Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3230224)   #1
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Concrete wall V armco fencing

Would concrete wall have reduced the damage on both Reynonds and Pye's cars today. It looked if the BottleO cars front wheel caught the ridging of the armco and climbed up the railing, possible would have glanced off concrete. With Pye's car it was more head on contact however it still looked as if the nose was caught as result of the armco bending. Hoping there is a clear for and against discussion.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3230228)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I like armco bending....
Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3230231)   #3
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
armco will absorb energy - concrete sure does not

Pyes accident would have been a lot worst without both armco and the tyres behind it - concrete normally in a place where there is no movement provided

no contest
Old 7 Apr 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3230233)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post

Pyes accident would have been a lot worst without both armco and the tyres behind it - concrete normally in a place where there is no movement provided

no contest
What he said.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3230242)   #5
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would prefer concrete with lots of tyres bundled in front, but the Armco did it's job in this case.

I am thinking about spectator safety here as well however.

Last edited by Juarez Jed; 7 Apr 2013 at 08:24. Reason: extra info
Old 7 Apr 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3230251)   #6
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post

no contest
The 'tyres behind it' were the only barrier there up until just before last years event (don't hold me to that it may have been the event before which was only about 5 months earlier).

I don't want to think of the consequences of such an impact with the tyre wall only.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3230258)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The commentators had said they could not recall a car hitting that exact piece of fencing, at that angle... with 20+ years of going to Tasmania.. its an interesting aside..

Mr Pye's car was defective according to the team, a component failed.. easy to happen once, twice, several times...

A gravel trap in front of the wall may have helped slow the car down, but it kinda dug in anyway, to an almost vertical position.. and back again... that would hurt bigtime!

The Crash
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3230261)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a car has zero brakes then gravel traps do not work.

The car needs to be either going sideways or the wheels locked so they dig in to slow the car down otherwise it simply rolls along on top of the gravel.

Interesting that some tracks can still have armco or earth filled tyre walls while others were forced to go concrete years ago.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3230265)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What fence structure could you use to arrest this...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3230292)   #10
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that was a concrete barrier at that speed, regardless of cage structure & HANS device, there's every possibility it could very well have been a fatality..

It was one of those freak things that happened at a part of the track where that wall doesn't normally cop a hit..

He's very lucky to have just walked away with a sprained wrist...
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3230293)   #11
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't seen a slo-mo but it appears the car was down on its suspension travel just as it hit the fence. Maybe that's why it bucked so high in the air after impact?

Bet there are a large number of fans glad there wasn't the slightest of rises just before the armco that would have launched the car over the barrier.....

I was in the same spot at Symmons in 2011 when Murph lost a wheel. Counted my lucky stars that day too. It so easily could have gone into the crowd.

Makes me realise a catch fence along the pit straight at Bathurst maybe isn't such a bad idea after all.......
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:07 (Ref:3230294)   #12
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
deleted

Last edited by Average Punter; 7 Apr 2013 at 10:08. Reason: You don't need to read it twice. It's not that good...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3230297)   #13
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Haven't seen a slo-mo but it appears the car was down on its suspension travel just as it hit the fence. Maybe that's why it bucked so high in the air after impact?
The rear got one last bounce off the gravel before impact, and went in nose down, bum up as a result. The deepest indentations on the armco are right at the bottom. Hitting the armco at that speed and that strange angle then launched the rear of the car into the air.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3230303)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The commentators had said they could not recall a car hitting that exact piece of fencing, at that angle... with 20+ years of going to Tasmania.. its an interesting aside..

Mr Pye's car was defective according to the team, a component failed.. easy to happen once, twice, several times...

A gravel trap in front of the wall may have helped slow the car down, but it kinda dug in anyway, to an almost vertical position.. and back again... that would hurt bigtime!

The Crash
If you look at the car a moment before it hits the wall, it's actually launched upwards, meaning there was vertical momentum before the nose hit. This is most likely what caused the car to lift so aggressively (Mind you, It's been 12 years since I studied physics...)

Plenty of interesting discussion. Clearly flat concrete is better for side on impact or brushing against, but the armco is better for front on impact. I can remember an incident with Heikki Kovaleinen in a McLaren some years ago, where the car actually slid under the tyres, and it was pretty dangerous. And think back to Paul Radisich's incident at Bathurst - the earth filled tyres did their job but it still stung.

Despite being expensive, at corners like that one, is it worth looking at motorcycle racing style foam blocks?

Of course, remember, motor racing is dangerous!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3230310)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
interesting discusion. can we add COTF to the equation.

the cars seem to collaps in a different way than in the past
Old 7 Apr 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3230492)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having attended literally hundreds of race car accidents over the years the correct answer to the question is 'it depends'.

Each type of accident is best served by a particularly type of barrier and system for slowing the cars before accident. The best solution is to try to have the type of accident which suits what you've got...

If you're going to have a glancing side accident, look for concrete. Head on? Tyre wall and gravel. High angle of attack needs Armco. Motorcycle foam blocks are designed to soak up low kinetic energy impacts without injuring the rider and aren't really suitable for cars. Up here we have a lot of Recticel barriers which are similar, but again, they're best for head on accidents.

The circuit designers can only do their best for the type of accident they think is most likely at a particular point, and then review it after each impact.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3230624)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you watch a slomo the reason the rear went up was the nose dipped at the last split second and the rear hit a bump and was lifting so when the front stopped the rear kept going upwards.

On a lighter note the guy in the crowd in the hoodie in the background looks like he's absconding after sticking up a 7-11
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3230630)   #18
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
On a lighter note the guy in the crowd in the hoodie in the background looks like he's absconding after sticking up a 7-11
I couldn't work out if he was the only smart one or the others had fallen a sleep. He's doing an Olympic sprint and everyone else is just sitting watching.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3230635)   #19
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
I couldn't work out if he was the only smart one or the others had fallen a sleep. He's doing an Olympic sprint and everyone else is just sitting watching.

Had a good laugh at that bloke too.

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 7 Apr 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3230636)   #20
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, yeah we slo mo'd just to watch that guy multiple times, I love the way he tried to look cool and casual once he realised he was safe. Good reaction time tho!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3230641)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having now watched the video, I'd say that did it's job fairly well. Most importantly, the car was contained within the circuit which is the principal job of any fencing. It deformed and soaked up energy and it remained in serviceable condition for any subsequent impact.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 06:54 (Ref:3230714)   #22
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whilst hoping for a speedy recovery for him, did his car not have turn in issues 3-4 times prior during the weekend at the same spot he initially left the track??
Old 8 Apr 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3230723)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The fact the driver and team kept going with a car with a mechanical issue hasn't really been discussed on this one yet.

Perhaps if they'd stopped they'd still have a car to send over to UnZed.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3230895)   #24
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
The fact the driver and team kept going with a car with a mechanical issue hasn't really been discussed on this one yet.

Perhaps if they'd stopped they'd still have a car to send over to UnZed.
Yes, and for all the praise of CotF safety and the HANS device etc, frankly 20 years ago he would have come into the pits when the brakes started feeling a bit dodgy. Drivers and spectators seem to forget just how dangerous any given category is until a fatality reminds them.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3231209)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the run off way too short consider the corner approach speed? Shouldn't run off be longer with four layer tire barrier?

The inside area of the corner should have been a lot smoother. Wouldn't the gravel trap be less effective because it was so undulating?

Wasn't it back in the mid 90's when all the circuit safety upgrades happened, Magny Cours replaced alot of the concrete walls with armco.