Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:30 (Ref:914732)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Response from Michelin?

Does anyone know if Michelin have issued a press release post Sepang?

It would be interesting to hear their (Pierre Duspasier's-?) response to the weekend.

Last edited by Sodemo; 22 Mar 2004 at 08:30.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:39 (Ref:914742)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin's day Pierre Dupasquier, Michelin motorsport director
"I would like to pay tribute to Juan Pablo Montoya and Jenson Button for the way they drove today. Neither put a foot wrong. Juan Pablo chased hard after the leader and set the quickest lap of the race, more than two seconds faster than any driver went in last season's corresponding fixture. Button faced fierce pressure all race and fully deserved his first F1 podium finish. This event illustrated the close, competitive nature of grand prix racing and it was pleasing to see four of our partner teams record strong points finishes."

Pascal Vasselon, Michelin F1 programme manager
"Temperatures in the race were not quite as high as we had anticipated but the two dry-weather compounds we chose continued to deliver consistent performance, just as they have all weekend. As for the damage to the right rear tyre of Mark Webber's Jaguar, there is clear evidence that this was caused by contact with another competitor."
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:35 (Ref:914785)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expectably, their press release is out of topic; this is a hard defeat for them, much more than in Australia; infact, if in 2003 the two tyre manufacturers proved very different according to the temperature, this year were expected to catch up in the conditions where they used to be weak.
Now, after two races, apparently only BS have done their homework, improving a lot in the heat, whereas Michelin are still weak in the cool, and no more dominant under hot temperatures.
Tough times for them; I'm just wondering whht are they thinking about it at BAR...
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:31 (Ref:914846)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt BAR would be any better off on Bridgestones. They work exceptionally well on the Ferraris, but the Saubers were nowhere. The Bridgestones are so good on the Ferraris because they are produced with that cars specific needs in mind.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:46 (Ref:914862)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the heat, Massa's eight place shouldn't be understimated; Sauber and Ferrari are on two completely different levels so it's a hard task to compare them.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:02 (Ref:914887)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that Ferrari, indeed most of the Bridgestone runners, ran less fuel in qualifying than Williams and BAR. Looking at when the cars pitted or at the fastest laps in the race, it seems to me that Michelin still have an advantage. Ferrari's success is more down to Ferrari than Bridgestone, I think.

Actually, read the race report from grandprix.com, it makes a number of good points. Quote:
Quote:
Michael Schumacher later shrugged off the difference in the length of stints but it was of key importance. Ferrari had qualified with a lot less fuel than had Williams and yet Montoya had been pretty quick. In other words, Ferrari's advantage in qualifying had been artificial. Given what was learned in Melbourne about Ferrari's aerodynamic advantage, it was fair to say that in Malaysia the Ferrari was ahead not because the Bridgestones were faster nor even because they were more consistent than the Michelins. It was because the car was better. In other words, in the hot conditions Michelin still has a tyre advantage.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:07 (Ref:914892)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb

Now, after two races, apparently only BS have done their homework, improving a lot in the heat, whereas Michelin are still weak in the cool, and no more dominant under hot temperatures.
Whilst i have to say, i agree with what you've said here climb, according to Martin Brundle, during yesterdays race. Michael took a calculated gamble going with the softs, and the tempreture was a lot lower than it historically has been, (just as we saw in Oz), had it been hotter, Rubens might have picked the better tyre. How it would have faired against the Michelin, had it been hotter, who knows?

*if there is a god, he must be a Michael Schumacher fan* [/JOKE]

Last edited by Mr V; 22 Mar 2004 at 11:08.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:36 (Ref:915633)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Response from Michelin? From Autosport:

""Dupasquier blamed the teams his company supplies for the shortfall in performance between them and Ferrari, and said Michelin is doing just as good a job as Bridgestone.

"Bridgestone will never be ahead of us," he declared. "Do not confuse Ferrari and Bridgestone. If they had Michelin tyres on their car, there would be no championship any more. We are not at fault, but everyone has to push. It is a total. If you have one weak point anywhere, it doesn't work."""

There seem to be this evident blame culture among top runners from Michelin camp. So far we've heard Michelin blame teams for the loss, JPM blame Ferrari for 2nd... when's Ron gonna speak up too? too busy solving the problems on his hands.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:44 (Ref:915647)   #9
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, I also heard that McLaren did not give Williams any tyre testing data for the first time in X amount of time
Old 22 Mar 2004, 20:53 (Ref:915660)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain was at start, right ?
No high temps then..., I guess.
Bahrain will be a different story...
Old 22 Mar 2004, 21:29 (Ref:915697)   #11
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I'm wrong but MS said he was running light during quailifying.The second car on the grid was green wasn,t it?They use Michelin don't they?MS stated in the press conference afterwards he had nothing more to give and was lucky to take pole.
Unfortunatly we will never know how much fuel MW was carrying thanks to Ralf but it would have been interesting to find out.
Damon & testure have it right when they say its about Ferrari being so far ahead.As Pierre D says put Michelins on a Ferrari and there is no championship.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 22 Mar 2004 at 21:31.