Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Jun 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2239182)   #1
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R Factor

What is R Factor because i cant find it anywhere tbh??

Also what do people think about the realism of racing games, i think it is to easy to overtake etc, and the saftey aspect can be awful i feel they should involve us marshals more, what do other people think??

Cheers
Old 28 Jun 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2239218)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
www.rfactor.net
www.rfactorcentral.com
Old 28 Jun 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2239234)   #3
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race three or four nights a week at race-connect and we use rFactor, GTR2 and Race 07.

The realism is there, ok you dont get the sounds and you dont feel the impacts, but then again you dont get the expense of rebuilds and repairs. When you are racing the AI then yes it is easy to overtake as the AI has one line and will stick to it, you enter an online race where you are racing against say 15 other guys from around the world, then overtaking is not as easy. I thought I was quick, beating the AI time and time again, since I began on line racing 5months ago I am not as quick as I thought. The whole experience is a great social occassion we use teamspeak so can chat freely, the competitive feel is great and at the end of say a 67 lap F1 race at Fuji there is a great feeling of satisfation at just finishing. have a look at Race Connect there is a community developing there with forums etc, help with the different mods,

There is a new league starting soon which is using low powered mods at British tracks, making it a more even field,

Last edited by Dean Watson; 28 Jun 2008 at 11:56.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2240136)   #4
YZ250
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
YZ250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal_man
What is R Factor because i cant find it anywhere tbh??

Also what do people think about the realism of racing games, i think it is to easy to overtake etc, and the saftey aspect can be awful i feel they should involve us marshals more, what do other people think??

Cheers
Using the term game and rFactor is a no no, its a sim, and hence is not easy like a console type racer. Console type games have their place and can be fun, but true purists who want to learn race craft will go for rFactor and the likes everytime.

Your $50 odd dollars you pay for the initial game, then opens up a plethora of mods for tracks and vehicles. Go to www.rfactorcentral and view the available vehicles and tracks, all free to the rFactor community.

Marshalling. I run a racing community Adrenalin Factor www.adrenalinfactor.com and we like other groups during our race series do in fact have designated Marshalls. Most of the scrutineering is done after the Rounds races , with Replays being reveiwed. Offending Drivers are then issued penalties were required.

Let me know if you would like ang more information, id be only to happy to help.

YZ
Old 30 Jun 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2240775)   #5
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really really useless at setting up games, but i want to start getting into r Factor. Is it simple to add extra tracks and old cars? I'm wanting to setup loads of circuits like the old Imola, Austria, Monaco etc, plus UK and world club circuits like Croft, Donny, Oulton and that. Along with F1 cars from 1950s to Present day, and sports cars, touring cars, Indy cars etc. Not asking alot am i , but is it easy enough to download and setup plenty of tracks and cars ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 30 Jun 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2241018)   #6
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, all ya need to do is understand what file go where and then it's easy. alot of mods will come with instructions too, have a look at racesimcentral and rfactorcentral for all you'd need to know.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2241045)   #7
YZ250
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
I'm really really useless at setting up games, but i want to start getting into r Factor. Is it simple to add extra tracks and old cars? I'm wanting to setup loads of circuits like the old Imola, Austria, Monaco etc, plus UK and world club circuits like Croft, Donny, Oulton and that. Along with F1 cars from 1950s to Present day, and sports cars, touring cars, Indy cars etc. Not asking alot am i , but is it easy enough to download and setup plenty of tracks and cars ?
Gday James,

As mentioned its very easy, but also depends how the creator has zipped up the mod or track, if you understand basic file structures and folders you will have no problem at all. That said they are all different and we get the odd one that causes a problem. If you go to our site , we have guys on Team Speak that can talk you through any problems.

Cheers,

YZ
Old 1 Jul 2008, 01:22 (Ref:2241065)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have been a grand lover of LFS since the first release..
but rFactor is so good with the mods and all.
the new Historic GT mod is the best.
but make sure you get the Supertrucks
(truckseries 2.0)
so many mods...
lots of very good ones.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2241708)   #9
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
is it best for me to buy the CD or download this r factor lite from the official site ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 1 Jul 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2241749)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
makes no difference, all the same stuff. most people grabbed the installer from rfactor.net then bought a license thru the in game screens.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2241908)   #11
Rob_G
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincoln
Rob_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
is it best for me to buy the CD or download this r factor lite from the official site ?
Hey,

The easy way to get rFactor is to buy from the official site (www.rfactor.net) and buy a Unlock Code.. Can't be more Simple!

1) Download the game Here
(I would use This Download from gamershell.com)

2) To buy with PayPal, click Here
To buy with Moneybookers click Here

3) Install the game that you downloaded, Enter the Unlock Code you baught.. Then Play!

So simple.. Or if you don't trust buying stuff off the internet, go buy the DVD :P

-Rob.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.40GHz - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H - OCZ 4GB DDR3 - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB - 240GB Seagate Barracuda - Logitech G25 - LG 26" LCD Monitor - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 -Sennheiser HD 205 Headphones
Old 2 Jul 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2242135)   #12
vuko
Rookie

Australia
Narooma, NSW.
vuko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you use wireless broadband or a high speed dial up to play R factor online.....I have not got access to ADSL broadband...I have satelite broadband but it is hopeless for online stuff.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2242159)   #13
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
depends, what's the upload and download speeds of your connection? rFactor's net code is extremely efficient, as long as you've got around 512kb or more download you should be fine.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2242235)   #14
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This laptop has on-board graphics, and when I first got it I tried copying my install from our ol PC across (v1150 I think). It didn't run, just crashed on the track loading screen. That was towards the end of last year.

I was going through some old bookmarks and found RFC, and wondered if the TCL mod was done yet (it isn't, but its still worth waiting for!), and noticed rF Lite.

'Hmm, 100mb, newer version might work?'' I thought.

Downloaded, installed.

Apart from a warning box saying that the PC specs were below the minimum specifications, it booted and ran. Got to the track and it ran! Yes, rF works without a proper graphics card!

OK OK, its very low res, and FPS is in the 25 range (single car on track), but its useable!

Anyway, activated my account again and I've got most of the mods I used before (Lupo Cup, Caterhams, 2CV's, V8SC), and on the way to getting the tracks back.

Don't know if my connection (wireless 2MB) will run without too much lag, but what does everyone drive online these days? Space is a premium on this HDD so I'm not getting the Meganes again. And is the RACE mod conversion still around?
Old 3 Jul 2008, 02:41 (Ref:2242749)   #15
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
This laptop has on-board graphics, and when I first got it I tried copying my install from our ol PC across (v1150 I think). It didn't run, just crashed on the track loading screen. That was towards the end of last year.

I was going through some old bookmarks and found RFC, and wondered if the TCL mod was done yet (it isn't, but its still worth waiting for!), and noticed rF Lite.

'Hmm, 100mb, newer version might work?'' I thought.

Downloaded, installed.

Apart from a warning box saying that the PC specs were below the minimum specifications, it booted and ran. Got to the track and it ran! Yes, rF works without a proper graphics card!

OK OK, its very low res, and FPS is in the 25 range (single car on track), but its useable!

Anyway, activated my account again and I've got most of the mods I used before (Lupo Cup, Caterhams, 2CV's, V8SC), and on the way to getting the tracks back.

Don't know if my connection (wireless 2MB) will run without too much lag, but what does everyone drive online these days? Space is a premium on this HDD so I'm not getting the Meganes again. And is the RACE mod conversion still around?
Congratulations on getting it running. I wouldn't have bothered with anything less than an Intel X3100. Your connection should be fine, however you might experience some latency spikes occasionally.

The Race mod conversion is still available, and the new patch came out today: http://www.virtualr.net/race-x-125-released/
Old 7 Jul 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2245927)   #16
YZ250
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
TCL ( Touring Car Legends) Mod has not been released as yet
Old 8 Jul 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2247367)   #17
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
I've bought it, and got some of the mods to work like Gp79, Euro F3 etc, just having some trouble with the circuits, i can drag them over and they appear on the menu but they dont load at all. Also im having trouble driving the car decently, its spinning alot, what am i doing wrong ?

Brilliant
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2248433)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
taking advice from Massa?

Paste the filepath of one of the tracks you're having issues with, preferably with a MAS file at the end of it (ie rFactor\GameData\Locations\Barcelona\Barcelona.mas ) and i'll see if i can figure out where its wrong for you.

As for cars spinning, you mean the F1 79? Its far from an easy car to start your rFactor life with, i'm throwing it off plenty still and i've been rf'ing for nearly 3 years now!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2248740)   #19
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Locations\Imola_1994\Imola_1994.mas

On both GP79 and F12008 in crap

But i am using the keyboard.

Advice ?

Brilliant
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2248760)   #20
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your problem is that inside the Locations folder. Imola_1994 needs putting inside a folder called Imola. So the path would be

c:\...rfactor\gamedata\locations\imola\imola_1994

Another tip, guy buy yourself a wheel. It can be any old wheel, doesn't even have be a fancy one like a Frex or Logitech G25 or have FFB, but a wheel will certainly help with controlling the cars.

Last edited by S.Moss; 10 Jul 2008 at 17:50.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2248773)   #21
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Sam beat me to it Yer most (but not all) tracks will have 2 folders before they get to a MAS file, and should be packed that way too. Its to deal with different track configs such as Oulton/OultonInternational and Oulton/OultonIsland etc without having too many folders under the locations one.

Keyb is a mare to control anything. There are some controller settings that you might tweak to make it easier, but try some less evil cars to get used to it first. The Japan F3 http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...ormula3%202007 is probably a good open wheeler to start, very driveable - far more so than the other F3 variants
Old 10 Jul 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2248775)   #22
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I finally retired my 4-year-old laptop that has been barely functional for the last nine months in favor of a brand new custom-built desktop! Usually, when I purchase a race sim, I start a thread proclaiming "So I bought (name of sim). Now what?" However, since there's already several rFactor threads active on this board, I'll just fall in line in an existing one instead.

I remember a lot about installing features from when I played F1 Challenge, but I can't seem to recall where to put setups. Can anyone help me out? Additionally, are there any good setup websites for the various rFactor mods?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2248828)   #23
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
I finally retired my 4-year-old laptop that has been barely functional for the last nine months in favor of a brand new custom-built desktop! Usually, when I purchase a race sim, I start a thread proclaiming "So I bought (name of sim). Now what?" However, since there's already several rFactor threads active on this board, I'll just fall in line in an existing one instead.

I remember a lot about installing features from when I played F1 Challenge, but I can't seem to recall where to put setups. Can anyone help me out? Additionally, are there any good setup websites for the various rFactor mods?
Setups go here:

C:\Users\your name\Documents\rFactor\userdata\your name\Settings\track name

Rfactor Central is the best site i've come across
Old 10 Jul 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2248841)   #24
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rFactor Central is the only site you'll need for rFactor stuff. There was SKRO.de aswell but it seems to have been down for months P.s, when you get a wheel take the BMW M1 Procar for a spin, the sounds will just amaza you
Old 11 Jul 2008, 01:09 (Ref:2248937)   #25
YZ250
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss
rFactor Central is the only site you'll need for rFactor stuff. There was SKRO.de aswell but it seems to have been down for months P.s, when you get a wheel take the BMW M1 Procar for a spin, the sounds will just amaza you
Whilst RFactor Central, is a gr8 site also try Race Sim Central, you will be able to talk to the guys who make and are making the mods, and at times have some input. Or go to www.adrenalinfactor.com