Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Nov 2000, 19:43 (Ref:50537)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John Baldwin, newly appointed Director of Panoz Motorsport and their bid for the American LeMans Series championship, died suddenly in Kershaw, North Carolina where the team had been testing.

A highly experienced engineer and designer, John and his family spent much time in the USA during his career. He was involved in Championship successes in Indy, Formula One and other international racing categories, and projects such as F1 4WD, F1 gas turbine. Team Lotus and Team McLaren were two of the F1 teams with which Baldwin had been involved at the highest level, while Parnelli Jones, Mayer Motor Racing and Arciero-Wells in the US were also some of the fortunate recipients of his many talents.

He leaves his wife Sandra, and three daughters Jo, Sarah and Victoria.

My deepest symaphies go out to Mr. Baldwin's family, friends, and colleagues.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 23:11 (Ref:50560)   #2
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, thats horrible.

Deepest sympathies to the family and the Panoz organization.

(It's not important, but they were testing in Kershaw, SC, not NC. Carolina Motorsports Park is one of my local tracks.)
Old 1 Dec 2000, 13:58 (Ref:50648)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My bad, sorry 'bout that.
Old 2 Dec 2000, 03:34 (Ref:50767)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz is my team and I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. What did he die from? Did they say?
Old 4 Dec 2000, 13:54 (Ref:51056)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
He apparently was struck with a massive coronary heart attack.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 11:04 (Ref:51468)   #6
andybee
Rookie

andybee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Baldwin

I worked for John for a few years when we were first at Yamaha and then at a F3000 team. You would never find anyone more friendly, helpful and just a down right bloody good person in your life. I tell you, he just never got stressed. He was a real pleasure to work with and will be very sadly missed. The guy was full of motor racing from tip to toe. One year when he was engineeing in CART, he travelled back and forth between the UK and the states 20 times in a season!

He helped me on my way after Uni and for that I will be eternally grateful to him and to known of some one so remarkable.

Some of the cars he designed included the Chappell, Lotus56, McLaren (Indy) M24, M16, a number of Brabhams, March Alfa Romeo Indycar, March Porsche IndyCar, the AAR Toyota Indy Car, Yamaha road car, various Ralts and Marches

Up until recentley he had been engineering in IRL and Lights as well.

Will be sadly missed