Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Feb 2023, 13:52 (Ref:4143797)   #1276
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2023 TBL Team Car Driver Status Jack Sears
EXCELR8-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceIngram Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceChilton Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-3Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
EXCELR8-4Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceHalsteadConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Team Dynamics-1Halfords/Cataclean?Civic?Shedden?Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Team Dynamics-2Halfords/Cataclean?Civic?Rowbottom?Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Aiden Moffat-1One Motorsport?Civic???’One’ Reported as looking to expand to four Civics ???
Aiden Moffat-2Aiden Moffat Racing???????Infiniti described as being end of life by the team???
Motorbase-1NAPA RacingFocus?SuttonConfirmed as 3-year deal in press release, talk of new build carInel.
Motorbase-2NAPA RacingFocus?CammishConfirmed as 3-year deal in press release, talk of new build carInel.
Motorbase-3MotorbaseFocus?Osborne?Talked about looking forward to next year with the teamElig.
Motorbase-4MotorbaseFocus????  
HARD.-1HARD.Cupra León Taylor-SmithConfirmed as multi-year in press releaseInel.
HARD.-2HARD.Cupra LeónThompsonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-3HARD.Cupra LeónPattersonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-4HARD.Cupra LeónLloydConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-1Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla?Butcher?Talked about wanting another year with the teamInel.
Speedworks-2Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla??????????
Speedworks-3Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla??????????
WSR-1Team BMW/Ciceley Commercials?BMW 330e M SportMorganConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-2Team BMW?BMW 330e M SportTurkingtonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-3Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M SportHillConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-4MB Motorsport?BMW 330e M SportJelleyConfirmed in press release - MB talked about a 2-car entry for 2023Inel.
PMR-1PMRVauxhall AstraHandConfirmed as multi-year in press release Elig.
PMR-2PMRVauxhall AstraWatsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
BTC-1Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic FK8MoffatConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-2 Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic FK8CookConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-3One MotorsportCivic FK8???Reported as looking to expand to four Civics???
Boardley-1??????Boardley?Has described 2022 as a sabbaticalElig.
TOCA-1Not allocated    
TOCA-2Not allocated    
TOCA-3Not allocated    
???Graves Motorsport????Max Coates? Outlined plans for an entry in 2021Elig.
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Bert Taylor Racing???????Talked about getting a TBL for 2023???
?????????Proctor?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Inel.
?????????Smelt?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
?????????Hamilton?Talked about being in a car for 2023 Inel.
???VolvoKiaT.Harvey Rumoured in threads every year, has to be true one day Inel.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4143798)   #1277
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Love the new livery as well - grey and yellow. Not sure how well it will stand out on TV though especially if its grey/raining?
I think it’ll be ok, the grey and pink BTC livery stood out well enough.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:12 (Ref:4143799)   #1278
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think 6 NGTC 330e chassis were built. 4 are accounted for at WSR for Hill, Turkington, Morgan, and Jelley. Turkington's old chassis has gone back to being a museum piece. Leaves just 1 chassis unaccounted by my reckoning? My theory was somebody like Boardley buying it and having it run by HARD alongside their 4 CUPRAs OR it gets held by WSR as a spare in case of another Oulton Park situation.
WSR brought both Ciceley BMW’s back, one for Morgan and the other as ‘spare’ so unless someone else has since purchased it or renting it off them, I think we’ll only see 4 BMW’s on the grid.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4143801)   #1279
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jack Goff “working flat out on trying to get something done”, for what it’s worth!

https://twitter.com/jgmotorsport/sta...a89bmXmT0HVZWw

Last edited by Evantra; 15 Feb 2023 at 14:35.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:38 (Ref:4143803)   #1280
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
WSR brought both Ciceley BMW’s back, one for Morgan and the other as ‘spare’ so unless someone else has since purchased it or renting it off them, I think we’ll only see 4 BMW’s on the grid.
Yes, I think 4 is the most likely result.

I wrongly neglected to mention the WSR ownership of all 5 cars in my original post. Proof one should never post without proof-reading what they've written!
Old 15 Feb 2023, 16:36 (Ref:4143812)   #1281
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Team name is a bit convoluted but that's typical BTCC! "Starline Racing by One Motorsport"

Love the new livery as well - grey and yellow. Not sure how well it will stand out on TV though especially if its grey/raining?

An interesting line in TouringCarTimes' write-up that ties into something posited on this forum by me and others a week-or-so ago regarding TBLs

"With Moffat moving over to One Motorsport, it remains to be seen what will happen to the two TOCA BTCC Licences currently in the possession of ‘Aiden Moffat Racing’, which were used for the Laser Tools Racing programme in recent years. Paddock speculation has suggested that not all 29 TBLs that were handed out by TOCA for use in 2023 will in fact be utilised."
from autosport today;

"The exit of Moffat’s team from the BTCC frees up the two TBL entrants’ licences in his possession.

Buxton confirmed to Autosport that One Motorsport is hoping to use one of these to expand its overall line-up from three Hondas to four."
Old 15 Feb 2023, 17:33 (Ref:4143817)   #1282
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
from autosport today;

"The exit of Moffat’s team from the BTCC frees up the two TBL entrants’ licences in his possession.

Buxton confirmed to Autosport that One Motorsport is hoping to use one of these to expand its overall line-up from three Hondas to four."
Yes, I think different news networks were reporting slightly different stories earlier. It would be good if they can run a 4th car and use one of those TBLs - it could possibly give someone like Edwards a shot at another season depending on sponsorship.

I would be very very surprised if we see 29 cars - TCT have suggested that not all TBLs will be used and I would imagine at least 1 of the former-Moffat TBLs going back to TOCA.

Gow must be delighted though, the grid is slowly reducing in size as he seemingly wanted a few years back.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 17:52 (Ref:4143818)   #1283
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I would be very very surprised if we see 29 cars - TCT have suggested that not all TBLs will be used and I would imagine at least 1 of the former-Moffat TBLs going back to TOCA.
Not convinced the Boardley one will get used (and if it does, probably just as a 5th Hard Cupra), but I suppose he would’ve moved it on if he wasn’t going to use it.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 18:27 (Ref:4143825)   #1284
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gow must be delighted though, the grid is slowly reducing in size as he seemingly wanted a few years back.
Hopefully the trend doesn't continue in the next few years as it did towards the end of 1990s and beginning of 2000s!
Old 15 Feb 2023, 21:12 (Ref:4143839)   #1285
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It does concern me slightly that Morgan and Moffat have effectively shut down their teams. (Moffat to a lesser extent due to cars being operated by others)

It would be healthier to have more 2 car teams than 3/4 car teams
Old 15 Feb 2023, 22:46 (Ref:4143843)   #1286
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It does concern me slightly that Morgan and Moffat have effectively shut down their teams. (Moffat to a lesser extent due to cars being operated by others)

Definitely due another new name (or two) next season. Unfortunately it seems like costs are only getting higher and higher.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 22:47 (Ref:4143844)   #1287
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post

Seems to be the way it's going at the moment, I think we'll end up with 5 or 6 teams (West Surrey, Excelr8, HARD, One, Speedworks and Motorbase) but still a full grid.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 22:50 (Ref:4143845)   #1288
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hybrid is already looking dated and possibly a costly mis-step. The way the general car market is going, committing to the current rule set until the end of 2026 is looking misguided, given the rapid expansion of full electric vehicles on the road. What only a few years ago looked like pioneering technology (hybrid) is more and more old news already.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4143854)   #1289
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is easy to forget how long some of these teams have been round, Morgan/Cicely joined in 2013 and Moffats joined in 2014, that is 9 & 8 full seasons they have competed. That is a lot for any family team - the world is a very different place compared to back then. There have been a few teams making noises about joining over the last few years, so I would expect this to finally happen either this year or next.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 09:25 (Ref:4143864)   #1290
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad to see more seats filled, good to have both Cook and Moffat back
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:10 (Ref:4143869)   #1291
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The hybrid is already looking dated and possibly a costly mis-step. The way the general car market is going, committing to the current rule set until the end of 2026 is looking misguided, given the rapid expansion of full electric vehicles on the road. What only a few years ago looked like pioneering technology (hybrid) is more and more old news already.
I do agree with your view, however what is the alternative? Full electric I think would turn off a lot of fans and the current forays into that realm haven't really been that successful (eTCR).
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:15 (Ref:4143870)   #1292
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The viewpoint of hybrid being old tech or not depends on who is assessing it - OEMs would probably agree, so it is unlikely to draw new manufacturer backing. However, it is still 'state-of-the-art' to many people outside of the automotive industry - therefore potential sponsors would see it as a positive vs being 100% ICE.
Also, the average petrol head still doesn't accept full EVs as a viable option for their own car, so as a national series the hybrid probably sits just right.

Not forgetting that 'the fans' seem to love it https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/10/btcc...recent-survey/
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4143873)   #1293
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Not forgetting that 'the fans' seem to love it https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/10/btcc...recent-survey/
Can confidently say I’ve not seen one person say they like it! It’s not terrible but I’m not sure who’s been doing that survey…
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:52 (Ref:4143875)   #1294
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AFAIK - every car (bar the FK8) from the 2022 grid had/has a hybrid model available in the showroom. None of them come in EV form.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 11:09 (Ref:4143877)   #1295
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
AFAIK - every car (bar the FK8) from the 2022 grid had/has a hybrid model available in the showroom. None of them come in EV form.
I30 & Focus are mild hybrid
Q50 & Corolla are available as regular Hybrids
BMW & Cupra have Plug-in options
Astra (the PMR gen) & Civic has no hybrid
Old 16 Feb 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4143878)   #1296
SSmith
Veteran

Media day is at Brands Hatch on 12th April

https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/16/bran...season-launch/
Old 16 Feb 2023, 11:18 (Ref:4143879)   #1297
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Can confidently say I’ve not seen one person say they like it! It’s not terrible but I’m not sure who’s been doing that survey…
Pravda or TASS
Old 16 Feb 2023, 13:02 (Ref:4143892)   #1298
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And most BMW 3 Series I see around are the 330e.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 13:32 (Ref:4143898)   #1299
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Media day is at Brands Hatch on 12th April

https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/16/bran...season-launch/
Two months away, feels like it’s been ages! Nice it’s finally been announced.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 14:35 (Ref:4143903)   #1300
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I do, I think it was a great addition.