Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Sep 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3851410)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They want to go to venues in countries that people KNOW, and people KNOW where Spa is, it is linked to existing motorsport, this seems to be the drive behind IMG and their track policy.

Again, they care about one thing, money and reputations, nothing else.

Why Lydden is gone, why Hockenheim and Barcelona appeared and why Spa will too likely.

Instead of working with what is there, they want venues they can build themselves, no doubt because they are also involved and can earn from it.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3851411)   #27
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
They want to go to venues in countries that people KNOW, and people KNOW where Spa is, it is linked to existing motorsport, this seems to be the drive behind IMG and their track policy.
It is slightly ironic that Mettet was a new IMG circuit (one of the first) with ImG moving it from Maasmechelen to a bigger venue. Now we are talking as if Mettet was a stalwart.

It's a shame to lose it. As you say Steve it was close to Calais, offered good viewing and some good races too.

Spa isn't much further but I do worry about where the circuit will go and if it will either be pokey or have bad viewing due to hills and trees.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3851423)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mettet was not an IMG track, I think it was a venue that was on the verge of building a rallycross track and like Lydden and a few others IMG gave them a sort of nudge to do so. I doubt IMG had a hand in any of it, but I think they do in the newer tracks like Latviz, Silverstone, Barcelona and Hockenheim when it ran.

What I feel is that IMG are trying to do what the Supercross and MXGP and speedway and the like do and take a team to venues to BUILD a track for the contract length, obviously they don't pay for it, this is all paid for by the venue/promoter, IMG pay nothing.

Do you think WRX has outgrown it? I do not. I feel it is a fairly poor track for fans, seeing that you can only watch from certain areas, but again, that is seemingly what IMG wants, big stands, overlooking a central arena type, RC racing deal.

Mettet has a long history of motorsport, the track was built yes for rallycross, and with WRX in mind clearly, but WRX feel they have outgrown that venue. It has been used for a few other things too.

They have a clear directive, and that is to take RX to F1 locations as often as possible.

I have no real idea why, but as with the pre-existing venues they don't give a toss about what has been spent to build them, they only think they can sell more tickets at an F1 venue. And then charge the track for the build or the consultation.

And Silverstone proved, that doesn't always work, decent though the crowd was, I doubt it was significantly bigger than Lydden.

But what I am betting is that Silverstone PAID a lot more to have it than Lydden, hence the insane pricing.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3851464)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mettet was not built for rallycross.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3851466)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
On facebook of RX Inside a reaction from someone who says also Höljes and Buxtehude will be replaced.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3851488)   #31
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
On facebook of RX Inside a reaction from someone who says also Höljes and Buxtehude will be replaced.
He wrote that he heard a rumour, it wasn't a reaction. I doubt it very much since I haven't heard anything about it either.

On the contrary I heard today that they are a negotiating a five-year deal. There was an article in local newspaper NWT in Värmland as well a month about ago that things were looking kinda good for Höljes.

However, nothing is confirmed though.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3851723)   #32
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mettet was not built for rallycross.
And i don't think we have national rallycross there, now WRX is gone.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 06:33 (Ref:3851724)   #33
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Quote:
Last year Buxtehude was to crowded.
They have problems with carparks, so people parked cars on the road...
This is no advantage for next years.

Also, how much track do you see in Buxtehude?
Buxtehude is a great track, but WRX is way to big.

On the other hand, DTM and WRX in Hockenheim split, because WRX was in the shadow.
Now DTM needs other serries to fill the program. (no more Audi cup, no Porsche cup...) This could be the right time to go back to Hockenheim.
Great RX track, great for watching, seen some great racing there!
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3851755)   #34
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, this would mean that only Montalegre, Hell and Lohéac are left as "traditional" RX tracks. A terrible prospect .
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3851756)   #35
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
Last year Buxtehude was to crowded.

They have problems with carparks, so people parked cars on the road...
This is no advantage for next years.
Well, your right. The Estering is a great track, the atmosphere is fantastic and it´s only a 30 minute drive from home for me . But the venue is way too small and there is no room for expansion.

Last year I decided to park my car in Buxtehude and go to the track by taxi as I didn´t want to risk my (lowered) car to get damaged on the carpark. They have to find a better solution.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3851817)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
IMG want to be at GP tracks, if they could have every round at one, that would be their goal. They maybe rightly think WRC is for NEW fans only, they don't want old fans, and new fans don't know where Nyiraid is, os Slomczyn, they know where Spa is, or Monza.

They don't care about the track quality, the size, the fact that modern rallycross now in their eyes is sort of rough asphalt and tar, not loose or gravel. it only looks like rallycross at all when it rains.

They have already priced rallycross away from older venues, unless they get massive crowds as that is the only way a Loheac, Holjes can pay for the hosting fees, the GP tracks have money anyway and are sold on the marketing that it will bring in massive crowds, which it may or may not do, but the GP tracks have the finances to risk more than say Lydden Hill do or Maasmecehelen who would be ruined by one loss making meeting.

This is their model, the old model of smaller venues did not work. Turkey, Argentina, Italy, all fell away quickly.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3851825)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nasser Al-Attiyah is close to sign with ES Motorsport to drive a Skoda Fabia.
Old 22 Sep 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3851996)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Nasser Al-Attiyah is close to sign with ES Motorsport to drive a Skoda Fabia.
They have Dutchman Kevin Abbring as a test driver so I was wondering is the ES Motosport Skoda the Dutch built car or is that another project?
Old 22 Sep 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3852031)   #39
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They have Dutchman Kevin Abbring as a test driver so I was wondering is the ES Motosport Skoda the Dutch built car or is that another project?
Different projects, ES Motorsports Fabia is car built French Vaison and Czech Engineering. Not affiliated.

Funny how both cars have been prepared for quite a while.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 06:25 (Ref:3852335)   #40
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Quote:
This one is for CSUCSU...
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3852431)   #41
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
You both are right.

The CSUCSU / OTS Racing Fabia is almost ready:

Old 1 Oct 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3853802)   #42
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Euro RX at Silverstone?

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...-2019/3183532/

Interesting that the article mentions that the "paddock was tight at Silverstone". I thought that was part of the justification for leaving Lydden?

I wonder if the addition of EuroRX will result in another hike in ticket prices?
Old 1 Oct 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3853809)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Euro RX at Silverstone?

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...-2019/3183532/

Interesting that the article mentions that the "paddock was tight at Silverstone". I thought that was part of the justification for leaving Lydden?

I wonder if the addition of EuroRX will result in another hike in ticket prices?
On the plus side it does look like they're responding to some of the criticism of this years Silverstone event - not enough track action.

On the other hand unless the price comes down it's still too expensive - just not value for money.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3853819)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
On the other hand unless the price comes down it's still too expensive - just not value for money.
Yeah, even if the ERX was added I still think last years ticket price would be too steep.

(I would assume that ARX won't be there next year either?)
Old 1 Oct 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3853909)   #45
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Maybe they will ditch the festival thing if paddock space is tight and that will bring g the price down. If they do a 50% discount for the first X number of tickets and if they make the back section of the dull track quicker, then I'd go. 45 to 55 supercars is always fun to watch. Just not for 90 quid!!
Old 1 Oct 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3853916)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It's aimed at noobs who wouldn't know the difference between this and the Silverstone Classic, the sooner you guys understand, the sooner you understand the pricing.

ERX is simply there to get more RX fans to go, and it will probably work, they can't stand missing out, even if it means losing a lot.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3853935)   #47
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Of course, money is all relative to disposable income.

Whilst it doesn't represent value for money compared to other WRX events, it is only about 20% more than the average football match of 90 minutes.

But it needs to be entertaining. The circuit isn't entertaining at all. I'd pay 90 quid to go watch WrX and ERX at Lydden.

PS. Continuously insulting other people who choose to spend their money on something they enjoy is tiresome. You've made your point; give it a rest.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3853936)   #48
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Why should I, feeding that series is simply going to make it worse? keep giving drugs and money to the drug dealer, what is he going to do?

I would never pay any more than 30 quid to watch rallycross, it is not entertaining enough, close enough, varied enough, watchable enough to warrant ANY more.

If people like you keep handing it over, what happens next? 100 quid, 150? Are you stark raving mad?

You do know how these companies work don't you? have you played a AAA game recently? Why compare it to football, the sports are chalk and cheese different, there is no team in rallycross, there is no tribalism, if you knew that you would never make that comparison.

Or are you so blind that continually handing over hundreds of pounds a year to watch something you enjoy, whilst it actually takes it away from its roots, its history and its development in every country it visits.

I admit I have a grudge, and so would you if you had watched the sport you love be utterly taken apart piece by piece by a profiteering American monstrosity

It's your conscience fella, not mine. Mine is very clear.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3853981)   #49
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
You sound pretty tribalistic to me Chunder. It's just that your team packed up in the early 90s.

I have been following rallycross for almost 30 years and also saw it in the group B days. They were great days, there's no denying that. But those days are gone. And they weren't exactly without their flaws. Reliability was atrocious, racing wasnt always as close as you remember it (we have a bunch of Brands events on VHS and it was often quite spread out across the classes). You'll deny this of course, due to your tribalism no doubt, but it's true.

On the money front, it's really a simple question of personal choice. Mr not buying a ticket to Speedmachine 2018 will do nothing to prevent its return in 2019. My constant criticism of the prices on any Facebook page I could find will do little to reduce the 2019 costs. I hope it does of course, but I'm not naive enough to think that it will.

So then it becomes a simple choice. Do I pay the money to watch something I enjoy, or do i spend it on something else? The choice is determined by factors such as the entry list and the circuit. I'm not sure silverstone is worth it if they put 100 supercars on. But if they made the track faster and more overtaking spots (like Lydden) then I'd consider it.

You fail to grasp that others have different opinions to you, different priorities, perhaps different ideals as to value for money. The comparison to football or any other sport is not irrelevant just because there are no teams (which isn't true of course, as there are teams in rallycross, they just aren't as established as, say, F1 and of course never will be). The comparison is there because it is a pastime that punters spend money on. For some it's F1, BTCC, golf, football, rugby, cricket. Living in London I am used to paying over the odds for all sporting events.

For me, a rallycross event with ERX is good value at 50 quid. Adjusting for inflation, I doubt that's much more than it cost in the 80s. Maybe 10 quid more. For me, that's a price worth paying to watch some of the most exciting motor racing around.

I doubt that the sport misses your attendance.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3854006)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I am positive it doesn't miss me, as I do not miss watching it.

I, and you, are not their audience. You would pay to watch cars testing, you would pay to watch 20 cars driving round Lydden, give or take, that is not what they want. They want new money, bored F1 fans, that's ALL. They will do anything to get them, and anything to keep the rapidly leaving manufacturers, hence the cretinous jump to electric.

They want new people, they don't CARE about old fans, fans who know rallycross, know its past, follow it regionally.

Yes the sport has moved on, I was fine with that initially, but not now.

The comparison with football is nonsensical, you don't support a team in rallycross, through thick and thin for decades, promotions, Cup runs, it isn't about competing for that money. That team is like family, I know because I do it, I rarely watch them, I can't because of pricing and travel, but they will always be my team. They are not competing for my dollar, as they are different sports entirely. Rallycross used to be my motorsport, but it has been systematically taken apart by a corporate greedmonger. It would be like football banning goalies, playing on 5 a side pitches and banning the FA cup for small teams. That is what these ******s have done.

I simply have too much of a conscience to hand over money to these people, they have totally ruined the sport I once loved.

It is not as good as it was, it is laughingly unstable, massively predictable, samey, more expensive, less cars (most of the time), pricing intelf away from its base, uncaring about the future and the sport and really rather unsavoury.

If it means missing out fair enough, but I am not really, I watch it occasionally and the hype never matches the action, it has a shelf life.

And the sooner older fans realise this, the sooner you should just not bother, if it bombs, it will become what it was before, a great amateur sport with a few semi pro's, racing at small, watchable venues with a club atmosphere, loads of support classes with varying cars and cheap prices.

But, hey you carry on.

I guess my other point, is that a lot of motorsport really doesn't excite me anymore, rallycross used to, but now, when you add in the pricing and the value? It's like watching Scalextric, and that makes t just like F1, sorry, but it just ain't worth it.