Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2020, 20:55 (Ref:4025443)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like these McLaren drivers being high up. They’ve just impressed this year. I think Sainz has just shaded Norris, but both have been great.

I’d love to rate Leclerc at the top, he’s my fave, but I’m not sure. He’s destroyed Vettel, but how much was Vettee trying? And Leclerc had a couple of silly mistakes.

Verstappen has obviously been very good, but he’s not been super super good. Hamilton, of course, has been really good and he had that top win in poor conditions. I don’t Mark him down for being in the best car, but it oddly stops you seeing the ultimate sometimes.

Perez has been good and I’ve enjoyed his good results and the win, but I think he’s a good consistent driver. Not top draw.

Other good performances include Gasly and that has reflected well on Kyvat who had some good ones.

Russell had that brilliant race. And was very impressive on Saturday so I think I’d put him in the top 10 on that.

Hulk, great to see him and nice to see him to well. Not top 10.

Dani Ric. Yes he’s been very good and put another of my faves Ocon in the shade, although he didn’t perform badly.

Kimi had some good laps and overtakes and I cheer for him, but I don’t think he makes the top 10.

The others, unless I randomly forgot someone proper, we’re meh.

So I have to put in a top 10.

1. Sainz
2. Hamilton
3. Verstappen
4. Norris
5. Ricciardo
6. Leclerc
7. Gasly
8. Russell
9. Perez
10. Bottas

Bottas is kind of middle I suppose. Losing inspiration in my list there.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 23:13 (Ref:4025461)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think that there were several instances this year where Leclerc did things speed/talent wise in a poor Ferrari that we haven't seen since Alonso or maybe even Gilles!

For that reason alone he is im my top 3.
Old 28 Dec 2020, 07:58 (Ref:4025486)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Leclerc along with Verstappen is a top talent in F1. Got involved in a few incidents he shouldn't have, but he gave it his all in an awful car and got rewarded on occasions as a result, including a couple of podiums. In some ways he reminds me of Jean Alesi, although I think the Alonso/Villeneuve comparisons are good ones too.
Old 28 Dec 2020, 10:11 (Ref:4025491)   #29
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there have been some excellent suggestions in this thread for why some drivers deserves to be on a list for 2020. I know that I have a hard time ranking some of them, and maybe putting up groups for classification is a more fair way of doing it.

I know that there are some drivers I rank very high because I *like* them, that did not deserve to be on a list 2020 because they did nothing much to bring attention to themselves.

I have come to love Seb Vettel for example, after seeing that clip when the whole team was assembled to celebrate and he suddenly interrupted them and had the guy put Kimis name next to his on the score board. I started crying. He is smart, charming, funny and a very decent human being. But, I have never been a fan of the driver Sebastian Vettel. I'd love to hang out with him and chat, though.

Then we have Kimi, which really is an enigma to many. As we don't have any Swedish talent in F1 these days I'll have to cheer for our Finnish brothers (mene Suomeen!). Kimi is also very funny and charming, but he as all out admitted he is doing this more like a hobby! But, when he had the opportunity, you could see he still had it. Hard not to like that, but most of this year, he drove a fast car for fun, and it showed.

Bottas then. He is a uncharismatic number two. But! Compare him to Albon, who paired with a teammate who is really good looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Same thing with Vandoorne, who was paired with one of the truly great and came out wanting. Not surprisingly. Bottas rarely looses it. He does it sometimes, but then he calms down and gets his act together. Imagine being paired with one of the truly great drivers who beat you like he is not even trying, and it happens over and over again. But, Valtteri gets in the car again and sometimes even beats one of the best. Damn, that is impressive. He has one of the strongest minds on the grid. Do I like him? Well. Do I respect him? Hell yeah! He is not one that's easy to cheer for as he is a bit, number two(?), in all he does.

I'm also going to throw it out there, being a part time Canadian, that I rate Stroll much higher this year than I ever did before. That wet driving of his showed skill, real skill. I'm beginning to like him. He needs some of that Finnish mental endurance.

Latifi? The jury is still out on that one...
Old 28 Dec 2020, 10:39 (Ref:4025494)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I think there have been some excellent suggestions in this thread for why some drivers deserves to be on a list for 2020. I know that I have a hard time ranking some of them, and maybe putting up groups for classification is a more fair way of doing it.

I know that there are some drivers I rank very high because I *like* them, that did not deserve to be on a list 2020 because they did nothing much to bring attention to themselves.

I have come to love Seb Vettel for example, after seeing that clip when the whole team was assembled to celebrate and he suddenly interrupted them and had the guy put Kimis name next to his on the score board. I started crying. He is smart, charming, funny and a very decent human being. But, I have never been a fan of the driver Sebastian Vettel. I'd love to hang out with him and chat, though.

Then we have Kimi, which really is an enigma to many. As we don't have any Swedish talent in F1 these days I'll have to cheer for our Finnish brothers (mene Suomeen!). Kimi is also very funny and charming, but he as all out admitted he is doing this more like a hobby! But, when he had the opportunity, you could see he still had it. Hard not to like that, but most of this year, he drove a fast car for fun, and it showed.

Bottas then. He is a uncharismatic number two. But! Compare him to Albon, who paired with a teammate who is really good looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Same thing with Vandoorne, who was paired with one of the truly great and came out wanting. Not surprisingly. Bottas rarely looses it. He does it sometimes, but then he calms down and gets his act together. Imagine being paired with one of the truly great drivers who beat you like he is not even trying, and it happens over and over again. But, Valtteri gets in the car again and sometimes even beats one of the best. Damn, that is impressive. He has one of the strongest minds on the grid. Do I like him? Well. Do I respect him? Hell yeah! He is not one that's easy to cheer for as he is a bit, number two(?), in all he does.

I'm also going to throw it out there, being a part time Canadian, that I rate Stroll much higher this year than I ever did before. That wet driving of his showed skill, real skill. I'm beginning to like him. He needs some of that Finnish mental endurance.

Latifi? The jury is still out on that one...

Some very good analysis there.

Vettel really had a bad season didn’t he? The only races he looked anything like the Seb of old was Turkey, Hungary and possibly Spain. Otherwise he was pretty anonymous and the only time you would notice him would tend to be when he was making one of his now regular mistakes. Not like Leclerc. He always gave it his all, even if he did make some silly mistakes at times. He deserves a better car in the future

Kimi still has life in the old dog yet. His first lap in Portugal showed that. As well as that he still makes relatively few mistakes and his love for the sport is still there, which is why it’s appropriate he is now the most experienced man ever in F1

Yes I agree on the Bottas-Albon comparison. Bottas had some off days and it’s times like that that make us appreciate how good Rosberg was, but by the same token, Albon’s performances make us realise how good Bottas is. Bottas seems to me to float between number 1 and number 2, depending on his mood. But he’s still been there to pick up the pieces on the odd occasion Lewis has an off day. It has be said that his luck wasn’t always great. Him getting the puncture at Silverstone before Lewis and collecting the piece of debris at Imola are two examples. And in a way it was just his luck that Lewis gets ill when the title has already been decided!

As for Albon, it’s a massive shame it didn’t work out, but he needed to be closer to Max a lot more. Easier said than done I know, but while some weekends he looked on it, others he just seemed to cruise around.

I agree Stroll isn’t as bad as some make out and his weekend at Turkey showed the talent is there. But he still blows hot and cold too often. Some weekends he can be up there, others fairly anonymous. He also seems to at times fail to keep pace for a race distance.

Latifi, he didn’t exactly disgrace himself, but neither did he make you sit up and take notice either
Old 29 Dec 2020, 17:02 (Ref:4025662)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some sort of combination of what impressed me the most, who i thought was the best in the machinery they had, who actually did the best etc etc...all very subjective.

plus i thought everyone who participated in this season was an absolute warrior with an absolute minimum of complaining.

1. Ham - his win at Silverstone and that last lap with 1 tire deflated was imo the stuff that turns into legend.
2. Gasly - his win and podium contemplation will remain the iconic image i carry for the 2020 season.
3. Max - fought always. his consistent effort is what sports is all about to me. warriors come out to play!
4. Ric - almost a shame he is leaving Renault because i really want to see him keep pushing this dog of a team/car forward. he's too good for them.
5/6 - Sainz and Norris - for me it is too hard to put one ahead of the other because they are brothers!!!
7. Leclerc - some silly errors but his quality comes through...if not his consistency yet.
8. Perez - maybe could have gone higher because of the win but also feel like him and his team left a lot on the table given the car they had.
9. Russell - a season of effort best exemplified by his never say never attitude when he got called up to the A team. remarkable young man.
10. Ocon - i think he did rather well and was much closer to his much more regarded team mate.
11. Stroll - the kid has his moments.
12. Vettee - what can i say i like him and he, despite a decline in form, handles it all in such a professional way. in the Ferrari fishbowl he could have easily thrown a tantrum but he didnt. i respect that.
13. Kvyat - he was scrappy at more than a few races this year.
14. Hulk - always ready to go. wish he could have shown more.
15. Grosjean - sentiment and so very glad he survived.
16. Giovinazzi - quiet and not terrible?
17. Magnussen -life is hard at the back. didnt like his driving but i do respect his attitude.
18. Latiffi - the real bottom of my list...those i have ranked below him are there for purley personal reasons.
19/20. Bottas and Albon - both have such good cars and are way too far behind their team mates.
21/22. Aitken/Fittipaldi - i didnt see enough and honestly i wasnt paying attention to them.
23. Kimi - so sad for me as i used to love this guy and his taciturn nature and he did put in some good drives this year...but its 2020 and if you cant stand up and explain why you have an iron cross on your mask then i am going to have a problem with you. be a man and say what you believe.
Old 29 Dec 2020, 21:22 (Ref:4025716)   #32
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
That is one of the more odd rankings both list and reasoning wise..
Old 29 Dec 2020, 21:35 (Ref:4025721)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I stand by it.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 01:11 (Ref:4025738)   #34
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I stand by it.
As you should!

Isn't Kimi's thing just a cross-brand thing anyway?
Old 30 Dec 2020, 02:21 (Ref:4025742)   #35
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes the word "consistent" is not a word usually associated with Max.

The ability to drive a perfectly good race car into a barrier is a skill few have mastered.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 02:31 (Ref:4025743)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
As you should!

Isn't Kimi's thing just a cross-brand thing anyway?
Yep and i have a problem with the brand.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 07:48 (Ref:4025770)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

Here's Autosport's top 10
1) Hamilton
2) Verstappen
3) Gasly
4) Leclerc
5) Ricciardo
6) Perez
7) Bottas
8) Russell
9) Sainz
10) Norris

Can't see much wrong with that list, although I still think Gasly's season has been a little overhyped. He did a better job sure and deserved that win, even if fortune came his way, but I would still put Leclerc, Ricciardo and probably Perez ahead of him
Old 30 Dec 2020, 08:10 (Ref:4025772)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting to see Sainz and Norris bottom two. They both beat Leclerc and Gasly on points. Then again Albon beat them both but doesn't appear anywhere. Demonstrates the subjectivity of these things. If I applied my personal logic I'd put Norris and Sainz higher simply because they achieved 3rd in the Championship which is what the team required. Apart from Hamilton and Bottas they were the only other pair of drivers to meet their team's ambitions.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4025808)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As lists go, it's close to mine. I'd certainly have Perez in the top 5 and Leclerc a little lower (yes he did well with a bad car but has consistency issues when racing).
Old 30 Dec 2020, 11:57 (Ref:4025813)   #40
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Autosports average driver ratings based on their points awarded after the race
https://www.autosport.com/f1/driver-ratings

1 Nico Hülkenberg
2 Lewis Hamilton
3 Max Verstappen
4 Pierre Gasly
5 Daniel Ricciardo
6 Charles Leclerc
7 Carlos Sainz
8 Lando Norris
9 Sergio Pérez
10 George Russell
11 Daniil Kvyat
12 Valtteri Bottas
13 Jack Aitken
14 Esteban Ocon
15 Kimi Räikkönen
16 Antonio Giovinazzi
17 Kevin Magnussen
18 Pietro Fittipaldi
19 Nicholas Latifi
20 Romain Grosjean
21 Lance Stroll
22 Alexander Albon
23 Sebastian Vettel

--

Reader average ratings:
1 Lewis Hamilton
2 Nico Hülkenberg
3 Max Verstappen
4 Daniel Ricciardo
5 Pierre Gasly
6 Carlos Sainz
7 Sergio Pérez
8 Lando Norris
9 Charles Leclerc
10 George Russell
11 Valtteri Bottas
12 Daniil Kvyat
13 Kimi Räikkönen
14 Jack Aitken
15 Esteban Ocon
16 Pietro Fittipaldi
17 Kevin Magnussen
18 Antonio Giovinazzi
19 Nicholas Latifi
20 Alexander Albon
21 Lance Stroll
22 Romain Grosjean
23 Sebastian Vettel
Old 30 Dec 2020, 13:59 (Ref:4025822)   #41
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yes the word "consistent" is not a word usually associated with Max.
He was on the podium in every race he finished besides Turkey

he had 5 DNF's: 2 engine related, a tire blowout and 2 first lap crahes he fell victim to

if that's not consistent I don't know what is.

he had 5 DNF's: 2 engine related, a tire blowout and 2 first lap crahes he fell victim to

Last edited by steve nielsen; 30 Dec 2020 at 14:25.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 14:00 (Ref:4025823)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

And I was one of those readers who contributed to it, although I’m not sure how much I influenced the final result
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:03 (Ref:4025948)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And I was one of those readers who contributed to it, although I’m not sure how much I influenced the final result
You never know!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4026676)   #44
Kato
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Kato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually when you think about it with the restrictions, not being able to freely move about, new tracks, nothing then fast forward week on week racing - I think the whole grid needs a vote of thanks. Especially those who could see their futures diminishing as the second half of the year went on. Alex, Dani, Sergio (with reprieve), Kevin and Roman. Well done.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4033431)   #45
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
So I have recorded every driver ranking I have found from 2020 that had at least a top ten (including official sites, comments under sites, rankings on this thread, team principals' top ten, drivers' top ten etc.), and have counted up how many total points all the drivers had, using the 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 scoring system for positions in the rankings. These are the results:

1. Lewis Hamilton 457
2. Max Verstappen 410
3. Daniel Ricciardo 269
4. Charles Leclerc 224
5. Pierre Gasly 217
6. Carlos Sainz 204
7. Sergio Perez 199
8. George Russell 113
9. Lando Norris 93
10. Valtteri Bottas 33
11. Sebastian Vettel 6
12. Kevin Magnussen 4
13. Romain Grosjean 4
14. Kimi Raikkonen 3
15. Esteban Ocon 2
16. Daniil Kvyat 1
17. Lance Stroll 1
18. Alex Albon 1
19. Antonio Giovinazzi 0
20. Nicholas Latifi 0

The problem this year is that almost everyone had the same drivers in the top ten (in various orders), so drivers outside the top ten were too heavily influenced by one strange ranking (for example, Vettel was only in one top ten). However, I think it is interesting for the drivers in the top ten.

Only one ranking was ignored in the count; F1Pete's ranking on this site. There's no such thing as a 'correct' ranking, but there definitely is such thing as a 'wrong' ranking.