Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
mittong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Superkart Title Article

Geoff Mitton Productions

Omega Karts
Stockman Superkarts

2005 AUSTRALIAN SUPERKART CHAMPIONSHIP (GEARBOX)
Bulletin #3: Final Report

McIlveen, McIntyre and Zavaglia Complete Perfect Runs

The opening round of the Australian Superkart Championship (Gearbox) was held as part of the fourth round of the Australian Motor Racing Series at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit where four time Australian Champion Warren McIlveen won four races for four starts over the weekend, taking the first step towards reclaiming the title he lost last year to Brian Stockman.

McIlveen was consistently half a second a lap faster than the competition as he raced away to four untouched race victories giving him the maximum 85 series points ahead of Round 2 to be held at Eastern Creek. McIlveen was the only racer to duck into 1:33s bracket all weekend. Further back, Robert Oakley and Brian Stockman split the second and thirds for the weekend between them with Oakley claiming three second positions.

Fourth and fifth for the weekend were Queensland competitors Carlo Chermaz and Steven Cloake, with both limping karts home to the finish that had been involved in accident with Chermaz notably claiming a sixth despite a bent axle causing tremendous vibrations and a lack of first gear blighting his Sunday afternoon starts.

Two retirements, the first a fuel pump failure, prevented from former top European competitor Gerry Siebert from denting the points while another quick driver Rod Prickett had mechanical dramas drop him down the pointscore.

In the 250 National division, Victorian Jason McIntyre was equally dominant, taking his Anderson-Honda too the only class victories, not won by Stockman karts. The battle over second in the class was at times fierce with reigning champ Graeme Williams claiming second for the day ahead of rookie Victorian Rick Setterfield.

125s saw reigning champ Sam Zavaglia take four wins, but the opposition got closer all weekend with Anthony Lappas in particular quick although a first race retirement would eventually see him third in the pointscore behind Mark Rogers.

The conclusion to the Australian Superkart Championship (Gearbox) will be held over four races at Sydney's Eastern Creek on the 23rd & 24th of July.

1st 250 International - Warren McIlveen (Max Marine / Soundys Retravision Stockman-Honda) : “I'm really happy everything went really well on the weekend. I had no problems and just had to save the tyres in the race from blistering, they were getting fairly worn.”

2nd 250 International - Robert Oakley (Stockman-Honda): “It was very good. Obviously I would have liked to come away with a win, but to match the lap times that Warren was doing was almost impossible I think, but I got into the mid 34s and that was my aim, and to be coming second in the championship ahead of Brian (Stockman) and Gerry Siebert is very good for me.”

3rd 250 International - Brian Stockman (Stockman Superkarts Stockman-Honda): “I couldn't be happier. 1-2-3 in the twin class and at least first in the 125 class I'm quite happy. I could have done better myself, but that's the way things go. We've got to get back to Sydney to prep the karts to get on the boats on Wednesday for Laguna Seca.”

4th 250 International – Carlo Chermaz (PVP-Yamaha): “It didn't end up too bad an outcome over the weekend despite two races there with no first gear, so the starts were quite difficult and it was a bit of a fightback through the pack. I'm pretty happy with the weekend overall, just get it ready for Eastern Creek.”

1st 250 National Jason McIntyre (Marron Excavations / Wizzer Race Engines Anderson-Honda): “It's been great. The car hasn't been halted in any way, we changed the gearing for the last race for more top end but it was a little bit better but we;re unsure how much better. Four wins, can't beat that.”

1st 125 Gearbox Sam Zavaglia (Stockman Superkarts Stockman-Honda): “I've done it now, somehow I've got to find a kart for Round 2. There has already been a deposit put on this kart so I won't be driving this one. I'm happy with my performance and I'm looking forward to Laguna Seca. The competition was getting there and pretty soon I would have had a rough time. The traffic wasn't helping of course but there was three or four driver pretty similar to my times today.”

Points: 250 International: Warren McIlveen 85, Robert Oakley 71, Brian Stockman 67, Carlo Chermaz 45, Steven Cloake 43, Peter Bryant 42, Chas Maddern 40, Rod Prickett 33, Nigel Cole 29, Gerry Siebert 26 etc

250 National: Jason McIntyre 85, Graeme Williams 52, Rick Setterfield 50, Dennis Jones 48, Martin Latta 48, Chris Sullings 45 etc

125: Sam Zavaglia 85, Mark Rogers 65, Tony Lappas 54, Dean McGinty 53, Darren Dunn 48, Grant McFarlane 44 etc

The Australian Superkart Championships are supported by Geoff Mitton Productions, producer of Karting DVD and Games, Omega Racing Karts, suppliers of ICC Superkarts and Sprintkarts and Stockman Superkarts, constructors of 250 and 125 Superkarts.

Geoff Mitton Productions
Omega Karts
Stockman Superkarts