Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 23 Apr 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4047544)   #26
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The STARD Fiesta is run by the Austrian team?
Old 23 Apr 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4047555)   #27
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Quick question - is the Focus that Chris langley was driving the same one that Mark Watson (not Mad Mark - the other one) had?
It's still owned by Mark Watson. 500hp+ turbo charged rwd.

And STARD ran the ERX car and will for Barratt and Hoy if they can get the funds to race this year
Old 23 Apr 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4047572)   #28
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interview Coley did with Doran is interesting, suggests he's going to be running one. Pretty sure it's a bit of a mickey take though
Old 27 Apr 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4048051)   #29
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
It's still owned by Mark Watson. 500hp+ turbo charged rwd.
Thanks - that's one of those cars that vanished and has presumably just sat in a garage not doing anything, it'd be good to see it back out for the season.
Old 25 May 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4053351)   #30
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
97 entries confirmed for the season opener at Lydden:

https://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/9...at-lydden-hill

11 Supercars
25 Retro (6 Retro/11 Super Retro/8 Retro 4WD)
7 Super National
4 RX150
4 Super 1600
8 Juniors
8 Swifts
18 BMW Minis
3 4WD BMW Mini
8 Electro

97 is arguably slightly less impressive when it is split across so many classes, but some good numbers for some classes there. Was hoping for a few more Supercars, but the quality is definitely there. Donnelly, Scott, Godfrey, Tohill and O'Donovan should deliver.

Notably no electric cars in the Supercar class? Budget not forthcoming for Hoy and Barrett?

I don't like to shoot new ideas down, but I still can't see the purpose of the 4WD Mini class. Pleased to see that the BMW Mini entries haven't suffered as a consequence. Disappointing numbers for RX150 as well.

Better turnout for the standalone electric class than I was expecting. Was really hoping for a STARD car (or two) though for a direct petrol/electric comparison.
Old 28 May 2021, 07:12 (Ref:4053636)   #31
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol how many classes, cmon guys this is crazy!!
Old 4 Jun 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4054602)   #32
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Lol how many classes, cmon guys this is crazy!!
Yeah, does seem mad to have added two more classes this year.

Lot of racing over the two days, most of which was decent. I was a little disappointed with the Supercar numbers, but the class was really close and after a few of the big names having issues on Saturday, most of them were in the mix on Monday.

Both Swift classes had some really close racing: Juniors have been great the last few years and continued that, but the Senior Swifts (although not as numerous as I'd like for an identical make class) delivered some really close racing as well.

Really strong numbers in BMW Mini and Super Retro. Was great to see the whole pack of Super Retro cars barrelling into Chessons. Retro 4WD seems like a real mishmash now. Several cars that should be in Supercar, think I'd rather just see a Group B car or two doing demo runs.

Can see how Electro can have some appeal as an entry level series. Cars were close and with a few more of them out there might be entertaining. I was disappointed not to see the STARD Supercars entered though. Think the Electro cars just reinforced the beliefs of a lot of the cynics about electric, whereas the STARD cars might have stood a chance of changing some opinions.

Shame Marc Scott didn't last the weekend, but at least Stephen Jones and Patrick O'Donovan had a bit of a race on Monday. Still think RX150 needs more numbers or to be dropped...

...and speaking of dropped: the BMW All4 class. I don't want to be dismissive of the hard work of the teams that knocked out cars, but as things stand I just can't see the point of them. Seemingly slower than the regular MINIs and, according to one of the teams on FB, costing £25K. Could surely build a regular MINI or even a half decent SN car for that money? Perhaps they will make more sense in the long term, but I just can't see the point at the moment.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4054654)   #33
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I thought it was a fantastic 2 days of rallycross. Supercars were all competitive with both winners perhaps being a bit of a surprise after the heats.Mondays final was certainly a close affair with ODD using some questionable tatics which I believe he has since been penalized for. Andy Scott certainly got stuck in too but it was those who kept it clean who came out the winners.

Not many supernationals but the BM,vauxhall and Lotus were so well matched and with each car having strengths and weaknesses in different parts of the circuit lots of non joker overtaking.
The retros were best ive yet seen especially on the saturday with a special mention to Jos Sterkens who put on a great show who along with Snoijers had all the hassle of covid tests but didnt let them stop doing what they love.

Thanks to all the drivers and to Lydden Hill for putting on a great show and getting us all out the house, oh and to the Ovenden soap box which well had a spectacular end...
Old 6 Jun 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4054811)   #34
hoffman66
Racer

All I ever see with OOD is a very rich man who doesnt' like it when he is beaten, his driving standards have become very argey bargey and he simply looks like a rich man who thinks he should be winning, sorry mate but sport doesn't work like that and around here there are several guys in the same boat with perhaps more than you or considerably more talent behind the wheel.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4055149)   #35
MissClarrpz
Racer

I'm not disappointed with Supercar numbers because pretty much all of them can fight for wins. Would much rather that than 16+ cars but only 3 going for wins. I wouldn't be surprised to see double digit entries for Supercars throughout the season including some STARDs

OOD... My main issue with him is that he is overly aggressive on track but is the first to complain when anyone knocks him wide. Hopefully now he's lost championship points he'll actually calm down

With the 2 new series. Electro was actually alright for the racing. The problem is they make literally no sound, like can barely even hear the tyres. They are road cars so are designed to be quiet. I think the STARD car or other electric cars made for racing will be much better.

The Mini All4s weren't really ready to go racing. They had reduced power and still have nearly all the original bodywork. So they'll get lighter and more powerful, maybe having a public test session wasn't the way to go. They should be able to produce the power of an rx2 car for much cheaper. It's a jump up of cost from regular minis but nothing else is that cheap and that fast (once they get quicker). Next cheapest would be Rx150.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 15:59 (Ref:4055319)   #36
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not disappointed with Supercar numbers because pretty much all of them can fight for wins. Would much rather that than 16+ cars but only 3 going for wins. I wouldn't be surprised to see double digit entries for Supercars throughout the season including some STARDs

OOD... My main issue with him is that he is overly aggressive on track but is the first to complain when anyone knocks him wide. Hopefully now he's lost championship points he'll actually calm down

With the 2 new series. Electro was actually alright for the racing. The problem is they make literally no sound, like can barely even hear the tyres. They are road cars so are designed to be quiet. I think the STARD car or other electric cars made for racing will be much better.

The Mini All4s weren't really ready to go racing. They had reduced power and still have nearly all the original bodywork. So they'll get lighter and more powerful, maybe having a public test session wasn't the way to go. They should be able to produce the power of an rx2 car for much cheaper. It's a jump up of cost from regular minis but nothing else is that cheap and that fast (once they get quicker). Next cheapest would be Rx150.
Spot on with OOD. Didn't he pull out of the championship a year or so ago due to driving standards. It was ironic then. Looks moronic now. I thought Scott was in the wrong on Saturday though. He's coming off the Joker and just cut across OOD hoping Ollie would leave him room (which he has never done and doesn't need to do). Scott should have kept it straight and taken the inside into the Elbow. Easy for me to say of course.

Glad to hear Minis will get quicker. Looked a right waste out there but if they can get to the speed of the Lancer out there then you can put them with production 4x4 and have a good field.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 17:18 (Ref:4055330)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Yeah. I meant to elaborate on that in my previous post, but I agree. Of the Supercars that lined up at Lydden at least half are realistic challengers for the Championship this year. Like you say definitely better to have that then loads of cars and only one or two fighting for the win.

Quote:
I am not convinced about the RX2 comparison, but look forward to being proven wrong! The one potential positive I can see with them is that they could provide a balanced production(ish) 4x4 class, something I don't think the BTRDA have managed to nail yet.

If the £25K figure I read on Facebook (which I admit is far from the most accurate source of information!) is correct, then they are already more expensive than an RX150, aren't they?

As said previous it is probably unfair too draw any conclusions this early.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 06:47 (Ref:4055381)   #38
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RX2 isn't cheap and never was. If you look at the drivers who has been in Lites over the years you realize pretty quickly how many there have been that you don't see around anymore. The turnover rate of drivers is insane and you don't see many progressing to Supercars, which is the point of the class. Although that could be down to other reasons.

Quality wise it's a very expensive car for what you get and every part you buy has to be through OMSE as they got monopoly on everything, who then in turn got higher prices than market value. You're not allowed to do anything with the car either. It also seems to be a very uneven class for some reason, despite being a spec-series. Incredible how many dominating drivers there has been. Besides, competing against the manufacturer is in itself questionable.

The idea of Lites is a good one but if I was in charge of creating a class like it, I'd do my best to avoid the practices of Lites.

Last edited by crossfades; 9 Jun 2021 at 06:52.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4055536)   #39
hoffman66
Racer

Indeed, Lites has been a vehicle for profit for a long time now both here and in the US, but it does get decent numbers.

I would like a one make series, I recall the times of things like 1400 Cup, amazing racing, cheap cars perfect idea if a little banger racing at times, but no worse than S1660 can be or Supercar aswell.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4055542)   #40
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
I would like a one make series, I recall the times of things like 1400 Cup, amazing racing, cheap cars perfect idea if a little banger racing at times, but no worse than S1660 can be or Supercar aswell.
Surely that's what the Swifts and MINIs are?
Old 10 Jun 2021, 14:18 (Ref:4055551)   #41
MissClarrpz
Racer

I'm not sure about buying an RX150 but hiring for a season will cost ~£25k. At least with the All4 Mini you can sell it afterwards plus running costs should be cheap as it's using off the shelf parts. I was just saying that RX2 and All4 will both have around 300hp though will still be a few seconds difference in pace.

It's definitely much closer racing than Production 4x4. Main problem is only 3 cars exist currently but more are being made. Back when BMW Minis started they only had 3 or 4 at each race and took a while to grow. All4 should get bigger quicker.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4055586)   #42
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I'm not sure about buying an RX150 but hiring for a season will cost ~£25k. At least with the All4 Mini you can sell it afterwards plus running costs should be cheap as it's using off the shelf parts. I was just saying that RX2 and All4 will both have around 300hp though will still be a few seconds difference in pace.
Very interested to see how the All4 Mini fares in the long term with that sort of power.

I believe it is still £2500 to rent an RX150 per event and I though the buggies were about £25K to buy outright: my numbers might be out of date there though!

Quote:
Main problem is only 3 cars exist currently but more are being made. Back when BMW Minis started they only had 3 or 4 at each race and took a while to grow. All4 should get bigger quicker.
Absolutely, every class has to start somewhere. The increase in pace is encouraging as it seems daft to be paying that money to be going slower than a 2WD Mini.
Old 11 Jun 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4055713)   #43
hoffman66
Racer

1400 Cup offered something those classes dont and that was variety, I was talking about Europe aswell really, this stuff is OK here I guess.
Old 12 Jun 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4055808)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Finally had some time to upload some pictures from Lydden. Few favourites from the opening 5 Nations rounds...

...album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57719401566951

If you want to see more!
Old 14 Jun 2021, 08:30 (Ref:4056308)   #45
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Is that Rosie back in the Monster livery or another RS200?

Cracking shot of Tohill there as well
Old 14 Jun 2021, 09:36 (Ref:4056317)   #46
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Is that Rosie back in the Monster livery or another RS200?
That is Rosie, it had a new wrap for the weekend. I understand it is doing an event or two like that then going back to the Q8 colours.

Quote:
Cracking shot of Tohill there as well
I wonder if he got a warning for track limits on Saturday as he was really cutting the chicane when I was down that end (and he didn't seem as aggressive through there on Monday): looked cool though!
Old 14 Jun 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4056318)   #47
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
That is Rosie, it had a new wrap for the weekend. I understand it is doing an event or two like that then going back to the Q8 colours.
Glad to hear - she looks a lot better in the Q8 colours - I'm not a fan of that Monster scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I wonder if he got a warning for track limits on Saturday as he was really cutting the chicane when I was down that end (and he didn't seem as aggressive through there on Monday): looked cool though!
Do they enforce track limits at the chicane? If you push your luck there it usually ends badly anyway!
Old 14 Jun 2021, 10:26 (Ref:4056322)   #48
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Glad to hear - she looks a lot better in the Q8 colours - I'm not a fan of that Monster scheme.
I wasn't keen when I saw it first thing on Saturday, but I had warmed to it by the end of the day (though I still much prefer the Q8 and Hydrex liveries on that car!).

The car ran with black wheels on Monday which I thought looked better. Alas the front differential failed in Q1 before I could get any decent pictures of the car in action!

Quote:
Do they enforce track limits at the chicane? If you push your luck there it usually ends badly anyway!
I was sure they had penalized there before for cars going four wheels off? I hope they don't, as seeing cars come flying through there is one of the best bits of the circuit.

Very true though, the Supercars and a handful of others can get away with big cuts there but, like you say, it tends to end badly for most!
Old 15 Jun 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4056550)   #49
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken From the Irish Rallycross Facebook page.

“Due to ongoing Covid travel restrictions the 5 Nations British Rallycross Championship won't be travelling across the water to join us on 10th & 11th of July in Mondello Park We are working to reschedule their visit and will keep you all informed as soon as we have news on a new date.”
Old 15 Jun 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4056576)   #50
MissClarrpz
Racer

BRX could join a different Irish RX round but ignoring the August event all the IRX rounds take place 1 week before or after a BRX round. Doubt many will want to have back to back events especially when one is an overseas trip. Mondello can't really move their rallycross dates. Hopefully something can be sorted.

Pembrey isn't certain yet either. All events till June have been cancelled or postponed. Welsh government still hating on motorsport because it's so hard to socially distance at a race circuit. I hear they're practically the size of cupboards. Pembrey is probably easier to reschedule though.