Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2001, 21:26 (Ref:97003)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takuma Sato for 2002 F1 drive?

Before today’s qualifying session, on channel 4, there was a motorsport programme including highlights of the British F3 Championship. I was so impressed by Takuma Sato - I think that he'll be the best racer that Japan has ever produced. I'm sure that he'll make it to the grid for next season (It's about time the world of F1 welcomed Japan back into the sport). Takuma is a superb racer and I'm just praying that the team bosses are recognising this talent. I know I'm just speculating, but Bobby Rahal was present at the event (maybe a 2003 Jag drive?) and he, along with Davidson and the other BAR test drivers will soon be challenging Jacques and Olivier for the BAR race drive. The sooner Japan has a representative in F1, the better.
Old 26 May 2001, 21:29 (Ref:97004)   #2
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV will be leaving BAR this year, and so will Olivier Panis if he has any sense!
Old 26 May 2001, 21:34 (Ref:97007)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you think, Total-F1, JV is returning to CART next year ?
Or is there any decent team for him next year ?
Jaguar maybe ?
Old 26 May 2001, 21:41 (Ref:97009)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has a Renault offer on the table - a DECENT team to build around himself...and they need a star driver
Old 26 May 2001, 21:46 (Ref:97011)   #5
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
Jacques is in trouble. There are no 'great' F1 teams for him to go to - I feel that another year at BAR is on the cards.
Old 26 May 2001, 21:47 (Ref:97013)   #6
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
The Renault team may become a 'great', but not for a few years.
Old 26 May 2001, 22:00 (Ref:97017)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes Total. NOW you give me something to think about ! That's reasonable, because Flavio has an eagle-eye, and JV can be a great choice.
I don't underestimate the power of Renault like this, Luca. Their history in F1 proves it. They're smart enough to keep the Benetton brand without prejudicing the Renault one, before they get a decent car. Watch out !
Old 26 May 2001, 22:01 (Ref:97019)   #8
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, JV will choose BAR over Renault every time, he has said as much. Renault has the potential to be another time and money pit, perhaps needing a lot of both to become competetive, but if Honda were to buy BAR, with JV as their main man, he would be looking at much better prospects.
Old 26 May 2001, 22:13 (Ref:97027)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ok, Orange. I have posted in another topic that Jordan would be a better choice for Honda. But, if they indeed take control of BAR, so JV should stay there.
Old 27 May 2001, 11:49 (Ref:97205)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The amount of drivers who will be driving for Renault next year is huge. Fisichella, Button, Trulli, Alonso, Villeneuve, Webber. Any chance of a 6 car team? I reckon Fisi and Button will stay at Renault next year. However, there may be a question mark over Button.

I believe that Briatore wants Trulli in a competitive Renault. I feel as though he's waiting for Trulli to mature as a driver and the Renault to become competitive - with the aim of making Trulli world champion. Just a thought.

As for Sato - I haven't seen much of him, but he definitely seems to be the real deal. Good luck to him.
Old 27 May 2001, 11:57 (Ref:97209)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So will be Trulli and Fisichella at Renault ?

JV will stay at BAR.
Old 27 May 2001, 12:07 (Ref:97214)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a distinct possibility.

Trulli is contracted to Briatore - who has massive wraps on Jarno. Flavio is desperate for another Italian World Champ and believes Jarno is the man. However, Jarno likes Jordan a lot. It will certainly be very interesting to see what happens - with Briatore having his fingers in so many pies (so to speak).

If it happens you heard it from me first.

If it doesn't, it wasn't me.

PS. Have a listen to me, I sound like the guru of f1. Ha!

PPS. Isn't this a Takuma Sato topic?
Old 27 May 2001, 12:57 (Ref:97244)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Takuma who ?
Old 28 May 2001, 18:08 (Ref:97928)   #14
garyegrant
Rookie

garyegrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Sato certainly romped away with the 2nd race at Croft today, and he got himself involved in a very 'Montoya-esque' incident in the 1st race, so I hope so - he looks like one to watch!

Sorry to hijack the Trulli/Fisichella thread...
Old 29 May 2001, 11:58 (Ref:98300)   #15
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato is most definitely the best driver to come out of Japan, is a real racer and has the ability to be very good indeed. Honda patronage probably won't hurt either, so it'll probably be BAR next year Go Taku!

BTW Gary, did you see the shunt at Croft? If so, I'd apreciate a first hand assesment, either here or over in the Junior Formulae forum. Ta

Last edited by Marshal; 29 May 2001 at 12:00.
Old 29 May 2001, 14:30 (Ref:98369)   #16
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
Sato is most definitely the best driver to come out of Japan, is a real racer and has the ability to be very good indeed. Honda patronage probably won't hurt either, so it'll probably be BAR next year Go Taku!

He'll be very expensive, 'coz in testing he almost everytime crashed the car he was driving
Old 30 May 2001, 10:17 (Ref:98725)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Run Free

He'll be very expensive, 'coz in testing he almost everytime crashed the car he was driving
Exactly what I was going to say - he has a penchant for chucking his car off the Silverstone tarmac in great style...
Old 30 May 2001, 15:45 (Ref:98898)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Maybe it is what he calls driving !

Old 31 May 2001, 15:25 (Ref:99343)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And The Kat will always be Japan's greatest.

Old 31 May 2001, 20:45 (Ref:99456)   #20
Run Free
Racer

Quote:

Sato at BAR next year? Are you joking? And who will he replace? Panis? Villeneuve?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 08:09 (Ref:99633)   #21
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends whether Honda supply 1 team or 2. If its the latter than I reckon JV goes to Jordan and is replaced by Sato. And MFan, havingf seen them both race, he is better than Katayama
Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:59 (Ref:99714)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Because he's japanese and the engine is japanese.

Uhn... Doesn't look like Honda handle things this way.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 20:53 (Ref:100266)   #23
Run Free
Racer

Quote:
Depends whether Honda supply 1 team or 2. If its the latter than I reckon JV goes to Jordan and is replaced by Sato.
And if honda buy out BAR and drops Jordan?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 03:30 (Ref:100326)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BAR boss had stated in an interview that he had one of the "strongest driving pair" who "respects each other", but they are also "hugely expensive" and BAR is "like other teams" a team with financial limits...sounds like he would love to keep them on board...but financial problems might hit them...

But provided JV keeps his word and move on should BAR fail to finish top 3 this year...!

By the way, i do hope Sato will come F1! i had only managed to see him race in Macau i think, but i reallly want to see how well he does in F1. Perhaps, if Jarno is forced back to Benetton, Sato could take a Jordan drive...
Old 3 Jun 2001, 09:12 (Ref:100369)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yes, F1 is missing a japanese driver.

Let Sato come !