Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Aug 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3997506)   #201
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So weird to see this with no fans. It's like a club race but, give the man his 2%!!!!
Old 23 Aug 2020, 21:51 (Ref:3997507)   #202
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So weird to see this with no fans. It's like a club race but, give the man his 2%!!!!
Can we get a list of what the drivers chose?! And the previous winners down the years. Now that would be a statistic.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 21:58 (Ref:3997508)   #203
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pigot heading to Methodist Hospital. Hope its precautionary.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3997509)   #204
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Pigot heading to Methodist Hospital. Hope its precautionary.
He manged to get himself out of the car, so yes.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3997510)   #205
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Taku has got this. Or it will end in a blaze of glory.
*applause*

Thankfully no blaze of any sort. That was nasty hit for Pigot.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:11 (Ref:3997512)   #206
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Shame about the finish, that was really setting up to be a barn burner between Sato and Dixon (perhaps even Rahal too!). Unfortunately the aeroscreen this year ruined the clean air coming off the cars and caused severe wash, on track product was 2018-esque at times, . Hopefully they find a way with the 2021 aero regulations to help mitigate the dirty air issues brought on by the aeroscreen before the new chassis arrive in '22.

But, at the end of the day I would rather see a natural finish under yellow like we did today 11 times out of 10 than the contrived shite over in stock car land.

On to Gateway next weekend!!
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:14 (Ref:3997513)   #207
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Can we get a list of what the drivers chose?! And the previous winners down the years. Now that would be a statistic.
There is a list somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:21 (Ref:3997514)   #208
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Shame that the race finished under yellow - always something of an anti-climax but better that than a contrived finish for the sake of running.

That was shaping up to be a storming finish but it felt like Sato had the car under him for those last 20 or so laps, so not sure that Dixon or Rahal could have snagged him even if it did run green to the end.

As others have said, really weird to see an empty Speedway for this race but hopefully will be back to normal for next year.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:23 (Ref:3997515)   #209
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Shame about the finish, that was really setting up to be a barn burner between Sato and Dixon (perhaps even Rahal too!). Unfortunately the aeroscreen this year ruined the clean air coming off the cars and caused severe wash, on track product was 2018-esque at times, . Hopefully they find a way with the 2021 aero regulations to help mitigate the dirty air issues brought on by the aeroscreen before the new chassis arrive in '22.

But, at the end of the day I would rather see a natural finish under yellow like we did today 11 times out of 10 than the contrived shite over in stock car land.

On to Gateway next weekend!!
It didn't remind me of 2018. I thought there was a decent amount of overtaking, without the field being drawn out like it was in 2018. Dixon and Rossi traded the lead numerous times.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:42 (Ref:3997518)   #210
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They keep track. I recall a couple like Will Power who said essentially, bring me anything. I don't care. I just want milk at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He manged to get himself out of the car, so yes.
I know. There's be some that seemed fine at the track, right? Last I saw him, he was laid out on the track. Hand moving but I'm still concerned.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:45 (Ref:3997520)   #211
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
They keep track. I recall a couple like Will Power who said essentially, bring me anything. I don't care. I just want milk at the end of the day.

I know. There's be some that seemed fine at the track, right? Last I saw him, he was laid out on the track. Hand moving but I'm still concerned.
I thought was because they were going stretcher him away.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:52 (Ref:3997523)   #212
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think they required him to be stabilized and transported. You don't ask if they want to or not in big collisions, the driver gets taken away. He went straight to the local hospital from the track.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:56 (Ref:3997524)   #213
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looked OK. Taken to hospital sound dramatic. Hopefully just a check. Looks that way
Old 23 Aug 2020, 22:57 (Ref:3997525)   #214
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
No way - brilliant.

We liked the 2% comment as we had to get used to this when we moved here. Different color tops and everything. Amazing how something so little oddly became a thing for us that we’ll always remember.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 23:01 (Ref:3997526)   #215
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Apparently there really isn't much of a list, I swore I'd seen Robin Miller write one up, but it seems you can only easily find the last couple seasons as it was published before the race. But no one knows what they actually gave Will Power because he didn't have a preference.

Only things we know for sure:

Emmo will always be remembered for his OJ in 93.
Louis Meyer drank real buttermilk after his 3 wins and started it
Ed and Hinch are nerds and have both asked for buttermilk, no they will not give that to you
Sato wanted 2%
Pagenaud asked for whole in 2019
Marcus Ericsson learned and moved from fat free to 2%
Conor Daly isn't my driver now with skim
Will Power doesn't care at all

And you can only get whole, 2% or fat free. No kids milk like strawberry, chocolate or my favorite (and a Rhode Island thing) coffee milk.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 23:08 (Ref:3997527)   #216
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Brilliant.

On the skimmed, you may be interested to know that in the UK red top meant skimmed, here it’s full.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 23:19 (Ref:3997529)   #217
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Cause I'm a dork and angry at terrible meat cookery this afternoon I have hit the interwebs. The earliest I can find is 2015 so here we go

2013: TK 2% "ice cold"
2014: RHR 2%, switched to whole in 2018
2015: John Paul Montana Whole
2016: Rossi 2%
2017: Sato 2%
2018: Power "Good with any kind of milk"
2019: Pagenaud Whole, changed to from 2% previously
2020: Sato 2%

13 and 14 inferred from later selections

Yup, I've got that kinda time and I use my time wisely

Potentials
Helio (01, 02, 09) has selected 2% since 2016
Dixon (08) has been 2% lately but whole in 2015

Last edited by broadrun96; 23 Aug 2020 at 23:29.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 03:05 (Ref:3997536)   #218
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of negative comments above. I thought there was a pretty high level of driving, and more passing than might have been expected given pre-race chatter. Great drives by Taku, Dixon, and Rahal: none of them put a foot wrong all day that I saw. I think the same applies to Ferrucci and Newgarden. A finish under green would have been nice. I wonder if getting the finish inside the NBC broadcast window figured into the yellow flag finish. In the old days there would have been no question about it finishing under yellow. A red flag to enable a green flag finish wasn't something that was done before NASCAR began manipulating everything towards "the show".

Last edited by mstets; 24 Aug 2020 at 03:22.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 03:42 (Ref:3997537)   #219
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The latest I've seen was at least an hour to fix the attenuator; Indy management, and NBC, had no interest in burning an hour or 2 in order to get the last 2 laps in under green. By the time they could have thrown the red and actually halted the field they'd be on lap 198, 2 laps wouldn't even be a "show" and after 90 min? You'd have lost even the diehards. For not much gain. And as you said, and RM wrote, "Rick Mears (1988), Emerson Fittipaldi (1989), Helio Castroneves (2002), Buddy Rice (2004), Dan Wheldon (2005, 2011), Dario Franchitti (2007, 2010, 2012) and Tony Kanaan (2013) all won under yellow so it's not new. Hell it's 11 of 104 under yellow.

Interesting stat someone brought up on Racer, every time Fernando Alonso qualifies for Indy, Sato wins.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 03:55 (Ref:3997538)   #220
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No argument about finishing under yellow from me. Ganassi may have another opinion.

I had no idea that it would take that long to fix the end of the pit lane wall. When I was on a pit crew, it was just solid concrete and there was no pit lane speed limit. So I'm not advocating a return to "the good old days".

Any word on injuries to VeeKay's pit crew?
Old 24 Aug 2020, 05:02 (Ref:3997541)   #221
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
My sheep are devastated,they were sure Dixon had it in the bag.I will have to comfort them all night till they get over it.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3997556)   #222
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shame the red flag ended it that way, but it's not the first time it's happened here. Great win for Sato, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. Dixon made him work for it, so could have gone either way. Although can Sato win when Alonso is not in the race lol?

Andretti really did flatter to deceive, really a painful way to go after such a strong quali
Old 24 Aug 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3997572)   #223
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shame the red flag ended it that way, but it's not the first time it's happened here. Great win for Sato, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. Dixon made him work for it, so could have gone either way. Although can Sato win when Alonso is not in the race lol?

Andretti really did flatter to deceive, really a painful way to go after such a strong quali
The race wasn't red flagged. It finished under yellow.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3997576)   #224
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Spencer Pigot has been released from hospital, which is excellent news.

https://racer.com/2020/08/23/pigot-r...from-hospital/
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3997581)   #225
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Round 7: revised calendar. The 104th running of the Indianapolis 500. Aug 12-23, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The race wasn't red flagged. It finished under yellow.

Easy to get wires caught there, but either way, we’ve had times in the past when the race has finished early or finished under caution, so this race is not unique

Anyway good news about Pigot, credit to the safety facilities that he got away relatively unscathed