Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 24 Sep 2003, 17:01 (Ref:728882)   #26
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by MA2
previously patented things cannot be re-patented unless significant changes are made - significant enough to meet the criteria that it is a 'new' item -
While the basic principle, the use of cams instead of a crankshaft, is common to all three designs, their application is fundamentally different.

Of the three, the Revetec is the only one in which a pair of pistons is rigidly fixed together, both moving in the same direction as the engine rotates. Seems to me that there's a big out-of-balance force there........

Last edited by Dave Brand; 24 Sep 2003 at 17:02.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 22:02 (Ref:734637)   #27
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely two exacly opposite cylinders would counter that and the gyroscopic effects of the 'cam' shaft would help eliminate the torque effect from the power strokes.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 00:08 (Ref:734708)   #28
MA2
Rookie

MA2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably you are correct, The design calls for the cams to run in opposite directions, and in the case of a 4 cylinder design, the two pairs run in opposing directions, so that should balance things out pretty good.

The only thing in the design that I'm not too sure about is the twisting motion that the plate between the cylinders must have to resist. As the 2 cams rotate in opposite directions, the loads at the contact points on the bearings will impart a torque on that plate.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out over time.