Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1667870)   #1
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Spa 24 hrs on Player TV - professional coverage?

I am pleased to see FIA GT racing on TV, but how serious is a tv company that joins the race half a lap after the start, and then take a 2 min advert break with 1 min to go so that we don't see the winner chequered flagged over the line?

Surely they need to employ someone in production that knows what a race is about, and when to time ad breaks.

I know a number of race commentators read this forum, if anyone involved can shed some light on these stange editing decisions I and I'm sure others would love to hear.

Steve
Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1667872)   #2
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's certainly at the unprofessional level that ITV showed at Imola last year.

I can't believe that after 24 hours they need to take an ad break at that point, especially when the first part of the ad break is for a channel I'malready watching.... Duh?!

Someone there needs a talking to, seriously!
Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1667876)   #3
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, but would be willing to forgive them if they respond to our concerns and next year (assuming it is a multi year deal) it does not happen.

BUT

My main concern is the apparant lack of awareness that the channel shows anything more than poker - just look at their website (www.player.tv), plus I sent several emails in the weeks before the race to try and find out their plans for showing the race, all went unanswered - hardly professional!
Old 30 Jul 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1668027)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't watch a great deal of their coverage but I couldn't believe it when they cut to a commercial half way around the warmup lap and then returned to the race towards the end of the first flying lap. That's just unforgivable for race coverage.

Somehow they managed to make the same mistake for the end of the race too, cutting to a commericial with 2 minutes left of the race and then returning to the coverage with the winners standing on their car waving flags.

Two of the most crucial stages in a motor race and they decide to show adverts instead.

MotorsTV seem to show more trailers for their FIA GT highlights package than Player do on their own station for the live coverage. Here's hoping Player only got it on a 1 year deal...
Old 30 Jul 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1668353)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst I agree that Player didnt really do a good job for this years Spa 24hrs in fairness the rest of the coverage they have given to the FIA GT championship has been pretty good. IMO. Motorsport is a new market for Player and they are on a pretty steep learning curve, im not saying what they did today is okay because it isnt but hopefully they will learn from this and it wont happen again.

Player arent the first Channel to make a mistake whilst broadcasting the FIA GT championship, a unnamed pan European channel has in the past made this kind of mistake and cut to a badly timed advert break, and they werent only like it for the FIA GT championship either. Thats when they bothered to stick to their TV listings. Personally im willing to forgive Player this time and let this blunder slip this time, if however it happens regularly it may well become a bigger issue. This is the only time they have messed up so far this season and hopefully it will be the last time too. At least they are giving full live coverage of this years regular FIA GT races...
Old 30 Jul 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1668370)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure it has been said before, but Player is simply not a motorsport channel, so what do you expect?

SRO tend to do one year deals for TV production, so I expect they will look at it again for next year.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1668376)   #7
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I'm sure it has been said before, but Player is simply not a motorsport channel, so what do you expect?

SRO tend to do one year deals for TV production, so I expect they will look at it again for next year.

That's rubbish! They're a TV channel, ITV isn't a motorsport channel, but they haven't made the same mistake twice, Player managed it at both ends of the same race...

Surely anyone, with at least a small amount of intelligence and common sense knows that the two most important parts of a motor race are the beginning and the end...

So which two bits did they screw up?
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1668679)   #8
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC reported on the Le Mans 24hr coverage on both MotorsTV and Player. They said that Player showed similar coverage of Le Mans as they did Spa. At Le Mans they also missed the start and finish of the race due to adverts, pretty unforgivable really.
I personally think that the coverage, adverts aside, isn't too bad. The commentary is quite good and at least we get the whole race(almost). But the coverage is very unprofessional on the part of both Player and the TV production team. Often the images and sound have no relation ,although Spa was better, and at most circuits there aren't enough cameras which means we get 6 cameras for the whole track and dull coverage. Players promotion is terrible and close to non-existent.
I really hope this is a one year deal for Player or that they come back next year with a completely new, and much improved package. I think the fact that Player won the contract to broadcast the series shows how little competition there must have been form other broadcasters.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1669142)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Showing FIA GT on Player is a waste of time.

NOBODY is aware they show the bloody series, it doesn't matter how good or bad the coverage is.

If the average guy on the street wants to watch a little motorsport they switch through the sports channels.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1669192)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
That's rubbish! They're a TV channel, ITV isn't a motorsport channel, but they haven't made the same mistake twice, Player managed it at both ends of the same race...
If you're comparing Player with ITV, then that's a rubbish comparison! You should at least compare like with like.

Just have a look at the Player website, as suggested earlier, then you might understand better why the channel is as it is.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1669245)   #11
Audi R8R
Racer

How can you say it's a rubbish comparison? They're a TV channel, it doesn't take someone with vast amounts of experience in broadcasting to know that the most important parts of a motor race for the people watching are the start, the overtakes and the finish...

Whether they're focusing on Poker or other things, they have the contract and missing two of the most important aspects of the most prestigious race of the season is, frankly, amatuerish. Someone needs talking to if that's how they think the coverage should be run.

It would be like showing the world poker final live and cutting to comercials just as the final cards are being turned over... hardly pleasing for the advert watching punters. Nothing better to make someone not watch a tv channel (and therefore, not watch your advertisers adverts) than ****ing off the viewers.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1669251)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Someone needs talking to if that's how they think the coverage should be run.
Sound like just the job for you, as you're such an expert.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1669254)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Sound like just the job for you, as you're such an expert.
Coudnt have put it better myself.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1669488)   #14
Audi R8R
Racer

I'd know not to go to a commercial break at the start and the end of a motor race, any motor race. I'd say that puts me several steps ahead of the person in charge on Saturday and Sunday.

If the pair of you have to resort to personal insults as you disagree with a person's post then I suggest you take a long hard look at what you've posted in the past, especially you Saleen S7R, there's been a number of times I have had to correct you in the past. And I'm not the only one...

There are a number of people on here that have expert 'knowledge' of what they speak. Shame a great deal of the 'fans' don't listen to what they're saying half the time and just carry on posting regardless of what's been written before.

Regards
AudiR8R

Last edited by Audi R8R; 31 Jul 2006 at 23:54.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1669739)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
there's been a number of times I have had to correct you in the past. And I'm not the only one...
Sometimes I do make mistakes yes, you do also though, but perhaps not so often. Although this is generally because you tend not to post as often as myself and others here, therefore shouldnt make as many mistakes! You have however in the past slipped up more than once yourself. There is one big differnce between the majority of members here and yourself, most people here dont profess to be experts. You do. Whether or not you are is down to personal opinion...
Old 1 Aug 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1669768)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
What I said in my last post was not a personal insult; I was just trying to inject a little humour into the discussion, although since you started by describing my innocuous first post as 'rubbish', you should not be surprised to get something similar in return.

Of course it was very poor indeed to miss the first lap and the last lap of the race, inexcusable even, but everyone knows and agrees that, so it's hardly worth banging on about it.

That sort of thing is down to Player. Maybe they have commercial breaks scheduled for every hour on the hour or something like that. Who knows?

FWIW, I don't think much of the coverage either. There aren't enough cameras and the commentary is, well, lugubrious. Compare the coverage of Le Mans by MotorsTV.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and I suspect this was the cheapest deal on the table
Old 1 Aug 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1669773)   #17
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Sometimes I do make mistakes yes, you do also though, but perhaps not so often. Although this is generally because you tend not to post as often as myself and others here, therefore shouldnt make as many mistakes! You have however in the past slipped up more than once yourself. There is one big differnce between the majority of members here and yourself, most people here dont profess to be experts. You do. Whether or not you are is down to personal opinion...
Ever thought that the reason I don't post as often is because I may not know the answer and am not able to reply?

And please, show me, tell me, where I have ever said that I am an expert?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1672455)   #18
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Player does show its commercial breaks evenly spaced at the same time every hour, and that is what is causing the problem.

For any other programme it isn't a problem... but none of the channels in that group have ever had to deal with live events like this before, so they probably never even thought about it.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1673420)   #19
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strider was almost certainly right when he said that Player Tv was the cheapest deal, SRO have a history of making decisions purely on price, irespective of the quality of product/service offered. However the expect their customers to play a premium price for a usually porr quality product.

If you pay SRO enough money they will hold a race in your local supermarket car park, the fact there isn't enough space doesn't matter!
Old 7 Aug 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1677140)   #20
hindy
Racer

hindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Player does show its commercial breaks evenly spaced at the same time every hour, and that is what is causing the problem.

For any other programme it isn't a problem... but none of the channels in that group have ever had to deal with live events like this before, so they probably never even thought about it.

Exactly right and I am guessing that they are automated - ie there's no-one 'back at base' to fire off the ad breaks - keeps costs down. It's what Speed do during the part of Le Mans that RLM covers for them. hook into the live 'international' feed and then they tell us what time and how long the ads are...

If Player can't move their breaks (not that hard....but hey ho) wouldn't it be sensible for the series to understand that and schedule their start/finish at 5 mins to or 5 mins past an hour...
Old 8 Aug 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1677482)   #21
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

I haven't seen the Player TV Spa 24 Hour coverage or the MOTORS TV highlights but I have watched all the other FIA GT coverage on Player TV and have been very grateful for it. Personally I think the commentators, Richard and Graham do a pretty good job during the normal races.

Yes I would agree that advert breaks timed as they were for the 24 hr are pretty naff and even I was sceptical of Player TV as THE channel for the FIA GT series but they have shown all the race length of the normal races which is an improvement over Eurosport. Thank goodness we get as much motorsport coverage on TV these days as I can assure you it has been pretty dire during my lifetime.

Nick
Old 8 Aug 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1677841)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Personally I think the commentators, Richard and Graham do a pretty good job during the normal races'

No ones complaining about the comentators, but the promotion, editing/ad breaks and general feeling the FIA GT coverage is stuck out in the wilderness of the SKY schedule do the series no favours.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1677902)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Whereas Eurosport did a fantastic job promoting the series and offering full live interrupted coverage. At least with Player we get full live interrupted coverage for the regular races plus a highlights package that is shown multiple times unlike Eurosport who only ocassionally gave full live coverage to the series and a highlights programme that was shown maybe once or twice.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1677909)   #24
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

I would agree that at face value, Player TV is a strange choice for a major motorsport series considering virtually 99% of their air-time is devoted to poker and the channel is not listed within the sports category on the Sky listings. So its a bit surprising that they cover the whole race from build up to presentation, but I like it.

Nick
Old 13 Aug 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1681328)   #25
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
finally saw some footage on C4 yesterday morning in the UK. 26 minutes (if it was that much) doesn't really do it justice- I could've watched 26 minutes of the cars going into Eau Rouge alone--- and when you've heard them for real recently, the (very) limited frequency response of my tv speaker does remind you of the bomber-like drone of the Corvettes