Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Aug 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3998718)   #2476
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
This must be getting boring for you all . Did few laps this morning and still had a missfire after one lap but this time it seems like a HT lead missfire .We have just fitted a STACK taco . If it’s playing up then the towel in going in and I’m having a break .
Has it got a rev limiter fitted?
Old 29 Aug 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3998738)   #2477
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
2.5 PSI is far too low for my Capri for instance but I must admit that the float bowl capacity is too small for a 6 cylinder. I had some issues with the Omex rev-limiter and sent it to the bin. Happy since… The Stack Clubman turned us mad sometimes and on Jean Marc's E-Type, we had to add a small device if you're using a MSD ignition box, there's a lot of literature on the net about that. Joke apart, check if your coil is the right model, no ballast for instance.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3998740)   #2478
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You're a great driver and mechanic, you know your car/engine better than anybody, try some laps with the taco disconnected. You can check the needle valve too, must be the larger available (300, right?) and have a higher fuel pressure.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3998772)   #2479
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webers say 2 to 4 PSI . And any more will push past the needle valve .
Check delivery rate , should be 1 pint in 30 secs .Also important to get float levels right .
But as Tim said , has the Stack got a limiter fitted
Old 29 Aug 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3998777)   #2480
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I remember the Stack having the Tell-Tale or shift light system built in but no rev limiter.

Another usual suspect we dont suspect enough is the battery itself.

Last edited by Gerard C; 29 Aug 2020 at 18:46.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3998784)   #2481
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I remember the Stack having the Tell-Tale or shift light system built in but no rev limiter.

Another usual suspect we dont suspect enough is the battery itself.
Good call - I've been wondering whether a volt meter might show something going on?
Old 29 Aug 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3998794)   #2482
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We checked the fuel pressure and it has been tried at different numbers. It made no difference at all. I think we all agreed between 2.5 -3 psi is what is normal when running Weber side draughts. All through my racing career I have used 2.5psi and never had a problem

We always ran 3.5psi on the E-type.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 05:28 (Ref:3998811)   #2483
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
David the thing can be vicious far beyond what you can expect. The voltage you read can be acceptable when cold for instance.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 05:49 (Ref:3998812)   #2484
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Iain if you're waiting for a good answer start from the beginning and ask yourself what has been done on the car, not only the engine, since it was working fine. We call that to mentally rewind the film…Remember the nice girl on the beach!
Old 30 Aug 2020, 06:37 (Ref:3998815)   #2485
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Gerrard .Last winter i replaced the bag tank . We will go home and start again .I always use vacuum cleaner to suck in the tank . We think that maybe I have pulled all the foam up the tank to the outlet ..Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions . Keeping me going . I did have a drive in FJ race here at Oulton but the pinion has stripped on diff. Blooming motor racing !!!!!
Old 30 Aug 2020, 09:52 (Ref:3998839)   #2486
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thanks Gerrard .Last winter i replaced the bag tank . We will go home and start again .I always use vacuum cleaner to suck in the tank . We think that maybe I have pulled all the foam up the tank to the outlet ..Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions . Keeping me going . I did have a drive in FJ race here at Oulton but the pinion has stripped on diff. Blooming motor racing !!!!!
It is possible you have a fuel problem . Running for a lap or two then missing could be that the fuel is not getting through fast enough .
Check pickup in the tank for possible blockages , [ latest petrols can gum up if left for some time ] , check inline filter & pump filter if it has one .
Fuel pumps do not last forever .
Check delivery rate , [ at least 1 pint in 30 seconds ].
Old 30 Aug 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3998859)   #2487
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Iain, never give up is a good by word! As to CWP we had a bad joke when racing the 996, we "invented" the changing diff rate because we used to lose at least one tooth out of the pinion during enduro races! When you think about the cost of the thing, not mentioning labour… Easy to spot when draining the oil!
A clogged outlet can be guilty after few laps. Go on and please keep us informed.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3999202)   #2488
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check the needle valves and entry pipes to carbs for debris. I had a similar problem a couple of seasons ago and it ended up being a piece of debris from break up of the end of the fuel pipe in the needle valve chamber being dragged down under load to block the needle valve.

Pete Richards
Old 1 Sep 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3999368)   #2489
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
It will take too long to tell you what we did to the car at Oulton. Summery now is I am going to be lent a pair of carbs for Silverstone finals. "keep taking the pills"
Old 1 Sep 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3999376)   #2490
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You dont need pills, Iain. Strange enough I've been convinced over the years that carbs can dye, specially crappy Solexes. We bought 3 sets of brand new PMO's a while ago, two were perfect… Last year I seem to remember you had issues with a battery, are you sure it went to the bin? Never give up!
Old 1 Sep 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3999386)   #2491
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My personal guru suggests you could apologize to the marabout. She asks if one day you made pee on a totem? Which side…*
Old 1 Sep 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3999387)   #2492
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Iain, have you tried looking at the distributor condenser? They can some times account for a misfire or even not firing at all.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3999496)   #2493
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Iain, have you tried looking at the distributor condenser? They can some times account for a misfire or even not firing at all.
I think that he has lost interest at the moment however it is an all electronic dizzy Mike.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Sep 2020, 18:12 (Ref:3999502)   #2494
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Sorry Mike . We have changed dizzy three times . Two luminition and now on pertronic . Will fit loaned carbs and test before we head off to Spa . If it happens .If all is well then I will enter Silverstone finals .
Old 1 Sep 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3999505)   #2495
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you try a Bosch or Beru or MSD coil?
Old 1 Sep 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3999514)   #2496
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Now who can this man be on the right hand side of me and Mrs S ? A lot of you old timers would have bought certain articles off of his firm to make your car look and handle a little better a few years ago. He popped round for a chat in our garden and a meal at our local pub today
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200901_160959 (2).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	927.0 KB
ID:	63928
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Sep 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3999707)   #2497
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it Jeff Howe?
Old 2 Sep 2020, 23:00 (Ref:3999715)   #2498
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Is it Jeff Howe?
Sorry Peter but no, Jeff Howe died years ago but I remember buying exhaust manifolds off of him in the 60s ! I've known the guy in the picture since 1968 when my old girlfriend used to work for him. A lot of people would have bought his products and would know the name but might not have met him.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 2 Sep 2020 at 23:15.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 05:03 (Ref:3999724)   #2499
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tony Law?
Jean François Esso? Jean Michel Mobil? Christian Total? Pieter Swarovski?
Old 3 Sep 2020, 05:54 (Ref:3999729)   #2500
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gordon Spice?
Closed Thread