Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jun 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4056121)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wakefield Park Issues

Development proposed at WP meets stiff local opposition

https://www.goulburnpost.com.au/stor...ment-proposal/

Electric cars will fix this in nothing flat.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 02:37 (Ref:4056293)   #2
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Electric cars will fix this in nothing flat.
Nope, the Nimbys will complain about that too.
Old 15 Jun 2021, 01:41 (Ref:4056444)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Nope, the Nimbys will complain about that too.
You are most probably right.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 23:41 (Ref:4061514)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Wakefield Park decided to take this to the appeals process off the Council staff recommendation alone.

Having listened to most of the original council meeting to discuss the DA you could see/hear the council was in a difficult position trying to keep both sides happy so best to let the independent umpire decide without the local emotions.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 02:25 (Ref:4061521)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
So Wakefield Park decided to take this to the appeals process off the Council staff recommendation alone.

Having listened to most of the original council meeting to discuss the DA you could see/hear the council was in a difficult position trying to keep both sides happy so best to let the independent umpire decide without the local emotions.
Unfortunately there will be an unhappy loser no matter what the decision is.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 05:14 (Ref:4061526)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately there will be an unhappy loser no matter what the decision is.
Wonder if council maybe knows they will lose in court, and they've shown support for the NIMBYs but let it go to court so then they have an out...
Old 19 Jul 2021, 01:54 (Ref:4061953)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post

The current DA (as it stands, and if I am very much, not mistaken) allows 287 days/annum, 78 "quiet" day and a maximum of 30 "noisy" days (trucks, superbikes etc)...Wakefield are saying this limits the viability of the business...
Old 19 Jul 2021, 01:56 (Ref:4061954)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Wonder if council maybe knows they will lose in court, and they've shown support for the NIMBYs but let it go to court so then they have an out...
It is alleged that one of the councilors is a nearby resident and is opposed...but I am probably wrong on that count
Old 19 Jul 2021, 02:05 (Ref:4061956)   #9
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
The current DA (as it stands, and if I am very much, not mistaken) allows 287 days/annum, 78 "quiet" day and a maximum of 30 "noisy" days (trucks, superbikes etc)...Wakefield are saying this limits the viability of the business...
They are just trying it on, the rules were there and have been since the circuit was sold to Benalla and it has operated under those rules for well over a decade. It has always been a quite truce but the current management has stirred things up by the sound of it and it might cost them. When the circuit was up for sale it was offered to me but I declined which seems a stupid decision in some ways now as it was not much money even then.
Old 19 Jul 2021, 02:12 (Ref:4061959)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
They are just trying it on, the rules were there and have been since the circuit was sold to Benalla and it has operated under those rules for well over a decade. It has always been a quite truce but the current management has stirred things up by the sound of it and it might cost them. When the circuit was up for sale it was offered to me but I declined which seems a stupid decision in some ways now as it was not much money even then.
Ummm No, the previous DA was re-negotiated in 2000 from the original 1999 settings...
Old 19 Jul 2021, 03:05 (Ref:4061964)   #11
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Ummm No, the previous DA was re-negotiated in 2000 from the original 1999 settings...
Fair enough but it does not change what I said, the rules have been there for 21 years and they knew it. Did they do any discussion or seek to engage the near neighbors because that is the first thing I would have done if I wanted the rules changed.
Old 20 Jul 2021, 07:28 (Ref:4062283)   #12
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Fair enough but it does not change what I said, the rules have been there for 21 years and they knew it. Did they do any discussion or seek to engage the near neighbors because that is the first thing I would have done if I wanted the rules changed.
What? ever?...typo in my response...The Wakefield Park circuit was built by Paul Samuels and John Carter and was opened officially by NSW Premier John Fahey and Formula 1 World Champion Sir Jack Brabham in November 1994. It was built with club motorsport firmly in mind, and soon became a popular venue for track days and Supersprints...
Old 20 Jul 2021, 08:15 (Ref:4062297)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
What? ever?...typo in my response...The Wakefield Park circuit was built by Paul Samuels and John Carter and was opened officially by NSW Premier John Fahey and Formula 1 World Champion Sir Jack Brabham in November 1994. It was built with club motorsport firmly in mind, and soon became a popular venue for track days and Supersprints...
I always like going there because it was the only track that that we could race at that had pits under cover and accommodation at the circuit or next door. The fact that the corners were not graded to a level and just followed the land contour made it very technical as well.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4086063)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wakefield currently talking to ACT Government about a possible move there...I wish they had asked me first!!! The current local-yokel "council" running Canberra is decidedly anti-car...
Old 30 Nov 2021, 23:06 (Ref:4086072)   #15
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wakefield currently talking to ACT Government about a possible move there...I wish they had asked me first!!! The current local-yokel "council" running Canberra is decidedly anti-car...
I tend to agree, but as a bargaining move it is a good one - whether it has any effect on the GMC is another matter.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 23:02 (Ref:4086209)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I tend to agree, but as a bargaining move it is a good one - whether it has any effect on the GMC is another matter.
Ed, you may be assuming that GMC are unaware of the ACT Gummint's motorsport aversion...dangerous? If they are aware, then they are probably sniggering behind their hands and basically ignoring WP's "bluff"...

The elephant in the room, however, is the tremendous local business support for the track and the risk that WP will indeed vote with their feet some time in the future!

I note that local Council elections are on this weekend...the locals (I hope) seek out pro-WP candidates to vote for!

https://elections.nsw.gov.au/Electio...urn%20Mulwaree
Old 2 Dec 2021, 00:26 (Ref:4086212)   #17
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the best they have, and as I said Mick, I am well aware of the anti-motorist tendencies there. I doubt that there are any pro-WP candidates campaigning on that platform, I hope I am wrong and if so I wish them luck.

The unasked question is how much BAC and their WP management contributed to their problems - seems to me to have been some dodgy decisions including the last round of investment.

Having said that I am not convinced that the noise restrictions are dealbreakers, certainly they will make things difficult but kill the circuit - we will see.
Old 2 Dec 2021, 00:29 (Ref:4086214)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
One wag I spoke to at the GEAR meeting yesterday, suggested that WP should field a candidate and get on the GMC (not to be confused with the GMC 400 held years a go in Can'tberra)...to try and bring some common sense into the debate!
Old 2 Dec 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4086215)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Having said that I am not convinced that the noise restrictions are dealbreakers, certainly they will make things difficult but kill the circuit - we will see.
A friend who has competed at WP about 150 times with the same car, got pinged for being 2dB over the noise limit for the first time. The car sounded like a mild Dyson Vacuum cleaner rather any any open piped race car!

Madness!
Old 2 Dec 2021, 23:30 (Ref:4086367)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Candidates for the GMC elections look like a motely crew!

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 2 Dec 2021 at 23:39.
Old 3 Dec 2021, 22:54 (Ref:4086496)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
A friend who has competed at WP about 150 times with the same car, got pinged for being 2dB over the noise limit for the first time. The car sounded like a mild Dyson Vacuum cleaner rather any any open piped race car!

Madness!
Maybe it was an overcast day and the those taking the measurements didn't allow for overcast, humidity and the like? There are Australian Standards for Db measurement, which allow for proximity to solid objects (such as walls, trees etc), humidity, overcast, wind, daily checking/testing of the meter etc - most of which get ignored by those who take measurements at race tracks.

Might be your friend was hard done by.
Old 5 Dec 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4086956)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Maybe it was an overcast day and the those taking the measurements didn't allow for overcast, humidity and the like? There are Australian Standards for Db measurement, which allow for proximity to solid objects (such as walls, trees etc), humidity, overcast, wind, daily checking/testing of the meter etc - most of which get ignored by those who take measurements at race tracks.

Might be your friend was hard done by.
I have no doubt my friend was hard done by as there was a substantially noisier car close by!!!
Old 5 Dec 2021, 20:28 (Ref:4086957)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wakefield talks with the ACT: I find myself looking for Goulburn News more and more these days!

https://www.goulburnpost.com.au/stor...-polls/?cs=181
Old 6 Dec 2021, 00:03 (Ref:4087063)   #24
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The recent Noise issues were the final factor in deciding not to participate in the state race meeting this coming weekend. There were a number of others as well but I was still considering it until I heard about 3 competitors I know in similar cars being sent home in the last 3 weeks because of noise complaints. Givent that I bet there is no refund for being sent home despite having run there for 21 years in the same configuration in the past I just didnt have the final incentive to go and have a run. lets see how those who turn up go and if no-one in my category has an issue then maybe I'll go back next year for a race meeting. Seems to just be too much hassle to going motor racing these days that doesnt relate to the actual prep and running of the car as an amateur on a budget.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 04:58 (Ref:4087110)   #25
Casper
Veteran

Has there been a lower noise limit applied to WP or is this WP management trying to appease the local residents?