Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 Jun 2001, 20:49 (Ref:105637)   #1
Marc C
Rookie

Marc C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1957 Connaught auction: info required !!!

I've posted nearly the same subject in Atlas TNF here: http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread...threadid=23597

I've already read some articles about the final auction of the remaining Connaughts in September 1957. Unluckily my sources (in French) were not very precise.

I know that the ex-Piero Scotti (B6) was not sold. The C-type was not sold too, as the salesmen required a minimum of 3.000 £ and no one went above 500 £.

Bernie Ecclestone bought 2 cars, including B3 for 2.100 £ and an other for 1.950 £.

In fact, my main source didn't quote the name of Bernie and called him Mr Underworld. The other buyers would be (according this source) the firm Auto-Speed, from Liverpool who acquired a B-type for 1.850 £, Brian Combes (who had B2 for 1.725 £) and Brian Naylor (who gave 1.600 £ for another B-type).

An other source quote the name of John Young, an ex-Connaught driver.

Some spare materials, including chassis and engines were also put up in auction...

I would be very interested to read the autosport report about the sale (or any articles written about it just after the auction).

The figures may be wrong as it came from only one source.

I just add an open question. Do you know the present owners (+ contact) of those cars, all Connaughts in fact ?