Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1180207)   #26
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
5 times cheaper? can you tell me alfa's budget for example?
No. But a big manifacturer has estimated the cost for 6 cars and 3 teams in WTCC to be Eur 12 millions.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1180215)   #27
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thank you

but i dont think DTM budgets are higher than ~20-30mil € per Manufacturer (8 cars)
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1180217)   #28
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
thank you

but i dont think DTM budgets are higher than ~20-30mil € per Manufacturer (8 cars)
They're slightly more than that. Plus you have to add the project and development of a new car.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1180248)   #29
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zytek vs Audi... in DTM

Rover/MG is entering DTM in 2005. And it seems like Zytek is their technical partner for the project, having been working on a touring car project since September. Zytek can now design chassis since it has bought some of the Reynard remains. A DTM car is not too far away from an LMP nowadays, with a Panoz-styled front diffuser, a carbon body and more winglets than on a F1. And of course the rules ask for a restricted 4 liter V8... which Zytek already has. Paint them in X-Power colors and we'll see what they can do against Audi there.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1180257)   #30
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITR themselves are reported to be funding the design and build of the cars, although they will be entered as factory MG Rovers.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1180331)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrio
I do not believe this project is for real. MG is being sold, the new owners have not walked in yet and they also have to digest Sang Yong. DTM costs an awful lot of money and is basically directed at the german market only, while WTCC promotes vehicles in the whole world and is at least 5 times cheaper. It doesn't make much sense...Plus, MG is not earning money...
I totally agree! It would make much more sense to enter some factory supported cars in WTCC and hire out some cars to privateers in STCC, DPM and/or BTCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
ITR themselves are reported to be funding the design and build of the cars, although they will be entered as factory MG Rovers.
You mean Mercedes is funding the project...

I would choose drivers who have DTM experience (i.e. Dumbreck, Scheider and Bleekemolen) because we have seen the results of Biela, Pirro, etcetera at Audi.

And again some British influence in DTM and still no race in Brittain....

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Dec 2004 at 17:42.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1180370)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
So it all becomes clear. ITR are so desperate to prevent the DTM collapsing that they will fund a DTM project for another company!

I don't think its any coincidence that MG/Rover are he ones reportedly badging the car. Afterall would you really expect Alfa, Ford or whoever let another manufactuer build their entry into DTM. I can't see MG/Rover providing much funding as they need every penny they have to build the new, much needed, Rover 45 replacement.

This situation brings even more doubt about the future of the DTM. It is quite obvious that no other manufactuers want to enter, especially with the launch of the more cost effective WTCC.

Reminds me of V8 Star, and look what happened to that!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1180379)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
So it all becomes clear. ITR are so desperate to prevent the DTM collapsing that they will fund a DTM project for another company!

I don't think its any coincidence that MG/Rover are he ones reportedly badging the car. Afterall would you really expect Alfa, Ford or whoever let another manufactuer build their entry into DTM. I can't see MG/Rover providing much funding as they need every penny they have to build the new, much needed, Rover 45 replacement.
In 2000 Mercedes payed the entry fee for Opel.
If ITR (= Mercedes ) is really paying the development of the 4th manufacturer is makes more sense they do it for a small manufacterer (which is not a real concurrent) like MG-Rover. I don't think they are willing to do it with Ford or Alfa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Reminds me of V8 Star, and look what happened to that!
V8 Star collapsed because of bad management.

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Dec 2004 at 18:29.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1180411)   #34
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I don't give Zytek any chance in DTM.

BTW I think this discussion belongs to this topic in touring car section.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1180494)   #35
Peter 1025
Rookie

Peter 1025 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Rover is not being sold to the Chinese, A new Joint venture company is being formed. This company will be 70% owned by the Chinese & 30% by MG Rover. MG Rover will still own longbridge & SAIC will own all of their existing plants, there is no crossover

As Johan says at this moment it is still speculation they will be in DTM but it certainly looks that way at moment. Hopefully they are not there to make up the numbers but to be up with the leaders
Old 15 Dec 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1180653)   #36
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is odd.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1180667)   #37
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems its on the MG rover fourms aswell .... i hope it goes through some great news if its true . but maybe with DTM looking at china earlier this year maybe it caught the eye of SAIC and they want to do something ??? as i said i hope it works out.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 00:53 (Ref:1180671)   #38
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a possible China round (in 2006?) does have something to do with it. A quick look at the DTM 2005 thread shows they are slowly moving out of being a solely German series. Give it another season and the DTM will be a European series in all but name.

The other angle is maybe this is seen as a better option for Rover/MG marketing wise. Afterall, beating Audi and Mercedes is surely better kudos than beating a rebadged Daewoo or Seat?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:01 (Ref:1180889)   #39
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see it happening myself but if it does surely they will be running round at the back for at least two seasons which will less than impress SAIC.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1180898)   #40
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that would be expect for two seasons not to be at the front ...... 1 at the back learning the car adapting it .... 2 getting mid field and more adaptation ...... and then their 3rd wins and podiums should be coming ..... depends how much money and how well they can adapt to the rules.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1180905)   #41
toot toot
Racer

I honestly can't see that happening in their third season. And they don't have enough money to invest that will attract any real quality drivers that are in the class of Ektsrom and Paffett. Much as i would like to see them succeed if indeed they actually enter i think i am just being realistic in thinking that they won't be able to compete with Mercedes and Audis money, experience, and drivers.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1180912)   #42
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
true but one never knows this SAIC which is in joint holdings with MG rover has ALOT of money as i said depends on the teams budget if they enter, but id imagine Reidy would be there, just have to see what happens.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1180921)   #43
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Afterall would you really expect Alfa, Ford or whoever let another manufactuer build their entry into DTM. !
Alfa and Ford have got better things to do than build their own racing cars. They outsource too.

The majority of touring cars are bult by third parties. DTM, and even WTCC/BTCC, are dominated by teams who build cars for manufacturers.

The MG BTCC cars were built by WSR. In 2004 they ran them without works support, but i'm sure if another manufacturer had knocked on WSRs door, much of the know how from the 'MG' would have appeared in another shape or form.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1180972)   #44
toot toot
Racer

Despite my previous posts doubting MG's involvement, i now think they will join DTM due a source close to Zytek informing me that they are working on a major touring car project on behalf of MG!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1181095)   #45
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
well with it now on the DTM website about a 4th manufacture and the fact MG will be realising infomation today, so i just hope i havent added 1 + 1 and get 3 :P
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1181102)   #46
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very careful about this news. At this time DTM only says that their comes a fourth manufacturer. The name MG/Rover comes from the yellow press. The same newspaper wrote that JCW and Minassian are driving for Zytek because they race for Zytek in 2004
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1181299)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Certainly seems to be a TC thread. I'll send it there and let the mod merge as necessary.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1181347)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
Alfa and Ford have got better things to do than build their own racing cars. They outsource too.

The majority of touring cars are bult by third parties. DTM, and even WTCC/BTCC, are dominated by teams who build cars for manufacturers.

The MG BTCC cars were built by WSR. In 2004 they ran them without works support, but i'm sure if another manufacturer had knocked on WSRs door, much of the know how from the 'MG' would have appeared in another shape or form.
But this is not outsourcing, ITR themselves are paying for a car to be built.

They really are desperate to attract new manufactuers.

A generic chassis is basically being handed over to MG for them to badge.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Dec 2004 at 20:12.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1181418)   #49
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
In 2000 Mercedes payed the entry fee for Opel.
If ITR (= Mercedes ) is really paying the development of the 4th manufacturer is makes more sense they do it for a small manufacterer (which is not a real concurrent) like MG-Rover. I don't think they are willing to do it with Ford or Alfa.
Why would MB pay Opel's entry fee? 'Cause they had to find someone to beat? Who paid for Abt's TT-R entries? Audi? OTOH, if MB paid for Opel, why not Ford or Alfa? I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be Rover and not Toyota!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1181433)   #50
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's probably a project MG have dreamt of for a while - when ITR, and I'm assuming this, came knocking at their door saying "we will fund the design and build of cars if you put your name to it and fund some of it" I'm sure the bosses couldn't have got their pens out their pockets quick enough to sign!

DTM is a very big championship with a lot of kudos - probably the most in any Touring Car series in the world, and what about the possibility of a return to the UK ?