Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3857331)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um. Thats why its called racing.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3857335)   #302
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
When was this ever the case?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3857350)   #303
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
(A)But where's the racing?

(B)Where are the wheel to wheel battles for lap after lap that we used to get?

(C)Maybe I'm just suffering from rose tinted glasses or the Hamilton generation fans have jaded me too much but I just don't see the excitement like I used to.

(D)The tech still fascinates me but I don't have to watch the races to get satisfaction from that.
(A) All over the world....all different series. I don't quite understand how you've missed it....

(B) I don't remember those in my 50+ years of following except on rare, wonderful, occasions. Links to them please. I know I'm getting older but my memory still works pretty well.

(C) That's a shame.

(D) Then why do they put it on the track? And, why do you follow F1 if that's the case?

jimclark
Old 17 Oct 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3857353)   #304
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
I don't even remember lap to lap, blaaahhh, blaaahhh, blaaahhh. But, after 68 years of F1, if what you say is so true, you prove my point. You wait for that one exciting moment in time....

Heck, I just checked 1983 and the first 4 race finishes were further and further apart. I'm so (not) confused.

Last edited by jimclark; 17 Oct 2018 at 19:59.

jimclark
Old 17 Oct 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3857358)   #305
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To be fair John Watson and Niki Lauda came 1-2 after starting 22nd and 23rd
Old 17 Oct 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3857380)   #306
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
To be fair John Watson and Niki Lauda came 1-2 after starting 22nd and 23rd
Long Beach 1983. That would be from the back of the grid in one of today's GPs.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3857382)   #307
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Today’s grid doesn’t even stretch that far
Old 17 Oct 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3857386)   #308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Today’s grid doesn’t even stretch that far
22 cars in today's grid, 28 at Long Beach '83.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3857387)   #309
S griffin
Veteran

Actually 26 plus about 4 non qualifiers
Old 17 Oct 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3857394)   #310
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Actually 26 plus about 4 non qualifiers
I forgot about that, so I did a bit of research and both Osella's failed to qualify.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/d...ach-grand-prix
Old 17 Oct 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3857399)   #311
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I don't even remember lap to lap, blaaahhh, blaaahhh, blaaahhh. But, after 68 years of F1, if what you say is so true, you prove my point. You wait for that one exciting moment in time....

Heck, I just checked 1983 and the first 4 race finishes were further and further apart. I'm so (not) confused.
The first five races of 1983 were won by 5 different constructors though ...

Big difference between winning a proper competition, and merely backing the winning margin down toward the end of the race, much easier too in cars that cannot overtake one another.

On a separate note, how long would Mercedes be allowed to keep their advantage/ current rules framework if they stopped sand bagging and won every race by two laps?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3857401)   #312
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I don't expect drivers taking and retaking each other everylap like in Formula Ford but I do expect cars to be able to enable drivers to pull off moves regularly and not get bogged down.

We had a season 2010 or 11 when first 7 races all had a different winner featuring 4 teams...

2003 was a tremendously close season between 3 different teams.

1981 and '82 were uber competitive with loads of actual racing.

Simplify the aero of the cars and open out some of the tracks. We've said it how many times?!
Old 17 Oct 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3857408)   #313
S griffin
Veteran

2012 was the season of 7 different winners in the first 7 races.

I agree let’s have simplified aero and less gimmicks
Old 17 Oct 2018, 22:51 (Ref:3857409)   #314
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
When I first joined TenTenths, back in July 2008, that was pretty much the first thing I used to read on posts, "simplify the aero" and 10 years on it's still being posted.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3857414)   #315
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When I first joined TenTenths, back in July 2008, that was pretty much the first thing I used to read on posts, "simplify the aero" and 10 years on it's still being posted.
Still absolutely on the money today don't you think BJ?

All the FIA did was put bigger moveable wings on the cars for 2009, absolutely the wrong way to go, and the racing just got worse!

On a separate track, how about every team competing in F1 gets a vote in FOM and they use a secret ballot so that the manufacturers can't strong arm the teams they are supplying?
Old 18 Oct 2018, 00:50 (Ref:3857415)   #316
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
22 cars in today's grid, 28 at Long Beach '83.
Only 22 cars if you count the doctor's car and pace car too, BJ.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 00:58 (Ref:3857416)   #317
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Only 21 cars if you count the doctor's car too, BJ.
So it is wnut, only 10 teams.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3857418)   #318
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Still absolutely on the money today don't you think BJ?

All the FIA did was put bigger moveable wings on the cars for 2009, absolutely the wrong way to go, and the racing just got worse!

On a separate track, how about every team competing in F1 gets a vote in FOM and they use a secret ballot so that the manufacturers can't strong arm the teams they are supplying?
Still on the money, wnut.

I don't remember 2009 being that bad but I always felt the rot started in 2010, particularly with the lack of overtaking and so in the following year, the FIA brought in DRS.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3857440)   #319
S griffin
Veteran

I remember in 2009 they got rid of a lot of those horrible winglets. Shame they bought a lot of them back in 2017.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3857471)   #320
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It was 2011 IIRC and DRS was introduced in response to McLaren's F-duct in 2010 which stalled the rear wing by a fluidic duct operated by the driver's knee! The other teams couldn't replicate that and had the drivers taking their hands off the steering wheel down the straights instead! DRS was seen as a far safer alternative.

Here is a great analysis of the 2019 front wing regulations: https://www.f1technical.net/news/21879
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3857472)   #321
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They did simplify it in 2009. And then will simplify the front wing in 2019 too (as above).

The complexity has only appeared in the areas of the car where there are no restrictions on the surfacing used (i.e., the unrestricted boxes where they can put whatever they want, which in 2018 are primarily front wing, under the nose, bargeboards and no restrictions on slots in the floor provided there is no bodywork above).

On the other hand, the minimum radius rule remains very effective at keeping the sidepods clear of winglets. All that is needed is a brave FIA to overrule the self-interested teams and extend that minimum radius rule over the whole car.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3857475)   #322
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
You'd think people would have paid attention in those 10 years

But cognitive dissonance is easier.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3857476)   #323
S griffin
Veteran

Hopefully we’ll find rules that make DRS obsolete
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3857489)   #324
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
(A) All over the world....all different series. I don't quite understand how you've missed it....

(B) I don't remember those in my 50+ years of following except on rare, wonderful, occasions. Links to them please. I know I'm getting older but my memory still works pretty well.

(C) That's a shame.

(D) Then why do they put it on the track? And, why do you follow F1 if that's the case?
(A) We're talking F1 here. I watch pretty much watch every racing series there is that broadcasts regularly apart from NASCAR. Plenty of those series give me the excitement that F1 used to do.

It may well be that my tastes have changed but, as I'm far from alone in saying that F1 isn't what it used to be, I don't think that's all there is to it.

Don't get your point about (D) at all? I find motorsport tech fascinating and I always build my own race cars from the ground up. I can follow the F1 tech in the specialist magazines (Racecar Engineering) without ever watching a single F1 race. Just because I like the tech doesn't mean I like everything that goes with it as far as F1 is concerned.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3857493)   #325
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They did simplify it in 2009. And then will simplify the front wing in 2019 too (as above).

The complexity has only appeared in the areas of the car where there are no restrictions on the surfacing used (i.e., the unrestricted boxes where they can put whatever they want, which in 2018 are primarily front wing, under the nose, bargeboards and no restrictions on slots in the floor provided there is no bodywork above).

On the other hand, the minimum radius rule remains very effective at keeping the sidepods clear of winglets. All that is needed is a brave FIA to overrule the self-interested teams and extend that minimum radius rule over the whole car.
https://www.wired.com/2009/03/changes-in-form/

"There are major changes in this area for 2009. The front wing is lower and wider, which will result in a reduction in downforce.
And, for the first time ever, drivers will be given control over adjusting the flaps on the front wing, with a change of up to six degrees. This probably means yet another dial on an already crowded steering wheel. Drivers will be limited to two adjustments per lap."