Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Sep 2018, 07:56 (Ref:3850524)   #101
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw elsewhere that the race start was delayed. What was the reason and what time did it start?

Great result Mike.

Juha, some very good pictures as always.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3850557)   #102
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm 32 cars out of 115 starters did not contain at least one GB driver, getting on for 70% of the drivers were GB licence holders -makes for an interesting conundrum as to how many will jump through the hoops which Brussels puts in their way for next year.
Maybe Alain and Vincent are already lobbying !
Re the Triumph SLR I've never understood how it is possible to ''recreate'' something which which was not previously in existence, another mystery.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3850565)   #103
stiggy
Rookie

stiggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
Hmm 32 cars out of 115 starters did not contain at least one GB driver, getting on for 70% of the drivers were GB licence holders -makes for an interesting conundrum as to how many will jump through the hoops which Brussels puts in their way for next year.

Maybe Alain and Vincent are already lobbying !

Re the Triumph SLR I've never understood how it is possible to ''recreate'' something which which was not previously in existence, another mystery.

I don’t understand your comment.

The 1st ever SLR built in period was the Triumph TR4. So was previously in existence.....

The 3 Morgan cars were built after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 Sep 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3850596)   #104
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a Triumph SLR running in the CSCC's Classic K series last year . Was this the original or another replica/recreation ?
Old 16 Sep 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3850609)   #105
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Exhibit A....
Mike was it just bonded ? as I can't see rivet holes in the lining.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Sep 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3850695)   #106
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not too bad at sums, but don't quite get the statistic, are you saying a significant number of Non GB drivers have UK issued licenses?

Probably just that they have uk bases as it's a tax haven
Old 16 Sep 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3850713)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See,

Could it be that withBrexit the number of entrants will reduce the to being MSA licence holders?
Personally I don't see it since international licences are supposed to cover the competing side. Perhaps it's more about the logistics.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3850743)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Mike was it just bonded ? as I can't see rivet holes in the lining.
Just bonded......

Stiggy is right Jeremy! The first SLR was mounted on a TR4 chassis, and the car still exists.....
Old 16 Sep 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3850757)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Just bonded
Cambridge Motorsports? Strange because on usual they make some kind of slots in the lining… This issue shows that we've better put at least one rivet, even if bonded with a good product.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3850759)   #110
tomboyd
Rookie

tomboyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
There was a Triumph SLR running in the CSCC's Classic K series last year . Was this the original or another replica/recreation ?
That would have been Steve Chapman in the original TR4 SLR owned by Tony, would have been in it's 'wide body' shape when it was changed in 1966
Old 16 Sep 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3850760)   #111
tomboyd
Rookie

Quote:
Just bonded......

Stiggy is right Jeremy! The first SLR was mounted on a TR4 chassis, and the car still exists.....
Massive apologies, i re registered yesterday as i lost my log in.... then on my ipad this morning, it was there in Tapatalk. So i'm Stiggy, sorry....

Your right, the original still exists. We have been involved with it for 10+ years. It was with the kind permission of Tony, the owner, that we were able to digitally scan his car and go from there......

You are also correct that the 'copy' has no period history.. It wasn't built to say it was an original one, just a accurate reproduction of the original car built in 1964.

Tom
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3850770)   #112
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom/Stiggy, the car looks lovely and makes a great addition to the grid
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3850775)   #113
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
http://www.rhclassics.co.uk/sales-re...h-slr-project/ A bit more info?
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3850783)   #114
tomboyd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, a great company. We commissioned them to build the bodyshells

Tom
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3850840)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
All four cars at Goody few years ago. The TR is second from left. Hopefully now that’s cleared up we can talk about the rest of the meeting! BTW I’m posting this while stationary at the Dartford x-ing while trying to get home from Spa. Can’t even trust the U.K. motorway network on a Sunday night....
Attached Thumbnails
ACDB50B3-E548-4717-B326-D4A6A6002291.jpeg  
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3850854)   #116
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just bonded......

They even fall off of road cars with "normal" usage so why would anyone trust a bonded one on a race car that are reaching temps far higher than going down to Sainsburys !!! in the grand scheme of things it cost sod all to put rivets in them !

Ok I will probably get a few coming on here and saying "I've used them for years without any problems"

One thing it won't happen to you again
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3850941)   #117
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a lining come of the rear brake on my Transit van. Cheap pattern parts?
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3850945)   #118
intermediate
Rookie

intermediate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR Grantura MK3 #51 got to P4, just missed the podium with 1,30sec...happy
sad
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3850948)   #119
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We (Car #57 TR4, with Colin Sharp and Richard Owen) were going well for the team's first attempt at 6hrs ... with 3 hours to go we were up to mid-60ths from 100th+ after the utterly chaotic dodgems of qualifying.

I was driving about three hours in when there was a bang on the 1st apex at Stavelot in the midst of big gaggle of assorted cars, instant rear wheel steering and knocking ... i made a snap decision not to run through Blanchimont in case we failed completely, and unable to get safely across to outside, i ended up parking it on the grass alongside the kart track ... to find that we had merely one nut holding the left rear wheel on, other studs had all sheered .... the remaining stud was bent, and the nut now loose, so the decision to park immediately was vindicated! Car seemingly otherwise undamaged and was running absolutely perfectly until that moment, there was nothing to hint at the impending demise .... issue will be investigated and hopefully we'll be back next year!

Despite the fact that many of my mates had non-finishes in many races, we all agreed that we'd had a great weekend ... clearly the addiction is bad!

Great to see so many people.

Hoping for good news on the E-Type driver ...

James
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3850951)   #120
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
.. issue will be investigated and hopefully we'll be back next year!

Despite the fact that many of my mates had non-finishes in many races, we all agreed that we'd had a great weekend ... clearly the addiction is bad!

James
Good to hear nothing serious. Yup once bitten etc.

Who was the Jaguar driver and what happened?

Quote:
All four cars at Goody few years ago. The TR is second from left. Hopefully now that’s cleared up we can talk about the rest of the meeting! BTW I’m posting this while stationary at the Dartford x-ing while trying to get home from Spa. Can’t even trust the U.K. motorway network on a Sunday night....
If I'm seeing this right,one of the cars appears longer and lower.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 17 Sep 2018 at 07:55. Reason: Talking to myself
Old 17 Sep 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3850961)   #121
tomboyd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
We (Car #57 TR4, with Colin Sharp and Richard Owen) were going well for the team's first attempt at 6hrs ... with 3 hours to go we were up to mid-60ths from 100th+ after the utterly chaotic dodgems of qualifying.

I was driving about three hours in when there was a bang on the 1st apex at Stavelot in the midst of big gaggle of assorted cars, instant rear wheel steering and knocking ... i made a snap decision not to run through Blanchimont in case we failed completely, and unable to get safely across to outside, i ended up parking it on the grass alongside the kart track ... to find that we had merely one nut holding the left rear wheel on, other studs had all sheered .... the remaining stud was bent, and the nut now loose, so the decision to park immediately was vindicated! Car seemingly otherwise undamaged and was running absolutely perfectly until that moment, there was nothing to hint at the impending demise .... issue will be investigated and hopefully we'll be back next year!

James
Terribly unlucky for you, Colin and Richard. It was superb to see it out there! By the sounds of it you made the right decision to pull off....

Simon told be about the E-Type incident, fingers crossed all is well

Tom
Old 17 Sep 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3850978)   #122
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With regard to the Triumph SLR I believe that the number plate refers to an ex-Sid Hurrell car, Sid a great exponent of TR's in his day, which also helps explain the lettering on the rear window.

IANABM! (I THINK THAT IS RIGHT)
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3850992)   #123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:

Who was the Jaguar driver and what happened?.
The last (and longest) SC period was caused by an E going off at Blanchimont. I’ve heard suggestion it was related to a wheel / hub failure, but can’t confirm. After hitting the wall very hard the car continued nearly to the Bus Stop chicane. The driver was obviously seriously injured and it took a long time for them to be extricated. After being taken to the medical centre, the driver was I believe air lifted to hospital. Don’t know which car or name though.

A serious reminder that Spa can bite.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3850996)   #124
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
SLRs-

If I'm seeing this right,one of the cars appears longer and lower.
It’s iphone distortion Peter! The Triumph is in fact several inches shorter than the mogs as the chassis is shorter. At the time that pic was taken the TR still had it’s wider ‘modsports’ arches, and as I understand it, didn’t have an HTP for that reason, the owner reluctant to revert back to original.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:54 (Ref:3851002)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
The last (and longest) SC period was caused by an E going off at Blanchimont. I’ve heard suggestion it was related to a wheel / hub failure, but can’t confirm. After hitting the wall very hard the car continued nearly to the Bus Stop chicane. The driver was obviously seriously injured and it took a long time for them to be extricated. After being taken to the medical centre, the driver was I believe air lifted to hospital. Don’t know which car or name though.

A serious reminder that Spa can bite.
Thanks Mike.

Yes indeed a serious reminder. Let's hope the driver recovers soon.