Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3357508)   #51
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JR as a competitor you are absolutely correct as its all about £/minute and HSCC International meeting in May and Classic are on the same track. But to the spectator the Classic does give you more, the Group C cars and F1 cars as well as the side shows. For that there is corrcetly a premium.
Goodwood 72 meeting unlike the Revival has an entry fee so it will be interesting to see how the meeting differs.. weather for one and as a closed meeting I guess less watching.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3357533)   #52
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Given that 80,000 visitors went to see a load of cars stationary in Solihull last week, the fact that they are "pootling" will still be a huge draw. Even at half chat, the sight and sound of a racing car is something to behold and for those of us not lucky enough to have seen them in their prime it is so, so much better than seeing them stuck in an exhibition hall.

For me the beauty of the Classic is the informality. Wander round the paddock and there's a Group C Jaguar here, a March tea tray there, all the while you're rubbing shoulders with Lotus Cortinas et al. No extra charge, no barriers to entry, you're "there", almost part of the racing team. It might be a pain for the Deltas and JRs of this world trying to work amongst the throng but to us ordinary Joes it's just wonderful.

I've never been to the Revival but it really doesn't float my boat. I dislike the pantomime and the dressing up, I dislike the fact that you can't access the paddock without the right pass and/or unless you're in the right fancy dress.

As for the racing, TBQH I went to the Classic for the first time last year without a stand to run, and I saw even less racing than I have in previous years when a few snatched minutes on the banking had to suffice! The sights, sounds and smells of being close up to racing cars and people in the paddocks were pretty special.

That said, the price is atrocious. One friend in particular has pointed out that the camping fees have rocketed this year since the outskirts of the circuit have been sold off. Rip off Britain.
My views as well, nice post.

btw...as a car club friend books our 3 day passes on a 2 for 1 deal it actually costs me more for the camping than the event.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3357564)   #53
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a look

Main day is 50 odd quid

45 for Sunday and about 30 for Friday

I mean 3o quid for practice? I would hope all the facilities are there aswell, they usually arent on practice days.

Not bad I spose, but seriously if you are paying a gradn entry fee fella, I would look at another sport, that can get you a years racing other things I am afraid,
Old 23 Jan 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3357567)   #54
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Just had a look

Main day is 50 odd quid

45 for Sunday and about 30 for Friday

I mean 3o quid for practice? I would hope all the facilities are there aswell, they usually arent on practice days.

Not bad I spose, but seriously if you are paying a gradn entry fee fella, I would look at another sport, that can get you a years racing other things I am afraid,
What would you pay to see F1 at Silverstone or go to the Goodwood Revival and not be able to go to half the places you can at this meeting? My mates tell me they pay £50 to watch a load of thugs kick a plastic ball around a field and that's only for a couple of hours.
So although it isn't cheap by usual racing standards It's still not too bad if this is what floats your boat and if you are a bit canny you an find discounts out there, I think I managed to get free or half price tickets a couple of years ago.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3357578)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
if you are paying a grand entry fee fella, I would look at another sport, that can get you a years racing other things I am afraid,
Why? If you can afford it, do it! Top level historic racing is not cheap for competitors and the Classic ranks near the top. Whether it is value for money is another matter. Personally, I would say not. However, the grids will be full or as near as, the public will flock in, car clubs will jam up all the local roads queuing to display their cars, the toilets will struggle to cope, security guards will remain po-faced all weekend, and it will probably rain at some point!

And I will most likely be there.

Old 23 Jan 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3357590)   #56
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget to pre-arrange a mortgage for a cup of coffee and a cheese roll!
Old 23 Jan 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3357639)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Don't forget to pre-arrange a mortgage for a cup of coffee and a cheese roll!
I take a packed lunch...... Several!
Old 23 Jan 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3357674)   #58
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>I mean 3o quid for practice? I would hope all the facilities are there aswell, they usually arent on practice days.

Yes they are. It's a 3-day Festival with everything going on all 3 days. £30 is good value, there's actually more track action sometimes even if they aren't actually "racing". And several cars break in practice so it's the only time you see them all weekend

PS I must have got out of bed the wrong side this morning. The price isn't "atrocious", that's unfair. It *is* on the top side but you can be on site from 0730 to 2300 so there's lots of value there.

I'm a great fan of the classic, as you may have noticed over the years! It's changed recently so it's not a viable exercise for me to attend as an exhibitor, but that doesn't make it "wrong" just "different".
Old 23 Jan 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3357704)   #59
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a marshal, I have always found The Classic to be one of the best meetings there is. Unfortunately, in recent years, it has clashed with the best meeting there is, Spa 24hrs, but I'm hoping , one day, to be able to go to both again.
I've always found Friday a very good day, as you get to see all the cars and, as the weekend progresses, more and more are lost to breakdowns and accidents.
Remember the year when a 917 was entered. I got as far as Brooklands on the Friday before mechanical failure. Spent the rest of the weekend under wraps.
I remember fondly standing beside the Wellington straight, listening to a "Queen" tribute band doing their sound checks and watching Group C.
As good as it gets!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3357734)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting points, maybe if you go to football top league, you can expect often to see the best players playing well.

ig you go to the Classic you will see a bit of that, but mostly the cars you adore going a bit quick, some very well driven and some more plodding.

Now I appreciate this is likely, just a bit of a shame.

My point about Friday is that I hvae been to several meetings there and staffing levels were far lower, trade stands closed etc. Thats all, therefore you should expect a far lower entry, not still the cost of getting into BSB or BTCC!!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3357805)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Interesting points, maybe if you go to football top league, you can expect often to see the best players playing well.

if you go to the Classic you will see a bit of that, but mostly the cars you adore going a bit quick, some very well driven and some more plodding.

Now I appreciate this is likely, just a bit of a shame.

My point about Friday is that I hvae been to several meetings there and staffing levels were far lower, trade stands closed etc. Thats all, therefore you should expect a far lower entry, not still the cost of getting into BSB or BTCC!!
First, I doubt if the event will be deemed a failure if you don't turn up. (No offence meant. )

Second, set up day for preparers is WEDNESDAY. Thursday is testing and will see arrival of other race cars, Friday is qualifying. I don't get much time for wandering round trade area / funfair etc but from what am told everything is up and running that day.

And we will have to agree to differ over your first point. (Man United came to mind!) I would suggest you are more likely to find the 'plodders' as you call them at Revival than Classic. Most if not all at the latter are regular historic competitors. The only time I have been guilty of giving less than the car was capable of was last year- in the torrential rain, in a car insured for £300K, that wasn't mine, that wasn't insured, had no demisting and a plastic windscreen that makes use of wiper a no-no! I really felt it would be best to hand over to the owner at driver change with car still same shape as it started race.....
Old 24 Jan 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3357829)   #62
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amen to that Mike! And TBQH I doubt if Mr Chunder would have been out in the downpour to see you plodding anyway

Yes the trade stands ARE open on the Friday, it costs so much to exhibit that you really need to squeeze every last drop out of your investment. Also you are not allowed to just rock up for the weekend, although a friend of mine did such bad trade one year that he actually went home on Saturday lunchtime so you missed him on the premium days!

Please don't pre-judge on experiences of other meetings. This is genuinely a 3 day festival with everything working all three days.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3357877)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Can you have a plastic window screen in a race for road going GT cars.

Another point is that Friday at Silverstone is a good day to visit.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3357890)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

Another point is that Friday at Silverstone is a good day to visit.
no but I guess its not the most heinous of crimes... probably best not to advertise it though!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3357902)   #65
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sorry, too expensive for me.

I went to Coys and enjoyed that and the first few Classics before the music stuff started.

really enjoyed them, club atmosphere.

I do appreciate the value of cars, but just makes it annoying that I didnt see them in their prime, only driven carefully now, and that isnt worth paying for I am afraid.

I got my fill of this stuff at teh CER events at Silverstone, open paddock still, friendly chaps and you never knoew what was oging to be in there.

But that seems to have disappeared aswell now
Old 24 Jan 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3357979)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes you can! Simon, read your App K, John, you're retired.... FIA allow if laminated screen is not available (waiver) and Blue Book just says 'if windscreen is glass it must be laminated'.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3357991)   #67
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I was asking.

Why no laminated screens for Mogs I thought AVK's had one.

Retired,most people on here are from proper jobs .
Old 24 Jan 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3357993)   #68
stevemorse
Rookie

stevemorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before I write,just want to say don't want to get in an argument with anybody.We are all entitled to our own opinions.
For my son and I the classic as been a highlight of our racing year for the past seven years.First for one day,then two now all three with the camping.
I love the cars it attracts,racing and the freedom of movement for the spectator(I know not so much for the teams/drivers)
I do miss vintage race,but get my fix on a smaller scale at Castle Combe Autumn Classic.
I have not been to Goodwood looks a bit enlitest to me,could be wrong.
Tickets ordered so looking forward to it already.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3357997)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

You won't get an argument from me Steve. My views exactly!

Welcome to Tenths by the way.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3357998)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Why no laminated screens for Mogs I thought AVK's had one.
Maybe, but the 3 bodies and screen apertures are all different, despite looking similar. It would be possible to have a one off laminated screen made (someone suggested £2K I believe), but FIA waiver is cheaper...... (And before you ask, that decision is nothing to do with me!)

Steve, welcome to the forum. Enjoy the Classic!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3358005)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Sorry, too expensive for me.
Which is what it comes down to. Too expensive for some doesn't make it a bad event.

Coys has gone, CER no longer visit these shores, and I think you will find GpC only at the Classic, their other rounds all in Europe.

Oh, and from my viewpoint, a lot of historic cars are being driven far from carefully!

Old 24 Jan 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3358091)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Indeed

Will simply spend my money elsewhere sadly.

And also sadly I know a few folk who saw some footage from last years meeting, found out about the vent, saw it was a bit dear and simply said no.

But as you say, plenty will turn up, so nothing will change.

And to the new guy, dont worry about arguing, as long as it doesnt get silly, this is what a forum is for.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3358304)   #73
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you will find GpC only at the Classic, their other rounds all in Europe.
We've had Grp C at the Donington Historic Festival for the past two years at least.

It's good fun doing their rolling starts in a Mazda 6 you need to lean on it a bit to get the right average lap speed.

Last edited by Chigley; 25 Jan 2014 at 01:15. Reason: Addition
Old 25 Jan 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3358347)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
We've had Grp C at the Donington Historic Festival for the past two years at least.

It's good fun doing their rolling starts in a Mazda 6 you need to lean on it a bit to get the right average lap speed.

Don't think you will have any problem this year, as according to the GpC Racing calendar they are at Spa Classic in May, not Donington.......

Mazda 6?
Old 25 Jan 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3358374)   #75
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chunder,i just came across this on faceache,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...20783229_n.jpg

Seemed quite relevent!