Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4030402)   #121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we may be confusing insurances.

The insurance we need for the carnet, which is provided by the chambers of commerce, is to cover customs costs if we breach the carnet requirements. So, as I understand it, you have a bond or an insurance.

To get around the carnet, if your car is road registered you can insure it as a road car and take the green card.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4030403)   #122
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CSCC double header (inc a race in each direction) at Knockhill in May is looking far more likely than Spa in June!
I don’t think we need Carnets for Scotland......yet.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4030413)   #123
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to think that this will be a bit of a storm in a teacup but and here's the catch if you are the one stopped without the right documents then I would guess you either won't go to Europe to race or if its on the way back then I assume a hefty fine if not seizure of the goods ?
Personally I just would not be prepared to risk it and it sounds like Euro events will cost an additional £500/£700 but the upside is that the Carnet can be used for multiple trips
Old 21 Jan 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4030416)   #124
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm happy with the service and level of cover, I'm sure they'll be on top of this situation.
If you're happy with a long term supplier there's absolutely no reason to change. La fidélité en affaires est une bonne chose. On sait ce que l'on quitte mais pas ce que l'on va trouver. Right? We have the same point of view I think.
I put Reis address in my records, thanks.
"J'vais le renvoyer tout droit à la maison mère, le gugusse de Montauban, au terminus des prétentieux! Moi quand on m'en fait trop, j'correctionne plus, j'dynamite, j'disperse et j'ventile." M. Audiard.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 10:32 (Ref:4030418)   #125
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
I tend to think that this will be a bit of a storm in a teacup but and here's the catch if you are the one stopped without the right documents then I would guess you either won't go to Europe to race or if its on the way back then I assume a hefty fine if not seizure of the goods ?
Personally I just would not be prepared to risk it and it sounds like Euro events will cost an additional £500/£700 but the upside is that the Carnet can be used for multiple trips
I think you are probably right, Nigel, and things will settle down in time. The regular European racer will probably just be able to absorb it and one carnet will cover a season, but for the many club racers who just do one event a year at, say, Spa, Zandvoort or Croix an additional £500-700 on top will be the difference between going to Europe and not.

Let’s face it, an increasing number of club series had one overseas event a year in their calendar and for many it was the highlight of the year. That may end up stopping for many. A shame but c’est la vie, as they say in Peckham.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4030428)   #126
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The CSCC double header (inc a race in each direction) at Knockhill in May is looking far more likely than Spa in June!
I don’t think we need Carnets for Scotland......yet.

It always was for us! Spa's a nice idea but costs as much to do as the rest of the season for us.

I'm with those who think the difficulties will be minor. I can remember when we rallied in Europe - Sweden, Belgium, Germany - when despite being members of the Common Market we still had to have carnets for the rally car, service barge contents etc, there was very little by way of checks - at a border you just handed a sheet of paper to a very bored official and went on your way. Coming back- I remember giving the final carnet sheet to a customs guy in Dover who as I walked towards him said "That you finished now lads?" and as I said "yes" he just took the sheet without a glance and waved us on our way.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4030696)   #127
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post
Right...
COVID test translated to English. Straight through customs.
Didn’t ask where I had been, what I had been doing, why the Cobra was in the trailer, who’s it was, what was the value, why did I have spare wheels in the van. Nobody gave a flying **** throughout the whole trip.
Make of that what you will guys
A.
Delighted it worked for you Andy.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4030796)   #128
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi.
Off to France again next week to collect two cars that we are running this year for a guy and his son. So cars going out of France into the UK for the whole year.
Round 2 game on !

A
Old 23 Jan 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4030801)   #129
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least you found people who know where to find many good and different places to race, good ambiance and competitive friends/ cars. Two is better than none. If the custom officers are not on strike, you should not be bothered. Have fun and keep safe.
"J'vais le renvoyer tout droit à la maison mère, le gugusse de Montauban, au terminus des prétentieux! Moi quand on m'en fait trop, j'correctionne plus, j'dynamite, j'disperse et j'ventile." M. Audiard.
Old 24 Jan 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4030948)   #130
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Safe journey Andy. One of my karting friends has just done a similar trip to Italy and says the shuttle terminal was heaving - no social distancing at all. Take care.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Feb 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4032869)   #131
Newall Andy
Rookie

Euro storm part 2.
Commences 07.30 hours with a COVID test at East Mids Airport services, free of charge of course, curtesy of our brave leader Boris.
Mission: collect two euro based cars and return to Gelscoe HQ Diseworth with minimal casualties.
Will keep you informed.

Andy.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4032870)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
👍
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4032982)   #133
Newall Andy
Rookie

Ok so.
Covid test and passport checked... straight on the train.
No questions no inspections. Customs guys everywhere but not interested in the slightest.
Phase 1 complete.

A
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4032985)   #134
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you've taken a packed lunch - eat it quick!

Safe journeys
Old 2 Feb 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4033032)   #135
Newall Andy
Rookie

It was turkey not ham and cheese.