Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 10 Apr 2002, 08:29 (Ref:256190)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gulf Racing at Le Mans 2002

I have just found this story at dailysportcar.com:-

Marc Laffeas reports from France that Gulf should be back at Le Mans this year, with their colours on a Freisinger Porsche GT3-RS.

Chad McQueen will be in the seat of this newly Gulf-liveried entry. He's the son of Steve McQueen of course, and will also take part in the 2002 edition of the Le Mans Classic event in September, with a Porsche 917 driven by his father in the early seventies.

Chad is actually recovering from a broken leg, but is now confident of his involvement in the great race.

Luc Besson is of course making a film during / after the race this year, which is a neat 'coincidence' as Chad's father was such a key part of the classic 1971 film.

Now that will be a sight to see at Le Mans in June
Old 10 Apr 2002, 09:03 (Ref:256209)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A gulf Porsche - cool!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 09:30 (Ref:256218)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
can i take the opportunity to thank all dailysportscar.com subscribers for keeping up-to-date the more financially challenged of us.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:07 (Ref:256350)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, very fitting to see the Gulf colours on Chadwick's motor. Does anyone know who his team-mates will be yet?

And I agree with kdr's comments too.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:19 (Ref:256361)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent!!!

We may actually take an interest in a GT Porsche for once!!!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:14 (Ref:256971)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I had the same news by an other local paper... my favourite painting for a race car !

And Ayse... just THINK about what we will see in september ! You just CAN'T stay in Lymington watching your lawn growing !

Last edited by Fab; 11 Apr 2002 at 06:15.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 08:43 (Ref:257022)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
didn't two gt porsches give us the best moment of 2000 race, right at the end?

i'm still not clear in my mind what was going on....but i enjoyed it anyway!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 09:16 (Ref:257046)   #8
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
didn't two gt porsches give us the best moment of 2000 race, right at the end?
Do I recall that the bloke whose hood blew open after having his windscreen removed didn't actually finish the race. But he still go a huge cheer for trying!

FG
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:16 (Ref:257304)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would that be the same guy who drove an entire lap of La Sarthe whilst leaning out of his door?!!!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:21 (Ref:257311)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, that's him, Lucas Drudi if I can remember... uh no, maybe more Babini...

Last edited by Fab; 11 Apr 2002 at 14:21.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:55 (Ref:257346)   #11
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That old chestnut. Forgive the repeat but I posted the following description of that a few months ago.

"For sheer drama though the windowless, bonnet up GT3 Porsche from 2000 takes my prize.

Fabio Babini came in (already without a screen - I think) for a routine stop within sight of the finish, lying 2nd in class (actually first in reality as the Dick Barbour Porsche was later disqualified). He reached the end of the pit lane and the bonnet flew up completely blocking his view. So he drove round the circuit at high speed hanging out of the door to reach his pit eight and a half miles later. Quick strapping down of the bonnet to great cheers and he exits to start a wheel banging battle to the flag with the ultimate class winner the Taisan GT3, sadly to go into the kitty litter somewhere (near the FOrd chicane?) on the penultimate lap. All for nothing.

I for one was delighted that he returned to win the class in the 2001 race (in the Seikel GT3 Porsche) after a very close battle again with the Freisinger GT3 Porsche (even out distancing the GTS Corvettes!!!)."
Old 11 Apr 2002, 15:18 (Ref:257353)   #12
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by iucrmh
Fabio Babini came in (already without a screen - I think) for a routine stop within sight of the finish
I believe he came in with the screen shattered but intact (if you follow my meaning), I presume by gravel thown onto the track then onto his screen. I seem to recall the crew ripping the screen off with some vigour.

FG
Old 11 Apr 2002, 15:36 (Ref:257359)   #13
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did'nt they remove the rear screen when they strapped the bonnet down?
I seem to remember something about this on radio Le Mans when he came in for the second / last stop.
Or did I imagine this??????
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:11 (Ref:257366)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the 2000 yearbook

15:32 Broken windscreen removed
15:33 Front bonnet opens at pit exit
15:36 Slow lap withbonnet up and door open
15:39 Windscreen changed
15:39 Stop at Mulsanne LH rear tyre blow out
18th retirement - Stopped on circuit

SL
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:27 (Ref:257377)   #15
kdr
Veteran

i seem to remember huge cheers as him and the other porsche went hammer and tongs at the last chicance, shortly before or after the audi cavalcade made its way thru at a leisurely pace....maybe selective rosy memory
Old 11 Apr 2002, 17:43 (Ref:257426)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

And Ayse... just THINK about what we will see in september ! You just CAN'T stay in Lymington watching your lawn growing !
My good lady has given me the all-clear for the Classic, Fab - provided I can fund it!! Actually, I'm hoping to be travelling over in something quite stylish - but more on that later......
Old 12 Apr 2002, 05:35 (Ref:257851)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

My good lady has given me the all-clear for the Classic, Fab - provided I can fund it!! Actually, I'm hoping to be travelling over in something quite stylish - but more on that later......
Hourraaa for Mrs Aysedasi !

Waiting for the "stylish" trip (what's that ?) !
Old 12 Apr 2002, 08:06 (Ref:257907)   #18
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards the Babini rear windscreen. Strangely they
didn't remove the rear screen, which you might think would be the sensible thing to do. I seem to remember the two lead GT's having to find a way past the 3 lead Audis which were running in formation. Could have all ended in tears. BTW, there are rules in place this year to avoid the ridiculously slow last lap of last year.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 08:23 (Ref:257912)   #19
kdr
Veteran

thats what i remember most about 2000...and the great tan i got as well.

i read somewhere that chad mqueen is a half decent driver?
Old 12 Apr 2002, 18:40 (Ref:258348)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr

i read somewhere that chad mqueen is a half decent driver?
Well he took the wheel of a 917 very briefly on the Mulsanne in 1970 when he was only 10!

(Let's hope he's acquired a little more experience since then.......)
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:25 (Ref:258369)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Thats not fair!!!! I'm gonna have to have words with my old man!!!!