nissan towed by the sister car in FWD only...

Colin was bloody quick in an unfamiliar car and unfamiliar terrain... did better than I thought he would, lets hope he comes back next year!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:46 (Ref:834365)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good effort Colin! Showing the world your undoubted skill yet again!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:07 (Ref:834537)   #39
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read this read this report from Nissan that says Colin & Ari are still in the Dakar.

http://www.nissan-dakar.com/EN/RACE/...T/stage10.html
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:13 (Ref:834542)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is the Dakar populair in the UK, or does it only get attention because of McRae?

I get the feeling the rally isn't populair.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:13 (Ref:834543)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never took much interest in it really......but I'm a McRae fan, so now it's suddenly all the rage!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:18 (Ref:834546)   #42
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I can only remember one other Britsh contender. If I am right this motorcycle driver died in the rally a couple of years ago.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:19 (Ref:834549)   #43
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess in today's world, if you don't win every time out, you are considered a failure.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:34 (Ref:834563)   #44
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always followed the Dakar, partly cos it's the only motorsport going on at this time of the year & I take my hat off to all those people who take part especially the guys on bikes.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:32 (Ref:834729)   #45
wilky
Rookie

wilky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
followed rally last year for first time, amazing what they do considering the varying conditions. hooked on it for life now, plus point of having mcrae doing it though!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:25 (Ref:834788)   #46
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also follow the Dakar, not as closer as other formulae but still, and it is the only motorsport on at this time of the year; it has totally changed my view that deserts were flat, fast places with nothing but the odd camel getting in the way, how wrong I was: deserts are dangerous places;
Old 12 Jan 2004, 07:44 (Ref:835038)   #47
racingdad
Veteran

According to the official Dakar web site, McRae is out of the desert and running the liaison route to catch up with the rally - if he gets to them before 18:30 today, he will be allowed to continue. Ari Vatenen however appears to have stopped again with more transmission problems - however he too has all of today to catch up. Amazing footage on Eurosport last night should have brought home to new Dakar viewers just how tough this event really is. I have always been full of admiration for the privateer bikers who are simply mad - ride all day, repair the bike all night....
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:00 (Ref:835523)   #48
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go colin!
He was 2 days! out!!!! they repaired the rear Differential and he is running to catch upthrough the roads, if ever that crazy aero package on that truck should work now is the time. If he drives all day and night- switches with his co driver to avoid rest stops- pees in a cup and tossses it out the window and fuels with a truck drriving alongside him he might make it back in the running!
but the real way i am sure he will simply continue and finish the rally somewhere near last place i'm afraid.
GoCOLIN!!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:12 (Ref:835550)   #49
racingdad
Veteran

If he makes it, he'll be in something like 55th overall. But - if the going gets a little less deep dunes, he can do a Juta and simply drive flat out - could be fun!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 21:21 (Ref:837137)   #50
Liz
Veteran

I hope he keeps going even if he finishes 40th. If there's one thing he does know how to do, it's drive fast!