Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2430643)   #1
MiddleNameGrace
Rookie

MiddleNameGrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Design Software

Hello! I'm hoping you guys would be able to recommend some track design software. I'm an aspiring designer and professional dabbler who needs something better than CS3 to develop my ideas. Maybe I'm just no good with Photoshop or maybe it's just not set up for track design but either way I could use some help! Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2430943)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to My Tracks

You'd be more than welcome to post a few of your designs up on here. Any comments are ususally very constructive and who knows we may even be able to offer some tips and pointers.

As for software, Google Sketch Up ...it's free if you have the patients to get use to it. Advice on how to use it comes free on here as well.

I used to use Photoshop before I discovered I was pointed in sketch up's direction. Now I don't use anything else.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2431743)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It depends whatever floats your boat, I use the mapping tools on Google Earth mainly as my occasional attempts are either edits or street circuits. I have Sketchup installed, but it isn't exactly easy to use if you're someone like me
Old 20 May 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2465734)   #4
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are interested in laying out and driving your tracks, I don't think anything is better than Bob's Track Builder ( www.bobstrackbuilder.com ). It is a fully functional builder and allows for the creation and manipulation of 3d terrain (as well as a 3d track obviously). Some things are lacking (no grandstands are readily available, or any other buildings; the terrain can be a pain to work with; the track building is based on nodes and control points rather than drawing it freehand or with strict mathematical numbers), but I love it.

The tracks export to a variety of games including rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, RACER, GTR, GTR: Evo, Race07 and more (all are listed on the site).
Old 21 May 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2466372)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... And let me continue with recommending Ocad, an easy-to-use map designing software. It's not free, but you can legally download earlier versions and betas from their home page for free. For reference see my thread "bio's tracks".
Also, for driveable designs i use Blender, a free 3D design software. If interested, check the thread "Racer projects" for details. Ive been using it for a time and found it extremely helpful, a necessity really. Folx, everyone should test their tracks, it more than helps

And i can join SBF in recommending Sketchup.

bio