Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3253829)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard it was difficult to send the sc out just at the right time.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3253997)   #27
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could only do the Saturday at Brands Hatch for the Masters series but what a spectacular day's racing with some real classics from the racing world 'giving it some'. I thought the F1's were loud - the FIA historic grand prix cars just made the earth move. Enough waffle, a few of my favorites from the day although I do keep changing my mind every time I flick through the gallery lol. All shot with the 1Dmk4 and the 300mm 2.8 mkii

#1 1/250, f/6.3, iso 100, 300mm - not the most technically brilliant BUT full size the shot just works (may get this one as a canvas for me)

#2 1/250, f/9, iso 100, 300mm - about the only time I manged to get more than a couple in the same shot

#3 1/160, f/8, iso 100, 300mm - iconic or what

#4 1/250, f/8, iso 100, 300mm - to die for

#5 1/160, f/10, iso 100, 300mm - swear to god, when these guys are coming at you YOU know about it

#6 1/125, f/10, iso 100, 300mm - hard left

'Loads' more including the mental mini's / Ford Falcon / Mustangs / Lotus (all in the same race. . . . bonkers) in THIS GALLERY

Thanks for looking.

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 27 May 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3254043)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a lovely day today, had to get back early ish so last race I watched was the F1 cars, was great to see a few guys out there really pushing these cars.

Not so great to see a car so far off the pace its a little dangerous.

Awesome to get so close to everything and a real welcome feeling.

A real mix of sillymoney transporters that wouldn't lok amiss at a F1 race to prope box trailer stuff aswell. Far more of the latter though which was refreshing.

And I got a cheap ticket with the Metro! So all good, not a big crowd though which is a shame, could have maybe been more stuff for kids and families to offer, very little really.

Best bit though having lived in Bourne was the BRM parade, what a lovely noise
Old 27 May 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3254105)   #29
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed my day at Brands yesterday
Old 27 May 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3254161)   #30
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went today with my son and enjoyed the whole event . Nice and laid back atmosphere, gorgeous cars being driven as they should be. Michael Lyons was fully on it , a real star , mid-pack early on was pretty hectic ! I agree with previous comments about lack of public support, meanwhile it remains our little secret !
Took a few pics too which I will sort through later .
Old 27 May 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3254185)   #31
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry meant Sunday not Saturday - won't let me edit my post for some reason.

.DAVID.

Old 28 May 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3254595)   #32
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend's entertainment and sunshine too! Magnificent as they were I thought the sportscar field was a bit depleted compared with previous years but still great to see and hear. Hell of a rush getting my van back to work mode after camping in it all weekend!
Old 28 May 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3254598)   #33
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Sorry meant Sunday not Saturday - won't let me edit my post for some reason.

.DAVID.
Great pics, thanks for sharing
Old 28 May 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3254652)   #34
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Yes having just looked through the photos on David's website I have to agree They really are pin sharp and capture the cars superbly well, I think I need to get a media bib and a an upgrade on my equipment !
Nice work David
Old 28 May 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3254660)   #35
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never got to meet Brian Johnson after all ... I did see him helmetted and strapped in, in the assembly area waiting to go out, but starstruck 'post-vintage' teenager as I might have been, even i thought it too much to bother him at that point! Saw his car in the paddock lots, but never saw him. Was he any good on track? Actually don't answer that, I'm a fan and i fear nay-sayers!

I did get another trophy - huge fluke to be honest - Iain will tell the story when he has time (unlikely to be soon), if you want to read it from my perspective see the blog; http://elva200.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0...-race-one.html

Really enjoyed the meeting, helped of course by the unseasonal [sic] weather. We can take pills or beer to get over the stress!

i wonder if my luck can continue to hold ...? Iain practically stripping the entire car now after every meeting, a la Red Bull, in an effort to keep it going. I'm really not helping his workload ... sorry mate, I will let you off once it's clear the Trophy is going elsewhere - as it surely must when the rest of those faster boys get their stuff in order ... for now we roll on to Dijon.
Old 28 May 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3254663)   #36
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
Thank you very much for your kind words, makes it all worthwhile!

.DAVID.

Old 28 May 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3254685)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
All was going well untill my pilot issued those famous words "think we need to change the gears ". In his defence James did say we only had a couple of hours and did I want to do the gears after first race as they were not too bad and my hero could drive around the problem. No! No! No! I say,this is the team that can change gears in the collecting area before a race often done if the wind direction changes in FFord.
Anyway,pulled the box out and went off to truck to debrief and sort out what we were going to change,did notice 1st and reverse hub left on main shaft but thats no problem. Built up box and returned to car too pull off said hub,hmm little tap ,hmm, few more taps and a few little words,Hmmm. Hub still not budging.Never mind not a problem its a bit tricky but I can build the box up with hub in place.
Then I get the usual "Iain " where,s this and have you got that, and how you doing mate, so on and so on.Still not got the box together and then some bright spark decided to bring the race forward 30 min's.By this time cars are heading to collecting area and I am still trying to jiggle the gears on to main shaft.Just at this time Colin rang and said he was at the gate waiting for a ticket.Aghhhhh.!!!. James shot across and got him in which was a good job as Colin came in handy bolting up the casing nuts "thanks mate". Cracking co driver.
Decision time as I was having no luck and I can hear the comentator going through the grid and muttering about the fact that the current Laurani points leader was not on the grid. Sod it!!! just left out first and reverse gears and threw the box back together and sent James on his way.a lap down but finnished P2 in class and still current points leader.
Ice creams all round but I have to say that James was just brilliant and patient waiting in the car ready to go.Thanks buddy..
BTW I did pop up too see C of C but bumped into my old mate from Ireland who is one of the FIA stewards so I missed you. Sorry John.
Sunday evening and ecaped out on my bike for a couple of hours some lovelly countryside around Brands.

Up at 4am and back to Mallory to test a new car. Night all.
Old 28 May 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3254748)   #38
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brands

Great result James and Iain. Keep it up! Remarkable restraint and determination shown during the gearbox rebuild - particularly when we could hear the other cars droning round on the formation lap. Best wishes, Robert
Old 29 May 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3254855)   #39
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Robert, it was good to see you at the weekend, thanks for your support.

Thanks also to Colin McKay, I forgot to credit you with your help at a critical moment, sorry for the omission!

James
Old 29 May 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3254966)   #40
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I did was screw a few things up, I'm quite good at that!
Old 29 May 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3255033)   #41
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I missed all you guys. You could have found time to wander over for a chat.
Old 29 May 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3255067)   #42
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
My photographic efforts from Monday can be found here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brit_27...7633786718068/

Please bear in mind that I'm new to photography as a hobby and my equipment is only entry level DSLR, so my shots are not on par with David's superb collection.
I was could only capture the Historic F1's through the fence at Clearways, so have posted the best of a bad bunch there, I found the letterbox gap in the fence just after !

Paul.
Old 29 May 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3255092)   #43
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul - don't sell yourself short. For someone new to photography and with an entry level camera, your photos are a damn good start!
Old 29 May 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3255100)   #44
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Paul - don't sell yourself short. For someone new to photography and with an entry level camera, your photos are a damn good start!
Hear hear! I particularly like the shots "out the back" of the circuit.
Old 29 May 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3255102)   #45
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Thanks for the encouraging response guys .
Old 29 May 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3255154)   #46
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Agree 100%, you really do have some cracking shots there, I don't think you have anything to worry about

.DAVID.

Old 29 May 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3255213)   #47
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Agree 100%, you really do have some cracking shots there, I don't think you have anything to worry about

.DAVID.
Thanks David, it was a great day , will try and attend on the Sunday next year too .