Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 Dec 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2600569)   #1
SUPER-aguri !!!
Rookie

SUPER-aguri !!! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marina track

hi all,

decided to get in on the modern track design, and have a designed a marina track, simliar to abu dhabi running along a marina waterfront.

the track itself is entirely flat, as i cannot see any opportunitys for elevation changes. the circuit itself has alot of medium tight corners, and the dreaded " long straight followed by hairpin'!!!!.

the most unique feature of my design is the lack of grandstands, besides the main paddock area. Along the waterfront sections there are large docks, allowing cruise ships to temporarily dock , and became grandstands. Hows that for a cruise package, 3 nights docked trackside with an awesome view of the track!.

Although the track itself is nothing special , i feel the infrastructure and different unique style it has would make it a great grand prix circuit.

I included a diagram with the rough track layout bolded as the detail included makes the track quite hard to follow at some points.

cheers guys
Attached Thumbnails
marina track.JPG   marina track outline.JPG  
Old 16 Dec 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2600729)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the concept and you obviously have put a lot of thought and work into the design.

I do however thing that you've handcuffed yourself somewhat by the location of the pitlane, and the need for the extended pit exit.

Looking at the circuit a better location might be on the straight from T4 to the T5 kink. The pit entry would in effect be where you have located the current exit with the new pit exit beyond the kink.
This would be safe enough as the next corner currently T6 is right handed so cars would stay middle-left of the track after the kink for the optimal line into T6.

There are also one or two corners that don't have run-off which could do with some, namely T4 and T6 could do with extending the run-off further around the corners, likewise the exit of the chicane that leads onto the straight with the bridge over the harbour entrance.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2600760)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some corner shapes in your design that make it a great Marina circuit - probably the first great Marina circuit even.

These are Turn 5, the fast corner that comes after the kink in the backstraight, Turn 9, the assymetrical hairpin that should go in 2nd gear, Turns 10 and 11, and the slightly bent straight that leads past the yacht harbour with the kink at its end.

Thank you for such great work.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2600793)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Yannick in everything.
A superb one. SBF definitely has a point about the pitlane, still it's one of those tracks I wish I had come up with.

Congrats!

bio
Old 16 Dec 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2600964)   #5
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW...just wow. You are one of the most talented and detailed designers on this forum. If I could find 1 fault with this track it would be that there are too many corners at or close to 90 degrees. Other than than I think its a fantastic track that could produce some excellent racing with an exceptional atmosphere. And of course, the presentation is as always second to none. Keep up there great work! I always look forward to your work.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2601020)   #6
SUPER-aguri !!!
Rookie

hi all,
now that i read SBFs comments, I 100% agree about the pitlane, SBFs idea would make the exit far safer and more practical. Whether the 'commercial rights holder' would want the pitlane moved away from the waterfront area is another story though.

once again cheers for all the great comments and ideas. this forum is really great
Old 17 Dec 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2601091)   #7
SUPER-aguri !!!
Rookie

just added an edit to the track. is this what you had in mind SBF?
Attached Thumbnails
edit.JPG  
Old 17 Dec 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2601098)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
pretty much yes
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2601118)   #9
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BEST HAND DRAWN TRACK EVER!!!

While I have drawn tracks in a similar style as the roval you did. Never have I gotten this detailed with a track drawn on paper with a pencil as this one. This track is on a whole new level. I like the semi permanent street course style to it. It obviously looks inspired by Valencia and Abu Dhabi which get criticized a lot but happen to be tracks I like. I like the pits where you origonally have them. I like short pit straights.

Keep up the good work. Your tracks rock.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2601517)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just goes to show that you can create brilliant programmes but sometimes you just can't replace a good old-fashioned pencil, ruler and a sheet of A4
Old 17 Dec 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2601519)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appreciate the detail but I find the track uninspiring.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2601555)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Just goes to show that you can create brilliant programmes but sometimes you just can't replace a good old-fashioned pencil, ruler and a sheet of A4
True. I keep promising myself that I'm gonna find time and try again this "unusual" method one fine day!

bio
Old 17 Dec 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2601558)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Shambles buddy,
all our tries leave you uninspired - at least that's what I'm bound to think based on the fact that you haven't submitted a design in quite a while

This here is NOT any kind of negative comment on your work or opinion, I'd just like to see a shambles-design again. See, if my memory isne't playing tricks on me I remember I liked your tracks quite much.

bio
Old 17 Dec 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2601569)   #14
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
Roy4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like that track because it looks very simply in terms of corners.

The detail is just excellent!!!!!!

It just goes to show you that if you work hard you can draw something by hand which is better than making it on design software.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2602403)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bio, that is not the case in any circumstance. I refute that directly, please review my comments. I've been 'designing racing circuits' on bits of scrap paper from a very early age, and I have a very, very simple design philosophy. I'm not going to pander to anybody if I do not like something and I am rarely nasty. I appreciate your sentiments regarding the intention of your post bio, but I reject your criticisms at a basic level.

Review these threads to get a grasp on the circuits that are most representative of my style. Flow, speed and naturality:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81605
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80874
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82020
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83211
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109503
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77567
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79192
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79173
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87244
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93919
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100893
Old 19 Dec 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2602477)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I suggest we keep the comments in this thread about this thread.

Personal attacks won't be tolerated

SBF
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2602696)   #17
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Shambles buddy,
I really meant what I meant: i like your tracks so I miss them. There was no sarcasm intended in what i said. Thanx for the links, they just strengthened my memories of me liking your designs.

bio
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2602697)   #18
bio
Veteran

Hungary
SBF,
if your comment was aimed at me - sorry I made the wrong impression of intending to attack shambles personally - I did not want anything like that.

bio
Old 24 Dec 2009, 04:13 (Ref:2604540)   #19
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Super-agusi , I like your drawing a lot, it has to be hands down one of the most professional looking ones I've seen around and the track makes a lot of sense, being a streetcourse(I believe,no?)

I have only one small issue and is with T1, it is obviously a full throtle , ultra high speed,and I see not much space for anything if something goes wrong for someone.If I was a FIA or FIM official I'd surely would be looking at that spot with a magnifying glass and probably you will get a comment at least.

other than that, It's lovely work, keep it coming.