Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Oct 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3853739)   #551
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time for my annual silly season predictions - and, as usual, these will be a mix of what I think will realistically happen and what I would most love to see (mostly the latter, hence far too many new builds and too few driver changes)

And remember, these are just my personal opinions so please be kind and I already know how horribly wrong they'll be!

--

BMR -
Let's start with the cork in the bottle. There will be no BMR, nor any Subarus on the grid in 2019. I also think Ash Sutton will move on to bigger things as he has hinted in the past.

WSR - 3 cars
Jordan will depart, leaving three Team BMW cars; probably the last year of the 1 Series if BMW support continues. I think Ricky would rather pursue a GT or DTM career and Rob will retire due to his health issues, so I don't think they'll be a Collard on the grid either. Therefore I predict Turkington will continue, with Josh Cook and Tom Onslow-Cole joining the team.

New Team - 2 cars
So here's the most unlikely bit: Jason Plato and Andrew Jordan in a new build FWD car... Both have funding and rumoured to be leaving their current teams, with seemingly few other options - although I'm not sure how well they get on. Plato will still be at the back.

Dynamics - 2 cars
Car and driver line-up unchanged, though this will be Matt Neal's last year in the championship.

Eurotech - 2 cars
Driver line-up unchanged. Sounds like they'll be sticking with the FK2.

BTC Norlin - 2 cars
Car and driver line-up unchanged (hopefully Lloyd gets the budget!)

Speedworks - 2 cars
Switch to the new Coralla with Toyota manufacturer backing. Rory Butcher in a second car with Tingram.

HMS - 2 cars
Rob Austin will be joined in a second Alfa Romeo by Ant Whorton-Eales.

PMR - 2 cars
Proctor alongside Mike Epps in the Astra.

AmD - 2 cars
Jake Hill and Daniel Rowbottom in a new build car, funded by the selling of two of their TBLs and using parts from the Audis and MGs.

HARD - 3 cars
Down to three VWs with Bushell (already confirmed) joined by Thompson and Jamie Bond (the latter winning the VW Cup with HARD).

Simpson - 1 car
Matt Simpson in the Civic again, no changes here.

Ciceley / Laser - 3 cars
Car and driver line-ups unchanged. Hopefully the A-Class will get a facelift..

Motorbase / JCT600 - 3 cars
Chilton and Tordoff stay, with Max Coates replacing James Cole.

Parker - 1 car
Mat Jackson in the BMW.

--

That makes 30 cars, which is between the capacity and Gow's ideal.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3853746)   #552
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It may not affect things but interestingly I’ve heard JCT600 are losing the BMW franchise.
They only had one, small fry in JCT600 land, and they've gained Rolls-Royce.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3853748)   #553
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Very much 3+2 making eleventh. Did anybody catch Fifth Gear lately where the presenters collectively tested the updated Dacia Duster? The overall view was quite good but particularly Mr Plato was effusive in his praise for the brand and the car. Even going as far to point out a turbocharged petrol engine was coming out in 2019.
They don't really have a car that suits the BTCC ruleset. Plus he also slagged off a Nissan the week before, part of the same group.

On the flip side, Dacia and their dealers were involved in the STCC for a few years.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3853750)   #554
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
especially with works backing from Toyota
Aaah, if I were Toyota I'd been keen to push the new UK-built Corolla through the BTCC, except the current political climate means that this may have to be delayed.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3853758)   #555
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
They don't really have a car that suits the BTCC ruleset.
Would the Logan not be a suitable starting model?
Old 1 Oct 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3853829)   #556
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sounds like sutton and bmr are back again next year. this from btcc website;

Ash Sutton said: “I was happy to settle for second. That was the best race I’ve ever had and to do it with Josh (Cook) was mega. It was always the aim to go away with a win here. After race one, it was looking hard but we dug deep and I had to hunt Josh down.

“For the last god knows how many laps, I was just laughing to myself in the car. Luck wasn’t on our side this year and we had a slow start. We’ll come back stronger next year.”
Old 1 Oct 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3853848)   #557
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
sounds like sutton and bmr are back again next year. this from btcc website;

Ash Sutton said: “I was happy to settle for second. That was the best race I’ve ever had and to do it with Josh (Cook) was mega. It was always the aim to go away with a win here. After race one, it was looking hard but we dug deep and I had to hunt Josh down.

“For the last god knows how many laps, I was just laughing to myself in the car. Luck wasn’t on our side this year and we had a slow start. We’ll come back stronger next year.”

That's just a transcript of his TV interview after the race. I've seen that racing drivers often use the royal 'we' a lot lately when refering to themselves or them and their family as a unit and not always meaning the team so I wouldn't read too much into it just yet!
Old 1 Oct 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3853853)   #558
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
That's just a transcript of his TV interview after the race. I've seen that racing drivers often use the royal 'we' a lot lately when refering to themselves or them and their family as a unit and not always meaning the team so I wouldn't read too much into it just yet!
i agree. but then take the team out of the 'we' and its still sutton saying he is back next year
Old 1 Oct 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3853859)   #559
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s assuming he doesn’t get a call abroad, like Flash did
Old 1 Oct 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3853874)   #560
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://twitter.com/rolecracing/stat...836478465?s=21

Hopefully announcing Bobby for next year.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3853882)   #561
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
https://twitter.com/rolecracing/stat...836478465?s=21

Hopefully announcing Bobby for next year.
I'm afraid Rolec posts that exact same thing every other day..! Really annoying!
Old 1 Oct 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3853891)   #562
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I'm afraid Rolec posts that exact same thing every other day..! Really annoying!
Learning from Team Hard then... Almost as if their social media account is run by the same person #gamechanger
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3854069)   #563
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eurotech have sold the Civics, TBLS and the equipment to another team and will not compete in 2019.

So who is the other team? A new or existing team. Is Jason Plato starting his own team??
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3854070)   #564
Robin Marriott
Veteran

http://www.btcc.net/2018/10/02/eurot...nother-outfit/

Big news, big shame. They’ve been great with Goff and they’re a decent bunch of people too. Guess ICD must be struggling.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3854071)   #565
Redshift
Rookie

Redshift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a bolt out of the blue from Eurotech: -
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3854072)   #566
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Such a shock we’ve all posted at the same time. 😂

As suggested a few pages back I’ve renamed the thread to explicitly include rumours in the title.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3854073)   #567
Robin Marriott
Veteran

This will mean no Brett in 2019 too I suspect.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3854075)   #568
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting the wording is "another outfit" not "a new team"
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3854076)   #569
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Eurotech have sold the Civics, TBLS and the equipment to another team and will not compete in 2019.

So who is the other team? A new or existing team. Is Jason Plato starting his own team??
Existing team I believe, who in turn will be selling on some of their current cars and TBL’s to a new entrant from what I’ve heard, but some deals still to be inked.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3854077)   #570
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Andy Jordan & Jason Plato Pirtek/Tesco superteam? Have the Jordans bought their old team back?
It will all come out in the wash eventually I'm sure.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3854078)   #571
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
My waters say a man who shakes is somewhere involved?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3854079)   #572
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
#shakewithshaun
Old 2 Oct 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3854083)   #573
Robin Marriott
Veteran

HARD maybe? Down to two cars and binning the CCs off, selling TBLs and 2 cars to someone new with Plato and someone else?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3854087)   #574
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post

Big news, big shame. They’ve been great with Goff and they’re a decent bunch of people too. Guess ICD must be struggling.
Yes, seems to be down to ICD reducing their backing.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1047125728364498944

'One of our major sponsors, ICD, is unable to continue with its current level of support. '

It shows how delicate some of the budgets are in BTCC.

How many cars finished the season on loan TBLs? It would be a bit of a surprise to see an existing TBL holding team increase their allocation...
Old 2 Oct 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3854088)   #575
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a real shame. Eurotech were flying this season, and they were a nice bunch to be around. Hopefully we see them back at some point.

My initial thought for the purchasers of the TBLs was the Jordan family. JRT in the BTCC.