Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3980000)   #16
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that the sounds are important and play a part in choosing favourites. However it is a secondary consideration, the primary aim of a race car is to win. That is what gives it it’s “soul”. Boy did those Audi’s have that. Maybe not the superficial passion, but the deep rooted racing soul where real passion sits.

Oh and V12s sound ace, but V8s, turbo flat sixes, even 4s and everything else in between, or outside, along with quiet, loud, rotary and turbine all have their place.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3980003)   #17
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I agree that the sounds are important and play a part in choosing favourites. However it is a secondary consideration, the primary aim of a race car is to win. That is what gives it it’s “soul”. Boy did those Audi’s have that. Maybe not the superficial passion, but the deep rooted racing soul where real passion sits.

Oh and V12s sound ace, but V8s, turbo flat sixes, even 4s and everything else in between, or outside, along with quiet, loud, rotary and turbine all have their place.
I remember seeing the 1-series diesel that was in the BTCC a few years ago. It stood out (not just because of being way off pace) because it was so quiet in comparison to the other cars.
When it went past though, because it was so far off the pace, it was regularly away from the pack. That meant you could hear it in isolation, and there was a definite sound of it's own that gave a sense of power being delivered, just in a different manner.

Did I prefer it to the petrol cars? No.
Would I have accepted it if it became the standard? Yes.

As you say, each sound has its place and can be enjoyed for differing reasons. For me, it's not always the sound of an engine though but sometimes the feeling it gives too.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3980010)   #18
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I remember seeing the 1-series diesel that was in the BTCC a few years ago. It stood out (not just because of being way off pace) because it was so quiet in comparison to the other cars.

Of course a year later diesels were run far more successfully by SEAT. Third in the championship and was Giovanardi's closest rival for the majority of the season.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3980012)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V12. As well as still being able to hear afterwards. The rotary is too loud so as to be unpleasant.

I love the bellow of a V12.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3980025)   #20
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
The sound of the V12s I've heard in cars such as 333SP , Matra MS 670 , 512M is one of the most beautiful man -made sounds I have ever heard and the older I get the closer I become to being moved to tears by that unique howl . But the most extraordinary sounding race car I have heard was the Toyota TF 105 F1car - nothing has come close to that combination of doomy V10 wail , underpinned by seismic rumbles and groans on the overrun
Old 4 Jun 2020, 10:08 (Ref:3980100)   #21
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Of course a year later diesels were run far more successfully by SEAT. Third in the championship and was Giovanardi's closest rival for the majority of the season.
IIRC, the drivers of the SEATs talked about having to adjust their driving styles due to a different feedback from the engine into the cabin - including a different sound.

Which leads me to wonder - if the same question of V12 or Rotary was put to drivers, would they have a different opinion based on the feedback to their driving and the sound within the car as opposed to outside?
Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3980122)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_Ig1VVVPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPgE40t4dc
To my ears the worse remains the '74 Sigma. I must admit they had fantastic mechanics.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3980128)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just listened to both of those and admit the matra did sound good, but the mazda brings back memories for me that mean it will always sound to my ears anyway better.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 04:38 (Ref:3980263)   #24
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent Video F1 V10 vs 333SP V12, the V10 sounds fantastic but the V12 has a little more, that more that makes it incredibly fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuBfR12sS4s
Old 5 Jun 2020, 06:13 (Ref:3980264)   #25
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
If you look for the incar video on Youtube of the 333SP at Ricard it is even better... it helped get me through some very boring afternoons in lockdown !
Old 5 Jun 2020, 08:01 (Ref:3980276)   #26
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any kind of rotative ?
I ask this question because the Mazda birotor was sounding like an overwrought electric coffee grinder.

I liked the melodious 333SP, the metallic exhaust of the BMW of the McLaren F1 (1995), the Mazda 767/787 was sounding nice but was too noisy. The 550 and DBR9 were good too.

Last edited by PascaLM; 5 Jun 2020 at 08:09.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3980283)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find not all 6 in line Bimmers are melodious. We had an ex Le Mans unit built by Randlinger, may be bought from Didier Bonnet but not sure, the sound was horrible, specially when installed in a Z3 M…
Old 6 Jun 2020, 21:51 (Ref:3980570)   #28
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most disappointing V12 was the Mercedes CLK GTR, even when driven by Klaus Ludwig. It almost sounded like some air-restricted V6 turbo.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3985136)   #29
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Audi won Le Mans 13 times but none of those cars had a fabulous sound and therefore none of those cars will be important in history.
I can't understand that, what is the point of winning a race so many times if you don't achieve a historic victory?
Mazda won a single victory but that victory is more important than the 13 of Audi, because that car is iconic and everyone wants it.
Your question is weird. You just made own very narrow and weird definition of "historic". The 787B win is special because it was Japanese car with a different engine than anyone else, not because of the sound (which probably most "the best sound" commenters have not even heard in real life?).

And 787B's internet age reputation is fueled by the inane ban conspiracy that just keeps being repeated (just look at any of those Youtube links you posted and probably one of the top comments in each of them refers to the ban conspiracy).