Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Oct 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3583843)   #126
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>>>>>David stopped racing the Midget when he realised he couldn't get in with all the safety gear on!!!

Not David, that was ME!!!!!!!

He is petite enough to get behind the wheel. I am too tall to get the required angle on the seat belts, I struggle to get 2" below the roll bar, and with my pelvis up against the door bar I am a living contravention of all MSA safety regulations.

So yes, ever-tightening racing protective regulations are indeed causing people to give up motor sport as I have postulated on other threads ad nauseum.

Sold the car and won't be getting another one. I go running where more people die annually of heart attacks than of BSF in motor sport, yet there are no medicals, no licences and no checks that my footwear bears the correct safety symbols.

It's a funny old world.
Old 22 Oct 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3584736)   #127
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think the MSA are getting paranoid about safety. It is certainly driving people away who have been competing all their life. I have friends who are stage rally competitors. They now pick and choose their events and just do the 2 or 3 they really like. the fact they they have to keep buying new seats, belts, helmets and now HANS when the ones they have already have barely been used has called them to call it a day.
These days I do the odd race and a couple of speed events per year. This year I had to get a new helmet, my old one is in perfect condition. I got that in March and 2 months later the HANS rule came in and my helmet does not take them and I suspect my year old belts wouldn't fit a HANS either. For my car I don't need the HANS until 2017 but as I am now a pensioner I cannot justify the continued drain on finances for a few events per year. Hence the car will be sold and I will sadly retire from taking part.
Old 22 Oct 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3584787)   #128
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange thing is that in modern cars the HANS is pretty comfortable, although , depending on the car or seat, if the "wings"are large ish, it can get hooked up.Thus impeding a rapid driver swap.we often swear about the xxxxxxx things..