Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 May 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4053436)   #1
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Donington CSCC and CTCRC

Busy weekend at Donny - CSCC have over 500 entries (believed to be a record) for the two-day meet on Saturday and Sunday, and CTCRC have nearly 200 on Monday, so a whole feast of entertainment for any dedicated spectators.

Entry list for CSCC on this link - click "Entry List" for a pdf: https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/donington

Entry list for CTCRC on here: https://classictouringcars.com/

I'd say if coming to Donington on the Sunday come and say "Hello" - but I think they are still enforcing the "no public in the paddock" rule, somewhat bizarrely.
Old 26 May 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4053486)   #2
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
It's so good to see such full grids. I think we were all afraid that the padnemic would devastate club motorsport but that very much hasn't happened.

Spoilt for choice this weekend with Masters at Brands as well! Three days in a row is a little much so I'll be doing Brands on Sat and CTCRC on Mon. I hope to catch similarly thriving CSCC grids later in the year.
Old 26 May 2021, 22:00 (Ref:4053499)   #3
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent grids for both events.

CTCRC meeting will be shown live on Monday, You Tube link below.
I'm not sure of broadcast times, best to check Monday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8Z...HnX9v&index=13
Old 26 May 2021, 22:09 (Ref:4053502)   #4
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping to get to the Monday meeting, but I probably won't get home from work until 11pm on Sunday night and it's a 2.5 hour drive if the roads are clear, so a late morning arrival is expected.
Old 27 May 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4053573)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm marshalling on Monday and I must say that the entry list looks very, very good indeed!
Old 27 May 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4053602)   #6
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Excellent grids for both events.

CTCRC meeting will be shown live on Monday, You Tube link below.
I'm not sure of broadcast times, best to check Monday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8Z...HnX9v&index=13

CSCC is live-streaming too:

" live streaming of all afternoon races will take place on our main Facebook page and Youtube channel. Follow or subscribe now and you can then share these links with your adoring fans.
https://www.facebook.com/ClassicSportsCarClub
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicSportsCarClub "

Afternoon races start at 14.15 on Saturday and 13.50 on Sunday

Gilbert the Gilbern - Mike's old car will be in the first race on Sunday afternoon - I'm in the last so don't wait up
Old 27 May 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4053603)   #7
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am spectating on Sunday and Monday having chosen that over Masters at Brands Hatch. Every race has a stunning entry but the Special Saloons and V8s is exceptional. So much for Covid killing the sport. Long drive from Wiltshire but should be a great weekend. Be good to be in warm sunshine as well after freezing to death at Silverstone last weekend
Old 28 May 2021, 04:35 (Ref:4053631)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
CSCC is live-streaming too:

" live streaming of all afternoon races will take place on our main Facebook page and Youtube channel. Follow or subscribe now and you can then share these links with your adoring fans.
https://www.facebook.com/ClassicSportsCarClub
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicSportsCarClub "

Afternoon races start at 14.15 on Saturday and 13.50 on Sunday

Gilbert the Gilbern - Mike's old car will be in the first race on Sunday afternoon - I'm in the last so don't wait up
Thanks for the links Lanks
I will be watching with interest.
Old 28 May 2021, 15:46 (Ref:4053678)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Opening my motorsport season with a trip on Sunday. CSCC have great and varied grids but the Saloons/Modsport/Bernie's/V8s is a cracker.
Old 28 May 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4053707)   #10
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on Sunday racing the E30 BMW in Future Classics.

If the forecast is anywhere near accurate, then we're in for a nice day, fingers crossed.

I even, fleetingly, considered not even bothering taking the 'wets' - but that would be tempting fate wouldn't it?
Old 30 May 2021, 21:25 (Ref:4053983)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will take something special to beat todays meeting. Lovely grids and some cracking races. Weather was also very nice.
Old 31 May 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4054000)   #12
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
It was a bit weird from my point of view as my race partner (who owns the car) announced on Sunday morning that he wasn't really "feeling it" - and would I do the full race?...... I didn't really have much option, so of course said "Yes" - but could have wished for a cooler day. Did the qualy and felt the brakes fading after 20 minutes or so, so pitted, but decided with a change of driving style the race would be OK. Fortunately (for me) in the race just as the brakes were getting long, there was a 3-lap safety car period which brought them back, so I ended the day 20th from 31 starters (we lost a lot in qualifying!) - although admittedly only 21 finishers.......but 3rd in class and third fastest pit stop (apart from those who were too quick! )

Sadly PaulD of this parish (previous Race Winner, he'd like me to remind you ) had to retire near the end of the race with a major transmission vibration - as yet undiagnosed.....

As mentioned elsewhere, met up with Gilbert the Gilbern's custodians, Peter and MG David, and also Wayne Langridge, Mustang pilot..... who borrowed PaulD's seat belt lower harness as he'd somehow left his behind..... True Club Motorsport, though - helping each other out.

Overall a great day out, meeting good friends, and enjoying the vibe. Better still one of my Godsons came down with his 3-year-old son who enjoyed clambering around the race car and asking lots of questions....and apparently now aspires to be a racing driver....catch 'em young!
Old 31 May 2021, 06:10 (Ref:4054012)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed my two outings in Magnificent 7s, but safety cars in both races. I was very fortunate to be able to take avoiding action exiting the chicane as there were two cars and debris across the track after a coming together. I was unsighted because of my own battle but the guy in front of me jinked so far left he had to take the pit lane! I managed to make it through a gap between a car and a wheel hub!
Anyway, I had several good battles and got my elbows out a couple of times. At the end, the people I was battling with and I all congratulated ourselves on good clean fun.
Finished 20th in race 1 but not sure how! I think i benefitted from the safety cars and other peoples penalties!
25th in race two finished behind SC.
Good to be on track again.
I wasn’t planning to go back to Donington on Sunday but got a call on Sunday morning at 10:30 to ask if I could volunteer to be safety car observer as the usual observer had gone sick. Mrs97 wasn’t too annoyed and I sat in the BMW with the air con on at the end of the pit until 16:30 when I was relieved by another volunteer so I could get away for my second vaccination.
We were deployed a few times and it was interesting to be on the other side of things and listen in to (& be part of) the comms with race control.
I did see a couple of tenthers at lunchtime but didn’t have time to find Richard, sorry.

Last edited by andy97; 31 May 2021 at 06:17.
Old 31 May 2021, 09:50 (Ref:4054038)   #14
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It was a bit weird from my point of view as my race partner (who owns the car) announced on Sunday morning that he wasn't really "feeling it" - and would I do the full race?...... I didn't really have much option, so of course said "Yes" - but could have wished for a cooler day.
Richard, you should have rung!
Old 31 May 2021, 10:37 (Ref:4054042)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Originally posted in Gilbert the Gilbern but equally relevant here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was great fun, thank you for inviting me. David and I have honours even for lap times, I was fastest in qually, he got the race fastest.

It was interesting when we all lost you! (David disappeared to the assembly area when we weren't looking, cue much scratching of heads. I eventually found him at the head of the assembly queue). I found the car to be much easier to drift than my MGB (which tells me we need to sort that out) and could get on the gas much earlier than I had been able to do at the 1 May meeting. We did get pinged for track limits and lost our fastest lap in qually but we still finished well. Come the race, David took us up to 33rd having spent much time swapping places with an MGB, in my stint we got to 28th but I confess it was pretty busy, on one particular lap I overtook a blue Elan at Coppice and ran down to the chicane where I came up behind a B, when I tried to out brake the B , the Elan shot in front of both of us and having better brakes, brake tested both of us, just as a line of faster cars took advantage! I came through the chicane off cam and lost a bit of time. But crucially it was all clean and no contact whatsoever. This would be the story of my stint, because every time I got into position to overtake, the race leaders or the faster cars would bring out the blue flags so progress was hampered. Anyway, my job was to bring Gilbert home unscathed and we achieved that in spades.

Another humorous episode was the flying stuffed animal. Mike's lucky cuddly toy broke loose and spent my stint rolling around the passenger footwell. Fortunately it endured the experience unscathed! Will be reinstalled using a restraint of some kind.

Yup, good to say hi to Lancy.

Good to bump elbows Andy also good to hear you had a good race on Saturday.

Yes we were elevated to the aristocracy this weekend.

This was my first taste of the CSCC and it was a pleasant experience in a lovely car.
Old 31 May 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4054102)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watched the YouTube coverage of today's racing, and am curious to know the reasoning for CTCRC permitting the Anglias to run with pre-crossflow 1500 engines because as far as I can recall, they were never produced by FMC. Maybe Robyn of this parish will know, as he pilots one in the pre 66 series?
Old 31 May 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4054112)   #17
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Really enjoyable day at Donington today (Monday) with CTCRC. I have absolutely no idea what a pre-crossflow 1500 engine is, but I do know that there was a large, fabulously varied and interesting collection of cars on today's grids, from tiny little Imps in Pre-66 to flame-spitting monsters in Thunder. A lovely way to spend a day in the sun.
Old 31 May 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4054119)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I spent the day up at Coppice and had an uncharacteristically quiet day. The racing was great though, some fabulous battles through various fields. Well done all.
Old 31 May 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4054143)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a very pretty Alfa Zagato Junior in Paddock 2 on Saturday but I didn’t see it race on Saturday or Sunday, nor does it seem to be in the results. Anyone know any more?
Old 31 May 2021, 21:54 (Ref:4054149)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
There was a very pretty Alfa Zagato Junior in Paddock 2 on Saturday but I didn’t see it race on Saturday or Sunday, nor does it seem to be in the results. Anyone know any more?
Can't help with that Andy - but also on Sunday behind the garages there was a beautiful little coupe badged as an Italia 2000. I've not heard of that before but it was dark green and LHD and very desirable, my sort of car.
Old 31 May 2021, 22:29 (Ref:4054151)   #21
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Really enjoyable day at Donington today (Monday) with CTCRC. I have absolutely no idea what a pre-crossflow 1500 engine is, but I do know that there was a large, fabulously varied and interesting collection of cars on today's grids, from tiny little Imps in Pre-66 to flame-spitting monsters in Thunder. A lovely way to spend a day in the sun.
I can only second this - a very enjoyable day spent overlooking the Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin in the sunshine.
Old 31 May 2021, 22:42 (Ref:4054153)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Can't help with that Andy - but also on Sunday behind the garages there was a beautiful little coupe badged as an Italia 2000. I've not heard of that before but it was dark green and LHD and very desirable, my sort of car.
Does not ring any bells and I didn’t see it, sadly, but a quick google comes up with this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Italia
Was this it?
Old 31 May 2021, 22:54 (Ref:4054154)   #23
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Richard has already alluded to above, my race didn't exactly go according to plan!

I'd qualified 13th O/A & 2nd in class, which was OK, but there were three other cars in my class that had qualified right behind me. So with my 30 second penalty to serve at the pit stop, I figured I'd have a battle on my hands to retain that position of 2nd in class.

However, by the time I pitted just a little over 10 minutes in, I was 2nd in class and I'd already pulled out a gap to the next guy in the class which suggested that I may have been able to overcome the penalty and get the 2nd place.

But it wasn't to be as, with about seven minutes remaining - and at that moment 3rd in class and gaining on the 2nd placed car which was a few seconds ahead - coming down the straight after Coppice, there was an almighty bang followed by massive vibration and I couldn't get gears. I managed to cruise back to the pits, but it was game over sadly.

Still, a very enjoyable meeting with a fantastically diverse selection of cars racing in fine weather conditions. What's not to like? I think any spectators were treated to a good weekend of proper club motorsport.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 06:19 (Ref:4054168)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Does not ring any bells and I didn’t see it, sadly, but a quick google comes up with this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Italia
Was this it?
It was- I saw it too and it was stunning , and so much prettier than the poor old TR3 which spawned it.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 10:32 (Ref:4054190)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It was- I saw it too and it was stunning , and so much prettier than the poor old TR3 which spawned it.
Yes that's it - simply gorgeous little thing and presumably with TR3 engine fairly quick and reliable. I wonder how many survive?