Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Apr 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1568782)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not me weaving, it's the track!

You know the run from Knickerbrook to Druids at Oulton? - it's flat out but the line takes you from one side of the track to the other, perhaps 4 times. If you're in a slow (in a straight line car), is it acceptable to take the full line to keep a faster (in a straight line) car behind? You can run this section without using the full width of the track but the driving school line - and the line I'd take if they was no-one around - does take you to the track edges. In reality, how I drive it depends on who is behind - if it's a known nutter in a heavy saloon, I let them by; if it's a respectful (good!) driver in a small car, I try and keep them behind. But isn't that overly harsh on good drivers...?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1568805)   #2
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth, I think that the only important bit of weaving is to get on the right of the track after the bridge so the approach to Druids is reasonable on the left and straight for braking. And it's always for the overtaking car to overtake. I say this as a driver of a smaller nimble car often outgunned by big bangers.......
Old 3 Apr 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1568810)   #3
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
For what it's worth, I think that the only important bit of weaving is to get on the right of the track after the bridge so the approach to Druids is reasonable on the left and straight for braking. And it's always for the overtaking car to overtake. I say this as a driver of a smaller nimble car often outgunned by big bangers.......
This would be a perfectly legal blocking move in FF1600
Old 3 Apr 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1569255)   #4
Cleggie
Rookie

Cleggie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd say that if the following car hasn't got anywhere to being along side you prior to Clay Hill its not going to work for them, all they could be doing is to menace you into moving over, and if they end up at the Water Tower kink out of postion in so doing then Druids is going to be compromised. So, hold your line, its not weaving. Although I've only ever done FF and F3 and it wouldn't be possible for a following (& similar) car to pass unless I had done something wrong on the exit of Fosters, in which case I entered the Idiot Zone and deserve the punishment.

If the cars your talking about are so different in power that he's going to get you in the end (would this be different classes of Saloons in the same race?) you may as well make it as easy as you can for both of you and let him by up Clay Hill where his power advantage my be at its best then you can both concentrate keeping your speed through Druids without the distraction.

This section of the circuit is a fast straight onto fast corner onto another fast straight so, if you get Fosters 100% perfect, then you're on your way to a pretty quick lap as you'll be on the gas all the way to Druids. Just a thought.....
Old 3 Apr 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1569273)   #5
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleggie
If the cars your talking about are so different in power that he's going to get you in the end (would this be different classes of Saloons in the same race?)
Yep, sports & saloon races, although a "faster"/more powerful car isn't necessarily going to get by eventually - by faster cornering I can keep a 250bhp saloon behind my 100bhp Caterham

The point they do come by is when I'm trying to move around to the right after into Watertower/after the Yoko bridge - with some more consideration, maybe I just need to move across earlier/more forcefully, so not as to give them the chance to get alongside. And then if they can outbrake me around the outside into Druids, they deserve them place! Thanks for the help.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1569260)   #6
Cleggie
Rookie

Cleggie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Of course I was thinking of driving the Fosters circuit then, so for 'Fosters' read Knickerbrook, but much the same applies for the International Circuit as well....