Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jul 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2931706)   #1
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Ultimate 6 hours car (for me) The Cheetah

Do these have fia papers. Raced a hell of alot pre-66 in the US at states of high end events, so presumably International level ones.

One of my Fav all time cars (others being Chapparal (+other Can-am'ers)- i.e. Its MENTAL.

Packed Monster 377 race Chevy's (eek).

You sat pretty much on the diff (no prop in the originals and even in some preproductions they are only a few inched long (just like my Griff!!)).

Must have been truly Bonkers.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2931892)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can think of several V8 engined cars presently running that look just as ridiculous,Corvette,Cobras,is there much of a difference?
Old 27 Jul 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2931896)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it's ineligible for THE 6 hours, not having 4 seats - or did you mean the funny foreign one where all the hooky cars go?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2932003)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that just because they raced in the US doesn't represent 'international' status,unless there is also proof of competing outside of the US.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2932027)   #5
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Forget I mentioned the 6 hours (just throughing it out there - my views on all this fia crap are well know) - but I am pretty sure it will have been in International events as in so many big races from about 63-65.

Anyway I just happen to think it is one of the Baddest cars ever.

that would be about 6.2 litres of Full race Chevy in some in smaller than aa Griff and alot lighter! Eeek. 1700lbs and well over 500bhp!

http://www.corvettes.nl/other_specia...tah/index.html
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2932031)   #6
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
This is a fantastic read.

http://www.65cheetahccc.com/links/hotrod.pdf
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2932070)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Apt name for a 6 hour car
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2932074)   #8
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Apt name for a 6 hour car
but if there factory had not burned down theyed have been in full scale production.

Noth of 500bhp and 1500lb's with a 90" wheelbase. Has to be good. 5.5" longer than a Griff with way more period power and way less weight.

If money no object I have a replica of one of these. The front of the heads are 25" behind the front wheel centre line!!!! No Prop.

Lovely Loverly Loverly.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2932122)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
If money no object I have a replica of one of these. The front of the heads are 25" behind the front wheel centre line!!!! No Prop.

Lovely Loverly Loverly.
Where would you race it? The only series I could see accepting it would be the SRGTC.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2932131)   #10
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Where would you race it? The only series I could see accepting it would be the SRGTC.
I'll have a word with Colin

Griff is close enough.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2932339)   #11
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have seen 2 of theese racing over here in the UK in the last 5 years I think in the old collonade series as was??

Or am I getting mixed up with a very similar looking car.

N.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2932344)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
I have seen 2 of theese racing over here in the UK in the last 5 years I think in the old collonade series as was??

Or am I getting mixed up with a very similar looking car.

N.
Possibly a Holden engined Milano GT? Have seen one racing with HSCC in HRS on occasions.

Think have seen red and black Milano racing in UK.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 29 Jul 2011 at 06:52. Reason: Addition
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2932492)   #13
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe I'm getting old (OK, I am getting old), but I can't help thinking that the Cheetah is one car I would not want to have an accident in.

As for what happens if the diff explodes, well, it brings tears to the eyes...

Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2932514)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It certainly is different .... and as Jon, says, mad. Presumably those wheels protruding beyond the arches would not be acceptable in racing now. Can't help thinking the car would look more at home on a dragstrip than a circuit, but sure would like to see and hear one in action!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2932560)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I'll have a word with Colin

Griff is close enough.
As long as it isn't on the agenda at the AGM, I was ready to slit my wrists after 3 hours of TRs at the last one.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2932849)   #16
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Possibly a Holden engined Milano GT? Have seen one racing with HSCC in HRS on occasions.

Think have seen red and black Milano racing in UK.
yep you are correct. 2 Milano's I have definitely seen racing, Very similar cars to look at without being as extreme perhaps.
N.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2932905)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Very similar cars to look at without being as extreme perhaps.
N.
And all the better for it imho The black car was said to have 225bhp on triple SUs. Believe there is a yellow one for sale in Aus with 300bhp.

Perhaps the Milano is the AppK version of the Cheetah- or thinking about it perhaps it's the other way round
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2932908)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thought one was Australian and the other American?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2932911)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Thought one was Australian and the other American?
Correct! Apologies Terence, was in jest
Old 31 Jul 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2933905)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Correct! Apologies Terence, was in jest
Oh,Really?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2934502)   #21
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it would be acceptable for the 6 hours, there is one ''real '' one in the US which has an HTP as a GTP.
I believe the others have failed to satisfy the powers that they ran as they are today-mainly with discs.
As for the reality of running it for 6 hours-6 minutes would be nearer I suspect.They are not very nice and unbelievably hot, plus the brakes do go off.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2934558)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
Yes it would be acceptable for the 6 hours,

If I didn't know any better,I would have thought that to be a little 'Tongue in Cheek' Jeremy.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2934583)   #23
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
Yes it would be acceptable for the 6 hours, there is one ''real '' one in the US which has an HTP as a GTP.
I believe the others have failed to satisfy the powers that they ran as they are today-mainly with discs.
As for the reality of running it for 6 hours-6 minutes would be nearer I suspect.They are not very nice and unbelievably hot, plus the brakes do go off.
yes - When first raced the heat in the cockpit was apparently too much for most drivers and this led to one owner/team cutting off the roof of their car and racing it as a roadster. The car was known as the Cro-Sal special ( will double check the spelling, but think that it is right) and was basically a Cheetah roadster, and IMO looked even better that the coupe.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2934874)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THe black MIlano raced at Woodgood a few years back, and belonged to a friend, problem with using them here is waiting for engine parts . . . even if you have good Aus connections.

I'm not aware they have anything in common whatsoever with a cheetah, The Milano's a pretty good car by all accounts
Old 2 Aug 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2934903)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'm not aware they have anything in common whatsoever with a cheetah
Except looking a bit like it's slightly weedy cousin.......

Remember having a good look at the red one at Snet a few years ago and liking what I saw, especially size of main chassis tubes!