Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Could Rubens win the championship if he were Ferrari's #1 driver?
Yes 23 48.94%
No 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:56 (Ref:883430)   #1
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Barrichello be a champion?

Ok, this is a hypothetical question, but say in future, when Michael retires, et al, does anyone believe that with Rubens then being the #1 Ferrari driver, could he be champion?

He would have close to the best car, no team orders (or shall we hope) and he has the speed, we've seen it before, he's just been in Michael's shadow.

Who thinks he can?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 00:14 (Ref:883449)   #2
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that BAR is spending money on developing the car, rather than on a moody Canadian, they seem to be making quite big steps forward. Rubens is obviously very talented (you don't get a drive with Ferrari if you're not), and has closed the gap to Michael since joining the team. Given his performance last year I would say he has an edge over him now. With the spare $25m to invest in the car when Michael is gone, I think Rubens could get the title even if he wasn't quite the best driver. Presuming that whoever replaces MS doesn't get team preference.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 00:23 (Ref:883458)   #3
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens would be a great champion.Ferrari,if they wanted to take a chance,should sit both drivers down at a press conference inf ront of the world and say to both of them that this year you race each other as well as the rest of the feild.No more favorites.I think that Rubens would have a few surprises for Michael up his sleve.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 24 Feb 2004 at 00:24.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 00:29 (Ref:883462)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I honestly don't believe that a driver who has spent 5 seasons playing number 2 to Michael (assuming that Michael retires at the end of 04) can "step up" and take the number 1 mantle. To me, Rubens is very much in the DC role and Michaels replacement will be looked upon as the "future".
Old 24 Feb 2004, 00:30 (Ref:883464)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by peteconnors
Now that BAR is spending money on developing the car, rather than on a moody Canadian, they seem to be making quite big steps forward.
I believe that at this point, BAR's biggest improvement is due to switching tire manufacturers.

Rubens has show he can be as quick as Michael in the car. He should be able to win with him not around anymore.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 01:28 (Ref:883493)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good question and tough to answer.

Rubens has shown moments of sheer brilliance, and has had some incredible drives. But I'm not sure he has the ability to put enough of them together to be WDC. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure there's a driver out there that can put enough brilliant drives together to become WDC right now. That's what really seems to seperate Michael from the rest, he is the total package, he puts all of his skills together, consistently, in away that nobody else, including Rubens, seems to be able to.

But when Michael is gone, drivers at Rubens caliber, will be good enough for a run at WDC...

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Feb 2004, 01:41 (Ref:883503)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Rubens cannot carry a team to a WDC/WCC. He is good, even borderline great on his day. He is not borderline great every day, which a champion needs to be.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:26 (Ref:883623)   #8
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon that Rubens has what it takes to be a champion, but he is currently number two and when Michael leaves, I reckon that Rubens will have left too. I'd love to see him do it, but I don't think Ferrari would allow him. But, you can never be totally sure. He has the ability for sure.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:47 (Ref:883637)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens still has to prove able to win under strong pressure, which is one of MS' best qualities.
When/if he succedes, he can be a WDC, otherwise he can't
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:49 (Ref:883640)   #10
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. as Ron Dennis said, being winners without MS isn't as good as beating him and I can't see Ferrari or MS letting Rubens win the WDC while the line up stays the same.

Outside of Ferrari I can't see him winning one either.

Last edited by MacMan; 24 Feb 2004 at 07:52.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:49 (Ref:883641)   #11
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Could Barrichello be a champion?

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamik gal
Who thinks he can?
Me.

Rubens was good driver. Very good. He is quick, very quick.

If Ferrari have the best car in 2004 (or one of the best), and he has same support as Michael, ist no impossible that he can beat Michael and became WDC.

If he move to Williams in 2005, and FW27 became the best car (or one of the best car), he can be the champion.

So, why Rubens cant be champion?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:50 (Ref:883643)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he is a great driver. But it all depends on the support Ferrari give him.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:58 (Ref:883649)   #13
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is IF, so the answer is IF too.

If Rubens has the best car, if he has full suport from team, he CAN be the champion.

But, will he became the champion? Its other matter. We just wait and see.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:31 (Ref:883677)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think ferrari owe Rubens a title shot, the amount he's done for the team and with no chance of a attitle for himself they should try to get him one when TGF retires.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:51 (Ref:883694)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rubens will never be Ferraris number one driver, once TGF leaves Massa or whoever will be the focus of the teams efforts. Rubens is a nice guy and a good driver (not great) but he'll never be WDC at Ferrari.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:55 (Ref:883698)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They probably will put their focus on Massa. But I question the wisdom of focusing all your resources on an unproven driver who has done absolutely nothing.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:34 (Ref:883852)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very hypothetical question seeing as it is very unlikely Rubens will be #1 at Ferrari after MS retires. he is signed until the end of '06 like MS sothey will be chamnging both drivers.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:25 (Ref:883928)   #18
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no........now prove me wrong rubino......please....
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:32 (Ref:883934)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Irony:

Monaco 93, Rubino the "New talent" in the (Very nice looking) Jordan getting lapped by the "New Outstanding Talent" before his engine nuked.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:41 (Ref:883947)   #20
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Rubens will never be Ferraris number one driver, once TGF leaves Massa or whoever will be the focus of the teams efforts.
but they could offer him a season after TGF leaves and before whoever arrives.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:45 (Ref:883952)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, as a 'merci beaucoup' for all the hard work and sacrifices he made over the years.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:09 (Ref:883983)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear ASCII, it's a bit strong to talk about sacrifices when what you have to do is fulfilling your passion and get paid 10 million $ per year, don't you think?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 17:07 (Ref:884191)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He could......but he won't!
Old 24 Feb 2004, 17:25 (Ref:884206)   #24
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the answer to this one lies at the door of ferrari. Will they decide to make him a number one and give him a number two driver for support or will he remain a number two driver
Old 24 Feb 2004, 17:59 (Ref:884237)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure the signing of Rubens on an extended contract is Ferrari hedging their bets should MS retire early.

Rubens will be a stop gap for Ferrari until they can extract Kimi or Alonso from their contracts, I don't think he is part of their long term plan.