Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Aug 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3441571)   #51
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
......Anyone got any pictures to post ?
Nick
Not from me Nick (I was time-keeping) but if you check out Croft's Facebook page I think there is one of your car (55 wasn't it) front and centre on their photos page. Link below should take you to it or you might have to page through them:

https://www.facebook.com/croftcircui...type=1&theater

Plus some paddock shots of it and Compte's Volpini as well I think.

Last edited by gary396; 5 Aug 2014 at 08:19. Reason: Additional info
Old 5 Aug 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3441648)   #52
Cobra289
Rookie

Cobra289 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
No, but the Cobra wasn't aware of the officious ogre at Tower Out waiting for him to drop a wheel in the mud. Colin was being a respectful gentleman and preserving his reputation for observing track limits.
Hi, this Cobra driver is new to this forum and to the best of his knowledge stayed off the mud at Tower all day! - unlike a brief Rallycross stint at Complex 1 on the penultimate lap - definitely not for competitive advantage though...just a good old fashioned xxxx up!
Old 5 Aug 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3441698)   #53
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to tenths, both of you handled those tricky conditions well, it was good entertainment. Thanks
Old 6 Aug 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3441845)   #54
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Beany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great track, I'm going again. Definitely worth the 8 hour drive.

Race 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7C...ature=youtu.be

Race 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1wbUMPMAk
Old 6 Aug 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3441852)   #55
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow ! Great traction in the wet ! You have got that VW pretty well sorted - pity about the excursion into the greenery in Race 2.
I watched your race 2 from the banking overlooking Sunny Out, a really interesting race.
Nick
Old 6 Aug 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3441859)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
What happened in race 2. Awsum start race 1.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3441976)   #57
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
What happened in race 2. Awsum start race 1.
Rear engined cars definitely work better off the line (wet or dry) and I clearly had more traction than Bobs Anglia in race 1, which on a dry track would leave me for dead....(even though my tyres are now 8 years old!)

In race 2 I wasted what could have been another good start by going left instead of right which cost me a place or two, then going into Tower corner the throttle jammed wide open and I had to shut it off. I fitted a new throttle linkage a couple of days earlier and the cable conduit could do with being relocated.

These onboards are a great learning tool and you can see exactly where you are going wrong....I need to use the throttle more progressively rather than stomping on it and I was using WAY TOO MUCH lock on the steering (need to straighten the wheel and use the power to bring the rear round) Also before the Oulton Park Gold Cup I need to sort the pedals, so I can heal & toe (the downshifts in race 1 were terrible)
Old 6 Aug 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3442023)   #58
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Rear engined cars definitely work better off the line (wet or dry) and I clearly had more traction than Bobs Anglia in race 1, which on a dry track would leave me for dead....(even though my tyres are now 8 years old!)

In race 2 I wasted what could have been another good start by going left instead of right which cost me a place or two, then going into Tower corner the throttle jammed wide open and I had to shut it off. I fitted a new throttle linkage a couple of days earlier and the cable conduit could do with being relocated.

These onboards are a great learning tool and you can see exactly where you are going wrong....I need to use the throttle more progressively rather than stomping on it and I was using WAY TOO MUCH lock on the steering (need to straighten the wheel and use the power to bring the rear round) Also before the Oulton Park Gold Cup I need to sort the pedals, so I can heal & toe (the downshifts in race 1 were terrible)
Leave your driving as is Beany . It's great to watch .
Old 6 Aug 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3442069)   #59
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great videos, Ian. Keep them coming. Shame about race 2.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3442225)   #60
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great meeting and the Croft circuit owners deserve praise for the effort that goes in to this event.
I arrived Friday evening and after setting up and connecting to one of the hundreds of hookups powered by temporary generators provided by the circuit (please note MSV, Silverstone and others) off I went to the marquee for a quick pint and a listen to some great 50s and 60s music. It rained on and off during Saturday - usually when I had to be outside, such as for practice, just before the first race (torrential downpour which caused the HSCC to call off the Formula Fords and put the Historic Touring Cars on before them - well, we do have roofs) and then just as we arrived back from the pu ....er, restaurant in the evening. However, the sun was out on Sunday early, then the clouds but no rain, then the sun again for the afternoon and the racing was great. Unfortunately some of the grids were on the sparse side and I wonder if it was because the Silverstone Classic had only been 1 week before. This meeting really deserves the support of competitors.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3442302)   #61
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Shame about Saturdays weather as it must have hurt the gate numbers, but even though it was my first time at Croft, I'm converted. The circuit clearly put a lot of effort into the weekend and it showed...Well done Croft!

From a drivers point of view i'd say the track is up there with Oulton and Cadwell for shear enjoyment...but bugger me I couldn't find the right gear for I would say half the corners....2nd too low, nope 3rd's too tall...hairpin 1st is too low, dang 2nds too tall.

Need to build a special Croft Gearbox.