Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2831400)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bahrain (Updated)

The article discusses Iran mostly but it also says the police fired buckshot at protestors in Barhain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ddle-East.html

The middle east is currently undergoing a massive change. I think Qatar which, is pretty benign, and of course the UAE and Oman are relatively safe. However the tipping point could be Bahrain then what does Bernie do about the first race?

Thoughts?
Old 15 Feb 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2831474)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Scrap it and have it somewhere you can race. (double meaning)

Selby
Old 15 Feb 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2831502)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's gp2 asia there this weekend so that could be interesting...!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2831508)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah,

On a more global view this is starting to get a bit nasty.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2831513)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Are GP2 using the full track, Bella? As in the Grand Prix 2004-2009 track?

Selby
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2831530)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good question... the data they have on the website is this:

Quote:
Track Info

* LENGTH: 5.412 km
* Race 1: 32 laps - 173.184 km
* Race 2: 23 laps - 124.476 km
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2831533)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Warnings of protests to try and de-rail the GP now.

I would imagine it would have blown-over by then, but if the race has to get cancelled, who on 10/10ths is really going to be bothered?
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2831535)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
good question... the data they have on the website is this:
Yeh that's certainly the Grand Prix (2004-09) track.

Statistically, so I hear, Bahrain produces alot of overtaking - so here's hoping..!

Also, might give us a better look at these new GP2 cars and how they race.

Selby
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2831560)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I, for one, am ecstatic for people all over the world are rising up again tyranny, but when they start disrupting motor racing, that is where I draw the line.

Drop it (or at least delay it), and let them start the year properly down under. I just read that some GP2 drivers/crews are stuck in hotels; no need to deal with all of that.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2831568)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the race has to be rescheduled (which if GP2 teams are stuck in hotels might indicate that there could be a problem), there is always the possibility of slotting it in before or after Abu Dhabi.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2831572)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the problem could be getting stuff into the country too i suppose - airfreight and seafreight is heavily dependant on people being at work to offload planes and boats, and for customs to clear everything promptly.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2831574)   #12
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Warnings of protests to try and de-rail the GP now.

I would imagine it would have blown-over by then, but if the race has to get cancelled, who on 10/10ths is really going to be bothered?
I dont know ..... motor racing fans perhaps?
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2831576)   #13
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cancel the race, have a make-up event in Europe and save the teams a boatload of travel money.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2831597)   #14
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice comments from Crown-Prince of F1 Bernard of Ecclestone.

"If these people wanted to make a fuss and get worldwide recognition it would be bloody easy, wouldn't it?"

Not with your ticket prices mate.

These bloody upity foreign types making a fuss of minor issues like democracy. Tisk tisk. But then this is the same Bernie who was quoted suggesting a 'benevolent' dictator is the ideal option for rule.

I have no issue with F1 broadening its horizons. But deal with these type of governments and this is what will happen. Unless Bernie has some spare pennies to help the Crown-Prince hold down these naughty little children.

I love F1 so very much its quite wrong. But to see the sport used to help 'control' the masses in the middle east, or even just see Bernie on the telly moaning about them, would be very unsavory.

If it wasn't so belittling to the people of the middle east and beyond who are fighting for quite basic human rights I'd suggest we all join the protestors on the grid in Bahrain and campaign to be rid of our own dictator.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2831608)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
BE is currently unsure of the situation in Bahrain:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=42959

Doesn't look too good at the mo though.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2831626)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what gives me concern is the safety of the teams and their staff. if that cannot be guaranteed to the highest possible level then the event should be canceled.

however, if the race gets canceled solely because the ruling family feels that a race will give a public and international forum to those they stand against or that they don't want additional western media in their country giving voice to these protests then i think that would be a pretty terrible reason.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2831633)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I was going to make a joke in regards to atleast people would actually be turning up to the GP, but I guess that's in bad taste!

If I knew they'd actually be lining up a replacement GP elsewhere, i'd say this is positive news as far as the racing is concerned, but obviously thoughts to those who needlessly lost their lives by the sounds of it

Selby
Old 15 Feb 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2831635)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
what gives me concern is the safety of the teams and their staff. if that cannot be guaranteed to the highest possible level then the event should be canceled.

however, if the race gets canceled solely because the ruling family feels that a race will give a public and international forum to those they stand against or that they don't want additional western media in their country giving voice to these protests then i think that would be a pretty terrible reason.
Yeh this just about sums it up. That's definitely the wrong reasons, indeed.

Selby
Old 15 Feb 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2831640)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
at risk of starting a political discussion... the pro-mubarak "protestors" who were bussed in, paid to be there and started violence with the peaceful anti- demonstrators during the tahrir square demos were basically there to discredit the anti-govt protests and to make them look violent and disorderly. let's hope nobody tries that sort of nonsense.

presumably it'd also be within the realms of possibility that they could allow the race to go ahead knowing it would indeed showcase the demonstrations, and give the leaders an excellent soapbox to denounce the protestors as being counter-productive and giving the kingdom a bad name.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2831659)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good point Bella.

i do hope that they look at Egypt more closely and realize just how quickly things can turn on them if they turn things violent in order to bolster their own positions. not only did it it embolden the people and the army against Mubarak, but the actions of the 'pro government' forces also turned almost all of Egypt's western allies against it. there is a lesson here for the Bahrain leadership...but who knows if they are capable of seeing it.

moving away from politics and back to F1, how much of a factor will this be for the businesses associated with F1. in this time of upheaval i wonder how many companies will stand by F1 if F1 is seen by their western consumers as supporting violent regimes especially when it plays out every night on the BBC and CNN.

in the end it may be the sponsors who would prefer that this event just went away in the short term.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2831680)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
moving away from politics and back to F1, how much of a factor will this be for the businesses associated with F1. in this time of upheaval i wonder how many companies will stand by F1 if F1 is seen by their western consumers as supporting violent regimes especially when it plays out every night on the BBC and CNN.
i think it's a similar discussion to the one where countries with small interest in f1 are being given grands prix which they hope will encourage more support, and help bring in a bit of tourism. where does supporting these countries become wasting time, money and valuable race slots and discrediting the formula? where would showing support for the country as a whole by continuing to hold the aforementioned sporting event regardless of the government situation turn into supporting a regime that is perceived as being corrupt?

i think it boils down to how the same media you mention as hosting the demonstrations live on air choose to report it. my view of the mainstream news media in the states (i appreciate it's not the same as canada ) is that things are always black and white - someone is always right and someone else is always wrong. the bbc did side with the protestors to a certain extent but they didn't go for outright sensationalist stuff and just reported what was happening on the ground. the end result was quite a strong shade of grey...

that said, if bernie carries on mouthing off he's going to lose respect from both the rich middle east people who are financing his big scalextric set, and everyone else who supports it. it's all very well talking in laymans terms when you're speaking about a circuit that isn't ready, but when you're talking about a bit of a delicate political situation that could result in casualties... leave it to the press officers.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2831736)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
where would showing support for the country as a whole by continuing to hold the aforementioned sporting event regardless of the government situation turn into supporting a regime that is perceived as being corrupt?
i light of recent developments think F1 already crossed that line.

the fact that it is Bahrain and maybe Abu Dhabi does present a unique angle to it. the sovereign private equity firms controlled by the ruling families of these countries are heavily invested in brands associated with F1 like Ferrari, like Merc, like the oil and gas giants etc. the races are there because of these very associations and i imagine it is not a far leap for the local populations to make F1 a symbol of many of the things that are wrong in their countries without anyone fanning the flames.

in the end maybe you are right. BE is too deep in this mess and will end up alienating both sides and these races will disappear...which is what i suspect most F1 fans want to happen anyways.

Last edited by chillibowl; 15 Feb 2011 at 18:50.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2831913)   #23
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember a few people in the media predicting this when Bernie started moving F1 into the middle east. at that time the world economy was booming and bahrain was opening a new ludicrously opulent hotel every week - solid gold carpet in every room, trained dolphins serving drinks in your mini bar, giant ferrari theme parks etc etc now the locals can't afford a loaf of bread! i doubt this will 'blow over' as food prices aren't going down any time soon
Old 16 Feb 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2831920)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Are you alright Peter? How things can change in a heartbeat...
Old 16 Feb 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2831927)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I hope Qatar will escape as will the UAE (Qatar is in the GCC) mainly because it has the highest salary per capita in the world. It was second to Luxemburg last year. The biggest problem we face here is the local's attitude to expats but I can't see that turning nasty very soon. Politically though this is very nasty. The 2022 World Cup and other events could look at the region as a whole and stop coming.

Interestingly, today I got an e mail from Bahrain circuit encouraging me to go to the GP.