Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 May 2003, 14:09 (Ref:607881)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sportscar entymology - anorak?

What does TGF stand for? Oh, wait, wrong forum. (plus I know that one already)

I recently was called an anorak by a couple of drivers (not to my face, mind - but I was told that it was to be taken as a compliment).

What does it mean, and how did the use of this word come to mean it?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 May 2003, 15:02 (Ref:607949)   #2
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it came about as ageneral description for people who are willing to stand around wrapped in their anoraks in any kind of weather to study or support their interests, no matter how obscure or pointless those interests may appear to others.
I've a cousin who is a trainspotter and the term anorak absolutely delights him as it is also used to describe someone who is very knowledgable on a subject (usually by those that are not)
Something like that anyway!

Last edited by Cobra; 23 May 2003 at 15:02.
Old 23 May 2003, 15:02 (Ref:607951)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the term originally comes from the rally fan ranks in England. I think it refers to the hardcore loyal fans that brave the cold weather in Wales in the early morning to catch a glimpse of their favorite driver blasting through the forests on the British Rally. Naturally, as the weather dictates, they are wearing heavy, weather proof coats called anoraks.

Do I have this right Brits?
Never forget #99
Old 23 May 2003, 15:10 (Ref:607961)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Yep!
Old 23 May 2003, 15:56 (Ref:608030)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok, so it's a crossover from rallying.

I guess, given the weather sportscars regularly run in (given that the weather target is suitably long, unlike sprint races which can - in theory, anyway - wait out the foul elements) that it's a natural for this term to be applied.

I'm just picturing Speed Tribe, now... Especially that lass who's picking her way around a puddle . Mmmmm, racing.

Hey Graham, how about a suitably orange pullover?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 May 2003, 22:02 (Ref:608338)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I've even got an "anoraks" page on my website!
Old 23 May 2003, 22:03 (Ref:608339)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins

Hey Graham, how about a suitably orange pullover?
Will a suitably orange Spyker jacket do?

(Sorry Liz.... )
Old 23 May 2003, 23:02 (Ref:608384)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While that is a good description of rallying in England, I'm sure the this meaning of the word is derived from train-spotters - vast knowledge of the truly useless gained by extreme personal discomfort.

Do we still have train spotters? Not enough trains to spot these days, surely.
Old 24 May 2003, 13:06 (Ref:608655)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Do we still have train spotters? Not enough trains to spot these days, surely.
Yeah, you see them on New Street trying to note down the numbers of train carriages that all look the same. A bit like looking for the differences between F1 cars, except the numbers are smaller.

I knew someone who committed suicide by lying on a railway line and waiting for a train. Died of starvation. Tragic, really.
Old 26 May 2003, 05:26 (Ref:610105)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14
I knew someone who committed suicide by lying on a railway line and waiting for a train. Died of starvation. Tragic, really.
If we lay on LM track tha whole year, do you think they could run the race two times instead of one ? :confused:
Old 26 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:610161)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14

Should have spotted buses instead. They always come along in 4's and 5's.......