Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Aug 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4070823)   #1
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Three Shires Stages 5th Sep 21

Hello!

I’m going to this next Sunday: https://www.threeshiresstages.co.uk/

They have “spectator information” here: https://www.threeshiresstages.co.uk/spectators

This is three links to an ordnance survey map. I have no idea what it means. I thought this event was based at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern.

I’m keen to get into rallying but it doesn’t seem easy! I’d be very grateful for the advice of the seasoned veterans here!

Thank you
Old 28 Aug 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4070826)   #2
ahobson98
Rookie

ahobson98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the rally base at the Three Counties Showground will be service where all the teams are based. The cars return here a couple of times during the day for repairs e.t.c.

The competitive aspect of the rally itself is made up of a number of special stages (sections of closed road) relatively near the rally base.

Each of the three maps on the website corresponds to the spectator zones of three of the stages, so to spectate, you can choose which one you want to go to, then during the day the field of cars will run through each stage 3 times at 30 second/ 1 minute intervals between each car with probably an hour or so break in between the last car finishing a run through and the first car starting the next one.

For example, SS1 will also run as SS5 And SS10, so you get to see each car three times at the same place with (probably) an hour or so between SS1/SS5 and SS5/SS10.

Does that all make sense?
Old 29 Aug 2021, 05:38 (Ref:4070854)   #3
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you, it does. The crucial bit I hadn’t realised is that Malvern is the base for the cars rather than the spectators.

My next challenge is to understand the maps. I think I have managed to place the photo to the corresponding bit of the map, but I cannot navigate by these maps, which I need somehow to translate into something I can put into Google maps on my phone, which is how I find my way around the world .

I also want to go to more than one area, preferably all three.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 17:35 (Ref:4072381)   #4
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Hello again!

I had a very pleasant day on the Welsh borders between Malvern Hills and Wye Valley. Achingly gorgeous countryside on a glorious day, with the snarl and pop-bang of rally cars echoing around the place.

This was clearly a well-planned and well-organised event. Everyone I encountered was lovely, chatty and helpful. It wasn't too hard to navigate around with a bit of planning, which was my biggest worry beforehand.

From a spectator (or more precisely a photographer) point of view it was a little underwhelming. The first spectator area I went to was a field from which you could see the cars coming down a hill, at which point they circled the field out of sight behind a hedge and were gone. At the second area we saw the cars turn onto a dirt track, run a straight line from right to left then disappear, leaving clouds of dust that obscured the next car. At the third area the spectator fence had been moved back the night before such that you couldn't really see the cars at all (the organisers were thus no longer charging for that car park and seemed pretty grumpy about it). A second viewing area there turned out to be a high, overgrown bank reached through a field, from which there was a very long view of cars navigating a road with high hedges either side.

My day was saved from a photography viewpoint by some lads who showed me where the locals were standing - in a church yard overlooking the road where cars passed by a few feet away. Lots of families from the village were there. This made my day.

One thing I learned was to worry less about ending up in the wrong place and causing bother. It was always very clear where you could go or not and there were marshals/stewards everywhere, all of whom were very friendly and helpful.An album of photos is now in the works.

Thanks to a long zoom lens, the genius of Nikon, some persistence on my part and some helpful locals I managed to get a decent collection of pictures. Here's one as a taster:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7149.jpg  

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 6 Sep 2021 at 17:47.
Old 7 Sep 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4072485)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Glad you managed to find somewhere suitable to watch from - it does seem to be a common theme that the approved spectator areas are a bit limited in terms of what can be seen. Local knowledge is always handy and it's good that the locals were out spectating. Don't forget to share the link to your photos when you've created the album
Old 7 Sep 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4072523)   #6
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Glad you managed to find somewhere suitable to watch from - it does seem to be a common theme that the approved spectator areas are a bit limited in terms of what can be seen.
My mate was really ****ed off by it, this was his video from the first stage he went to.

https://twitter.com/AlastairCummins/...792997893?s=20

Old 7 Sep 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4072531)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
My mate was really ****ed off by it, this was his video from the first stage he went to.
That was the area where the spectator line had been moved back the night before. That said, it's not clear the view would have been any good anyway since the cars are completely behind the hedge!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 09:56 (Ref:4073221)   #8
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Here's my pictures from this rally: https://bit.ly/3txpCb0

Since there were over 100 cars it's a substantial album...but somewhat repetitive since there were very limited angles/shots to be found at the spectator areas

There are four batches of photos:

1. Shots of the cars coming down a hill towards the first spectator area. This was first thing in the morning so a little hazy (the weather, not me!) and these are cropped long shots.

2. Shots of cars coming right to left in front of the second spectator area. I missed the first 20 or so cars as I got lost in country lanes trying to find the spectator area and many of the rest were lost in clouds of dust.

3. Very long shots from high on a bank overlooking the winding, hedge-lined road the cars wound along. Fabulous view of the countryside but only snatched views of the cars through gaps in the hedge!

4. Fantastic shots taken from the churchyard in a village which some kindly locals took me to. Awesome close-ups from cars going by a few feet away. Unfortunately only the last 20 or so cars and by this time I was tired and hot and out of water so didn't want to wait an hour for them to come past again. In retrospect had I realised how much better these shots were than the rest, I would have stuck it out.

It was a really enjoyable day even if a little frustrating for photography. I learned a lot and have already planned a couple more rally trips.

Hope you enjoy!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4073245)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Thanks for sharing those - there's some nice shots in there. I see what you mean about the hedges though! It looks like a good mix of cars too - I do like the Fabia R5, the Maxi/Kit cars are always good too. Also spotted a crew I know as well