Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1505343)   #1
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
INTERNATIONAL HISTORIC MOTORSPORT SHOW 2006 Stoneleigh

Group B rally cars in action, many driven by the great names of rallying.

Bjorn Waldegard (1979 FIA World Rally Champion) at the wheel of an ex-works 1980 Fiat 131 Abarth, an immediate forerunner of the Group B rally cars.

Russell Brookes at the wheel of a genuine Group B Opel Manta 400 in Rothmans colours

An ex-works 1971 Alpine Renault A110, driven by Charles Reynolds.

Audi quattro A2, Porsche 911 SCRS, Lancia Rallye 037, Peugeot 205 Turbo 16, Renault 5 Maxi Turbo, Nissan 240 RS (the actual car sponsored in its day by pop group UB40), MG Metro 6R4 and Ford RS200. the ex-Carlos Sainz 1992 Toyota Celica, in Repsol livery.

Anybody going?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 21 Jan 2006 at 12:36. Reason: Do not quote press releases verbatim.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1506795)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Yep, I'm going (probably on the Sunday). Does anybody know what times the Group B cars are running?
Old 23 Jan 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1507134)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slightly more information about the rally cars appearing at the show can be found in the link below.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78507
Old 23 Jan 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1507260)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
might pop up on the sunday depending what else is happening, never been and just to see.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1507579)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I might be going on the Saturday, not sure yet.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 20:27 (Ref:1507598)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I should be popping along.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1507893)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suggest thread title is changed to reflect correct name of this event? Historic MotorSPORT Show. Also should it not be in the Historic forum?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1507902)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Suggest thread title is changed to reflect correct name of this event?
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Also should it not be in the Historic forum?
Its an event and Trackside is where we discuss events. (See Autosport International thread).
Old 29 Jan 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1511252)   #9
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Latest Press release

Just picked this up:

MEN AND MACHINES
at the International Historic Motorsport Show 2006

The following cars will be displayed:

-The Lotus 49 Formula 1 car used by Jim Clark to win the 1968 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami.
-The Richard Burns East African Safari car.
-The only Ferrari motorcycle ever built

A host of motorsport stars will attend the Show, including Bjorn Waldegard, David Richards, Pentti Airikkala, Paddy Hopkirk, Russell Brookes and Rosemary Smith from the world of four wheels; plus Giacomo Agostini, Mick Grant, Phil Read and Steve Parrish from the world of two wheels.

The full Press Release can be found in the Press Release forum, this has been edited to extract the most interesting information - Asp

Last edited by Asp; 29 Jan 2006 at 14:28. Reason: Please don't copy Press Releases in full
Old 6 Feb 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1516526)   #10
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Pipe and I will be there with a few others on Saturday, if you see someone with retromotosport written on them say hello
Old 6 Feb 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1516648)   #11
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I'll be there if i can blag a ticket.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1531458)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just got back, I had great day. The show is way better than the Autosport, the Grp B cars where fantastic, even though it was a bit cold watching them.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1531465)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd be cold cos it was outside.

Not going tomorrow like I originally hoped, gotta work!
Old 25 Feb 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1531502)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a great show, very busy. Lots of lovely cars and if going Sunday, pop by and say hello, stand P56 in hall 2A ("Art, Antiques & Autos" stand). I'm working on a Jim Clark Brands 1964 original painting at the show.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1531562)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It was nice to meet you Andrew, and the Jim Clark pictures looks great.

A great show again. Even in such a relatively small area I still don't think we saw everything before closing time. Busy but not so packed that you have to fight to get anywhere, and notably free of the T&A Max Power element that seems to have invaded Autosport over the last few years. Much closer in spirit to the old Olympia Racing Car Show.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1531955)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So er,

Any more reports?
Old 26 Feb 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1532009)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I went there on the way back from a trade show at the NEC but they made me park in a field about 1.5 miles away from the place so I gave up and went home, me legs were already killing me from walking around the NEC and I could not face another hike all uphill. :-)
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1532048)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
.............they made me park in a field about 1.5 miles away from the place
Can't blame them for that. Did you tell them you would be there or did they just recognise you?
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1532063)   #19
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£4 for parking
£18 for entry
£5 for program,

it is an expensive day out, dont know if I would bother going again (its the same reason i give autosport a miss).

Having said that, there was some cracking cars there, can-am maclaren, 1937 Auto Union v16 (and supercharger), vanwalls, lola t-70, group b rally cars etc.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1532077)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Can't blame them for that. Did you tell them you would be there or did they just recognise you?
Peter I am rapidly coming to the conclusion you are not a very nice person
Old 26 Feb 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1532138)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You know him well then Al

The Marshals Club had a stand there, did anyone venture over to say hello?
Old 27 Feb 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1532343)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
they made me park in a field about 1.5 miles away from the place so I gave up and went home
We just got on the courtesy bus

Group B stuff was good although the 205 T16 was out of action by Sunday afternoon (I think it was gearbox related problems?). Quite impressed with the rover that had the 27 litre engine too - that'll be an animal when it's finished off!
Old 27 Feb 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1532374)   #23
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
...Quite impressed with the rover that had the 27 litre engine too - that'll be an animal when it's finished off!
Yes. I was hoping to entice him out in Classic Thunder to give Nigel Garrett a run for his money! What on earth pocesses a man to attempt such a thing! Utterly mad.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1532379)   #24
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What stand was that on "Practical" Performance or something...I couldnt help thinking 27 litres not very practical though I cant wait to see that baby in action
Old 27 Feb 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1532701)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
We just got on the courtesy bus
No bus running by the time I got there, if there was I did not see it.