Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Jun 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4057474)   #3651
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I'm curious about from the onboard shots is I've noticed in some drivers' cars (not on the above video of Nic's though), while they're racing all of the warning lights on the display seem to rapidly flash in unison. I'm just wondering why they do that? My own guess would be that maybe they flash when a warning isn't active so that the driver can tell everything's working normally without having to take their eyes off the track, rather than just a single warning light coming on that might get missed. Anyone know the answer?
Old 20 Jun 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4057475)   #3652
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It's not noticeably to the naked eye but LED light do flicker. The strobing effect you are seeing is a combination of the refresh rate of the lights and the camera shutter speed. You might notice that the rear lights of some race cars also appear to strobe; Porsche Cup cars seems especially prone to this.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4057502)   #3653
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's not noticeably to the naked eye but LED light do flicker. The strobing effect you are seeing is a combination of the refresh rate of the lights and the camera shutter speed. You might notice that the rear lights of some race cars also appear to strobe; Porsche Cup cars seems especially prone to this.
Thanks for the explanation. That's interesting. I ought to have known that. I knew a similar effect is very noticeable in recordings of the old CRT screens but I wasn't really aware of it happening with LEDs.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4057572)   #3654
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's quite interesting yes. Hopefully they can sort out the glitches in future, but it can happen from time to time
Old 21 Jun 2021, 12:39 (Ref:4057601)   #3655
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure it will be something that can be 'fixed' in the future - its the same as watching F1 wheels/tyres spinning and when it harmonises with the camera refresh rate they look like they aren't rotating.

You would fix it in post-processing for a movie, but far too much effort for sport.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4057606)   #3656
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Thanks for the explanation. That's interesting. I ought to have known that. I knew a similar effect is very noticeable in recordings of the old CRT screens but I wasn't really aware of it happening with LEDs.
I think it is becoming increasingly common to notice due to improved frame rates of modern cameras. Apparently, there is a 'cure' - don't use as capable a camera.

Totally off topic - most LEDs fitted to cars are all of the same intensity; the different perceived brightness comes from duty cycle. So a brake light might be based on a 90% on/10% off cycle, whereas the same LEDs for a tail light are a 30% on/70% off cycle.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4057633)   #3657
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least it should keep the problem monitored, but you can never make these devices perfect.

I think the technology of lights on tin tops has improved and should be applauded
Old 21 Jun 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4057652)   #3658
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Totally off topic - most LEDs fitted to cars are all of the same intensity; the different perceived brightness comes from duty cycle. So a brake light might be based on a 90% on/10% off cycle, whereas the same LEDs for a tail light are a 30% on/70% off cycle.
The phase you are looking for is 'pulse-width modulation'.

The 'cure' is to not use LEDs and go back to incandescent bulbs. People always say the future is be brighter, but what they fail to mention is that the future is also more flickery.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 17:06 (Ref:4057655)   #3659
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
..and when your LED car lights die your wallet hurts. No more little bulbs for 50p, rather whole new lamp clusters for hundreds
Old 23 Jun 2021, 01:35 (Ref:4057813)   #3660
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They don’t often fail though. And they are brighter, which is generally better.

Of course, they can be damaged.
Old 26 Jun 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4058260)   #3661
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just an idle thought but could teams get hold of the hybrid kit early then chuck it in an older shell and spent the year testing? Money permitting of course.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4058574)   #3662
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bushell has an offer to race for the rest of the season. Who is on the way out?
Old 28 Jun 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4058600)   #3663
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post

Good question. All eyes on Twitter to find the clues
Old 28 Jun 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4058606)   #3664
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hopefully Neate...
Old 28 Jun 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4058640)   #3665
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or maybe Chilton? Maybe he's had enough already and wants to commit himself to the ETCR. This is not very likely but I wouldn't be completely surprised.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4058666)   #3666
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Or maybe Chilton? Maybe he's had enough already and wants to commit himself to the ETCR. This is not very likely but I wouldn't be completely surprised.

Good call there. Most likely one I can think of atm
Old 28 Jun 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4058669)   #3667
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I think Glynn Geddie is the most likely candidate for two reasons. Firstly, he may be struggling for budget after the large Thruxton crash, and secondly, Mike Bushell has always had a good relationship with Team HARD, so it makes sense that he would go there. I am very pleased to see Bushell back; he is a very good driver. But obviously a shame for whoever he is replacing.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4058672)   #3668
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty done deal, great to have him back. Hopefully replacing one of the backmarking group. Edwards is always one that has struggled for budget
Old 28 Jun 2021, 20:24 (Ref:4058734)   #3669
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I think Glynn Geddie is the most likely candidate for two reasons. Firstly, he may be struggling for budget after the large Thruxton crash, and secondly, Mike Bushell has always had a good relationship with Team HARD, so it makes sense that he would go there. I am very pleased to see Bushell back; he is a very good driver. But obviously a shame for whoever he is replacing.
Guess it depends on how much Neates contribution to the rebuild was.

Team HARD and Motorbase (AMD as was) does seem the most likely two destinations given his previous relationships.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 20:39 (Ref:4058738)   #3670
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Guess it depends on how much Neates contribution to the rebuild was.

Team HARD and Motorbase (AMD as was) does seem the most likely two destinations given his previous relationships.
Not sure it would be Motorbase. Can’t see jackson or hill going. Osborne family own the company and if it was neate why would he of come back at brands just to leave straight after
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4058789)   #3671
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Not sure it would be Motorbase. Can’t see jackson or hill going. Osborne family own the company and if it was neate why would he of come back at brands just to leave straight after
I can see Neate going. He's had some time off, come back and maybe realised he doesn't miss it as much as he thought he would. Especially as his son is now old enough to race in the UK and is doing well. He might prefer to be a racer dad at weekends rather than trying to do both.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4058827)   #3672
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
I can see Neate going. He's had some time off, come back and maybe realised he doesn't miss it as much as he thought he would. Especially as his son is now old enough to race in the UK and is doing well. He might prefer to be a racer dad at weekends rather than trying to do both.
Yes I was quite impressed with Aiden Neate's first race in F4. Not too shabby
Old 29 Jun 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4058904)   #3673
S griffin
Veteran

Having thought more about the Bushell rumour and who he is going to replace, I personally would like to see him replace Smelt at Toyota. Sam has done nothing so far and hasn’t looked like he is going to improve anytime soon, so I would like to see Bushell make better use of that seat. Him and Butcher would be a good team
Old 29 Jun 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4058907)   #3674
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Having thought more about the Bushell rumour and who he is going to replace, I personally would like to see him replace Smelt at Toyota. Sam has done nothing so far and hasn’t looked like he is going to improve anytime soon, so I would like to see Bushell make better use of that seat. Him and Butcher would be a good team
Agree on this but isn't Smelt quite essential to Speedworks' ability to run the second car?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4058911)   #3675
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Agree on this but isn't Smelt quite essential to Speedworks' ability to run the second car?

If that’s the case, you have to ask what the point was on expanding to two cars with factory backing?