Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 31 Oct 2002, 23:51 (Ref:418967)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Siffert & Rodriguez

I am looking for really good pictures of both men. Especially good pictures showing there helmet designs. Can anyone out there help? Please post them...

Also maybe I can spark a conversation that involves great racing (and possibly the odd mention of 917s! )
Old 1 Nov 2002, 02:35 (Ref:419041)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Jo Sifferts helmet is easy
Attached Thumbnails
siffertmontage.gif  
Old 1 Nov 2002, 02:40 (Ref:419043)   #3
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
In the BRM..
Attached Thumbnails
siff3.jpg  
Old 1 Nov 2002, 04:36 (Ref:419063)   #4
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Pedro in the BRM too,his helmet was silver and black with"Rodrigeuz" on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp201d.jpg  
Old 1 Nov 2002, 07:11 (Ref:419103)   #5
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
There you go Pedro's helmet
Attached Thumbnails
rodz1.jpg  
Old 1 Nov 2002, 14:26 (Ref:419395)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks
Old 1 Nov 2002, 15:11 (Ref:419443)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two of the most powerful images from my many memories of going racing are both from Brands Hatch. One is being soaked to the skin watching a pure master at work. Pedro Rodrigues in the Gulf 917 was a absolute master of the conditions sliding the car out of Druids on every single lap - never giving up. Although I was only 12 years old at the time I knew I was watching a pure genious.
The second was shocking and something that I will never ever forget. It was Autumn 1971 and I stood at the foot of Paddock at Brands with my brothers and parents watching the non Championship F1 race to celebrate Stewart's F1 Championship for Tyrrell. Gethin's BRM and Fittipaldi's Gold Leaf Lotus were contesting the lead with Jo 'Seppi' Siffert's BRM in 4th place. Only a few laps into the race we realised that it had gone very quiet, the engines had stopped. Then people started pointing and looking behind me I saw a huge pall of black smoke coming from the Hawthorne's Bend area of the circuit. The mood was very sombre and after a while a marshal's van came past and one of the occupants signalled to his colleagues (on the post in front of us) with a 'thumbs down'. Everyone knew then that something really terrible must have happened. An age passed and then the commentator announced that it was Seppi who had crashed. It wasn't until we were in the quiet car journey home that we knew he had died as announced on the radio news. In those days there were many death's on the circuits, Pedro having himself been killed at The Norisring earlier in 71.
It is ironic that two of the cleanest drivers around should have died in freak accidents which in a way helped to accelerate the safety standards we have today. There were not too many 'dangerous' drivers in those days due to the risks in going off. Many of todays drivers are anything but clean in their driving yet they all benefit from the safety standards from those 'terrible' days.
Pedro and Jo were great examples as to how a racing driver should be.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 03:29 (Ref:424281)   #8
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rear quarter view......
Attached Thumbnails
f1_196407_jo_siffert_01.jpg  
Old 8 Nov 2002, 03:38 (Ref:424288)   #9
strad
Veteran

In the Porsche
Attached Thumbnails
siffert porche.jpg  
Old 8 Nov 2002, 03:43 (Ref:424292)   #10
strad
Veteran

No helmet but a nice shot.......
Attached Thumbnails
pedrorodriguez.jpg  
Old 9 Nov 2002, 15:03 (Ref:425137)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some cracking pictures, Thanks for the story too Andrew, reminds us of the days where race drivers were racing drivers.

Any pictures of Pedro in the Gulf 917?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 22:38 (Ref:426680)   #12
strad
Veteran

Only one I have.....
Attached Thumbnails
po937.gif  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 15:43 (Ref:429287)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that is a beaut!

Cheers strad!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:52 (Ref:429429)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Two of the most powerful images from my many memories of going racing are both from Brands Hatch. One is being soaked to the skin watching a pure master at work. Pedro Rodrigues in the Gulf 917 was a absolute master of the conditions sliding the car out of Druids on every single lap - never giving up. Although I was only 12 years old at the time I knew I was watching a pure genious.
A while ago on another forum, someone raised the question 'if you had the ability to travel through time and go back to watch any races in history, which would they be?'- that Brands race came up in quite a few people's lists- mine included.

I remember seeing a wonderful photo somewhere of Pedro exiting Druids just as you describe- the car is so sideways that the nose is virtually pointing into the bank on the inside of the track....
Old 16 Nov 2002, 02:24 (Ref:429695)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In those days there were many death's on the circuits, Pedro having himself been kill

Quote:
Originally posted by strad
No helmet but a nice shot.......
I met Pedro with Dickie Attwood when I was aged about 17, unfortunately I was too young and stupid to take full advantage of the meeting and ask them about some of their exploits (I was also a little overawed - probably). Wish I could go back in time and get a good spectating spot near Druids!!!
Old 19 Nov 2002, 01:32 (Ref:431897)   #16
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too remember that race at Brands with Rodriguez in the 917 - I was 18 at the time - and somewhere in my archives - (archives being short for "in an unopened box in the loft from some distant past house move") - I have a reel of Super 8mm film, shot across from the top of Paddock Hill Bend, of those monster cars - and the 512's - sliding out of Druids through what amounted to not much less than a river. A truly unbelievable sight. Now, where's that torch.....
Old 21 Nov 2002, 19:35 (Ref:434194)   #17
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the names Siffert and Rodriguez a hairy situation comes back to my mind: it was 1969 or 1970 at Spa 1000km race. in the first line of the grid were the two John Wyer 917 with Siffert and Rodriguez.When the flag fell and the race started, both accelerated with the same speed, bumping each other at the bottom of Eau Rouge and dissapearing side by side . I filmed that race by Super 8, and it´s time to have a look at this situation of struggelings within the same team. Both have gone years ago, but the rememberings staying alive.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 03:48 (Ref:521104)   #18
cjpani
Rookie

cjpani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great shots and (incomplete) translation to english:

www.porsche917.com.ar

Carlos
Old 1 Mar 2003, 09:40 (Ref:521219)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cjpani

An excellent site thankyou.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 16:13 (Ref:521447)   #20
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klaus, there's a picture in this month's Motor Sport of that very Siffert/Rodriguez 917 moment at the bottom of Eau Rouge.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:522863)   #21
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yer tiz...
Attached Thumbnails
copy of rodriguez and siffert.jpg  
Old 3 Mar 2003, 02:45 (Ref:523091)   #22
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 of the best racing pictures I have seen. A classic.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 10:57 (Ref:524317)   #23
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely a great pic. I've got some video footage of that start - amazing. It was the 1970 race and the only guy who could stay with them was a certain Mr Ickx. He MIGHT have won except John Surtees (perhaps passed his brilliant best by then) wasn't quite able to maintain the pace.
The next year the Gulf 917s of Rodriguez/Oliver and Bell/Siffert finished 1-2 at 155mph. Bell's fastest lap was over 160mph and was about, I think, 11 seconds faster than the F1 record at the time. I don't know why, but the idea of Grand Prix drivers racing Sportscars which could blow F1 cars into the weeds rather appeals.....
Old 4 Mar 2003, 14:02 (Ref:524500)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What video is the footage on?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 18:17 (Ref:524671)   #25
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's on a Gulf Racing video covering their 1968 (with GT40) and 1970 (with 917s and 908s) campaigns. I'll find out more detail if you'd like.